Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.8.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So does anyone with AP2.5 see the same problems , and does anyone with AP2.0 not see these problems?

i.e. is it just that this version is better optimized for HW2.5, or is it something else entirely?
I got 2019.8.4 last night (AP 2.0). It drove perfectly well in AP fro my 20km commute this morning. No problems.

Got 2019.8.4 on both cars, no chance to drive either yet. Only comments are; the 3 broke the USB, it was a small one and fsomehow it write protected it. Nothing I could do to fix it, google failed totally on me. :D

I finally put in a larger 32 GB one, figuring the 2019.5.15 dashcam on the 3 (not exactly relevant to this thread, but still about why the USBs break) had filled it up and done weirdness

On the X, no release notes, need to check in the AM to see if they ‘appear’ and then try out the new features.

Did anyone check off what we did get finally in that separate thread of ‘coming features’ for 2019.8/9’? Was looking for it but can’t lay my hands on it. Believe it was broken off from this or another thread a while back?

Edit; here it is, title mislead me!
What are we missing?

Last edited:
2017 Model S AP2.0/MCU 1 - got 8.4 today and city Autopilot seems much smoother. More human, for sure. Long drive tomorrow + Atlanta traffic, so we’ll see how it holds up. Also, MCU interfaces seem quite a bit snappier.
Agreed, autosteer is much better on urban roads, which I use a lot of. Not trying to dart down side streets nor run into curbs anymore. Take off behind cars at lights is still glacial though.

My Model S received the 2019.8.4 (MCU 1, AP 2.0) update last night after driving to and from work today (approx. 90km) I can say that this is by far the best AP so far, no more panic slow downs when someone changes into my lane just in front of me and tonight I tried the NOA and the car drove a busy Hwy 16 like a champ. Before this release the AP seemed to like to stay close to the center line on the HWY,s but this one keeps the car right in the center of the lane at all times.

Well, I've got a new problem on 2019.8.4. It refuses to connect to the wifi it's been using for a couple of years. A power down and restart didn't help, and neither did removing and re-entering the configuration.
Try turning car off.
1. Select controls on your screen (the car icon)
2. Select Safety and security
3. Select power off
it will ask you if you are sure
The car will shut down, you will want to leave it in this status for about 3 minutes. During that time you will want to avoid waking the car, please do not open any doors, push the brakes, or grab the steering wheel. Try to remain as still as possible. After about 3 minutes you can wake the car, either push the brakes or open and close the door.
Once the car has rebooted you will perform a scroll wheel reset
1. Hold the scroll wheels on your steering wheel for about 20-30 seconds
2. You will see your touch screen shut down, continue to hold the scroll wheels until the Tesla "T" comes back on the screen

This worked for me on another issue, might work for you.

Try turning car off.
1. Select controls on your screen (the car icon)
2. Select Safety and security
3. Select power off
it will ask you if you are sure
The car will shut down, you will want to leave it in this status for about 3 minutes. During that time you will want to avoid waking the car, please do not open any doors, push the brakes, or grab the steering wheel. Try to remain as still as possible. After about 3 minutes you can wake the car, either push the brakes or open and close the door.
Once the car has rebooted you will perform a scroll wheel reset
1. Hold the scroll wheels on your steering wheel for about 20-30 seconds
2. You will see your touch screen shut down, continue to hold the scroll wheels until the Tesla "T" comes back on the screen

This worked for me on another issue, might work for you.
Yes I described doing that in my original post. "A power down and restart didn't help"

Reactions: Gt1948 and boaterva
Agreed, autosteer is much better on urban roads, which I use a lot of. Not trying to dart down side streets nor run into curbs anymore. Take off behind cars at lights is still glacial though.
I'm on 8.3 but I've noticed that it seems slightly quicker to start moving once the car in front starts moving. Before it seemed like the car in front was a good 15-20 yards away before mine would start to move. Now it seems to react sooner. The acceleration is still way too slow for my liking though as you mentioned.

Just wanted to close out my issue with the blindspot detection error that was showing previously.

I'm now running 8.4 and did about 100+ miles driving on that FW. All is well. Release notes display every time, side cameras display on instrument panel, and the phantom braking seems to have calmed down a bit.

The tech had to replace my driver's side sidemarker camera unit, pulled logs from the car, and staged my 8.4 download. But strange enough when I left the service center, my 8.3 was fixed. Who knows....

This is AP2/MCU1, But Oct 2016 build.

I got tap to *cancel* lane change with NoA, which is annoying since NoA wants to change lanes two miles earlier than necessary, so I do not want unconfirmed lane change. I no longer use NoA. I submitted feedback to Tesla that unconfirmed lane changes should be an option.

For those who like NoA, do you not have traffic issues or the NoA trying to exit too early?

Only problem is it doesn't work as expected. I tap the "cancel button" and it pops right back up in 2-3 seconds later repeatedly until I pass the particular point it incessantly wants to changes lanes. One would expect it to cancel that particular lane change completely but it pops right back up until past the point of whatever it is wanting to change lanes for.

2017 Model S AP2.0/MCU 1 - got 8.4 today and city Autopilot seems much smoother. More human, for sure. Long drive tomorrow + Atlanta traffic, so we’ll see how it holds up. Also, MCU interfaces seem quite a bit snappier.

~125 mile highway drive this morning in both dark and light. This is the best highway AP I’ve seen so far. Very smooth. Much improved lane changes.

Also, prior to this release the speed limit while using an Express Lane (isolated lane) in Atlanta would jump around as the express lane overpasses went over roads with differing speed limits, which made Autosteer almost unusable as these lanes move fast and frequent braking occurred. This appears MUCH improved in 8.4. Not perfect, but much better.