Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Being out in the midwest, I'd also hope it has a default preference lane. On open multi-lane freeways I don't want people passing me on the right. Then again I should not be in the passing lane in the first place unless I'm passing someone.

On the other hand, in heavy city traffic being in the correct lane is something you often need to do a mile or more beforehand.

Maybe both situations call for manual positioning.
This is probably also a cultural thing. But around here there is a default lane, the right lane.

And for very good reason. Having a mix of fast and slow drivers in both lanes induced unsafe driving behavior like zig-zag driving by fast drivers to get faster ahead and many times more lane changes.

Having slow drivers only in right lane, and fast drivers only while overtaking in left lane induces a lot less lane changes and improves traffic congestion significantly for all drivers. I hope they had that in mind when adapting AP2 to other regions.

Also car was 1week short of AP2 and I also noticed that rear camera is mutch more clear then on early 2016. It is same clear as 2018 loaner I had few days ago.
Confusing...
Yes, Tesla switched out the rear camera for a better one around the same time. But unfortunately you don't have the other hardware (the other 6 cameras or the SoC/computer) to have EAP capabilities. I believe the rear camera isn't even connected to the AP Mobileye chip, it only displays a video stream to the center screen and therefore isn't used at all with AutoPilot.

Why is the car not going back to the right lane after overtaking slower traffic? At the end you get the same result as if you positioned the car to the most left lane from the start.

There will be a lots of tickets at least in Europe for this stupid behavior, as we are usually not allowed in the other lanes than the right one when not overtaking (unless in a city).

Why is the car not going back to the right lane after overtaking slower traffic? At the end you get the same result as if you positioned the car to the most left lane from the start.

There will be a lots of tickets at least in Europe for this stupid behavior, as we are usually not allowed in the other lanes than the right one when not overtaking (unless in a city).

You can always hit the blinker to move over ;-)

I think it just needs to be optimized a bit more. The current implementation is showing great promise, but it will not be perfect on day 1.

With what, exactly? The MobileEye chip is the only thing that can remotely implement computer vision and it's a fixed system and has no connection to any camera but the one in the housing (CAN-Bus is not fast enough to pipe video into it, not to mention the chip doesn't support video input through there).

The MCU 1 and arguably MCU2 can't efficiently run neural nets like the ones that APE is running.

There's just not really a way to implement this. For sure AP2 is using a combination of the repeaters and rear camera to perform distance estimation by vision. But this is something that took Tesla 2+ years to start getting right, with loads of compute power.

The MCU can see the backing camera. You can run fast and efficient car recognition without deep learning too. "Classical" machine learning / computer vision can be used. The Tegra should handle that. And since it's a "slow" situation you don't need 200 FPS processing. Older raspberry PIs were even able to do this with OpenCV.

They probably won't do it because it's too much hassle and introduces new code paths for old cars, and is an inferior and not 100% solution. :p

Yes, except other slow drivers would also hang out in the left lane too. So to overtake you have to shift lanes left-right all the time, or at worst you get stuck behind two slow drivers occupying both lanes. Silly behaviour, makes no sense to encourage that.

I guess this is one of the reasons Drive on Nav comes later in Europe. Because they have to test/adapt to European driving culture and laws.

• Love
Reactions: boonedocks
That's the dream, I want to move to Europe now. :) My commute is riddled with people going 65 mph (104 km) across all 5 lanes of traffic like a slow moving barricade.

I'm curious how Tesla is going to tackle cultural driving behavior in EAP. I guess we'll find out soon

I can’t wait until tomorrow morning!! The anticipation is killing me lol.
I also wouldn't get too excited. I'd be very surprised at this point if they start a wide v9.0 rollout tomorrow... With that said, 39.2 feels pretty polished/has the release notes cleaned up/etc and feels like it could be the GM or close to it.

In any case, if you're like me and don't get your car onto wifi very often, make sure it sits for a day or two connected to a good WiFi signal so you can pull down the latest maps that are needed for navigate on autopilot. These should download even on older firmware and will get you ready to go as quickly as possible once v9 is released.

Can we get some videos of what the “require confirmation” UI looks like? I presume a message pops up and then you have to pull the Autopilot stalk or something in response?

Would be cool to see what we are getting “tomorrow”

From the description in the release notes, it should look similar to what you see in the videos without requiring confirmation: the lane it wants to go in gets a gray flashing line going down it.

That's the dream, I want to move to Europe now. :) My commute is riddled with people going 65 mph (104 km) across all 5 lanes of traffic like a slow moving barricade.

I'm curious how Tesla is going to tackle cultural driving behavior in EAP. I guess we'll find out soon

Speaking of cultural behaviour. How does it handle cars merging in today? Either it doesn't react at all or it simply doesn't slow down early enough. I always have to disable it when a car comes on in a merging situation.

Reactions: navguy12
I also wouldn't get too excited. I'd be very surprised at this point if they start a wide v9.0 rollout tomorrow... With that said, 39.2 feels pretty polished/has the release notes cleaned up/etc and feels like it could be the GM or close to it.

In any case, if you're like me and don't get your car onto wifi very often, make sure it sits for a day or two connected to a good WiFi signal so you can pull down the latest maps that are needed for navigate on autopilot. These should download even on older firmware and will get you ready to go as quickly as possible once v9 is released.

Is there any way to tell if maps have been downloaded if you aren't able to monitor wifi traffic?

Speaking of cultural behaviour. How does it handle cars merging in today? Either it doesn't react at all or it simply doesn't slow down early enough. I always have to disable it when a car comes on in a merging situation.
For me, it brakes once the car has already entered the lane. I keep following distance to 3-4 so that there is somewhat enough room for someone to merge in. But yesterday someone cut into my lane and the car slammed on the brakes, so I had to disengage it.

I hope they get the turn signal detection down soon, because more often than not I have to disengage to yield to a merging vehicle.