Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies for being purposely vague, but let me just clarify that my decision to back off on this is not dictated by Tesla or anyone at Tesla... as much as they seem to wish that were the case. I can legally continue doing what I do, saying what I say, etc... but, unfortunately, the risk in continuing to do so on this matter is just a bit too high for me to deal with at the moment.

So while I can technically keep poking the bear on this by posting more information, revelations, and such... the bear has quite a few more teeth than I do (read: money and lawyers) if it decides to make my life miserable... and I have good reason to believe this particular bear will tolerate no further poking from me on this.

Edit: On that note, it does seem like a lawsuit is the only way this is going to get anywhere... so, again, best of luck with the class action.

18 U.S. Code § 1512.Tampering with a witness, victim, or an informant

18 U.S. Code § 1513.Retaliating against a witness, victim, or an informant

Recently I've lost an additional 4 miles from my initial 26 miles while it settled. Today I charged and miraculously I've recovered 3 of the 4 miles. No new firmware updates. A side effect now is I haven't been able to connect to my car through the Tesla app for at least that last 2 days that I've tried. Either by WiFi or 4G. I can still stream music through 4G and I've done the rebooting of CID, binnacle, and turn car off for 3 minutes to no avail.

On top of that, last time TeslaFi has been able to log my drives was August 2nd.

Told me that they had this happen to someone else and would see if my pack had been limited to 90%. Surprise! My pack had this mysterious bug. They said they would call California and get me on a list. They said an update would come this week that I would not notice and it would be back to 248 or better. We'll see.

Do you have this in writing? Your post-service PDF should say what they did, and this is damning evidence.

I can only assume that Tesla have either changed the way kWh is calculated, or decided to reduce the minimum cell voltage to increase usable capacity !?.. at least they are less likely to catch fire at a lower steady state voltage, than higher!?
That sounds like they're falsifying the EPA rating ... not good (or legal).

This is a bad move by the owner of the sheet. We were encouraged to use it, sometimes in May and it has been a very useful tracking tool. This now discourages those who on the daily basis find out and report being impacted and want to add themselves to the list. If setting permission is done for the purpose of the audit trail it would be meaningless on Internet (what an unknown email address would tell you?). Google sheets already have a pretty good revision history control which can be used to revert to the previous version if someone messes things up.

To the owner of the sheet: Please explain.

If the sheet doesn't come back Tesla may have bullied them into hiding like they did to Jason. This confirms Jason was right though, they wouldn't try to silence him if his hints - as vague as they were - weren't accurate, and Tesla would get into a lot of trouble if they were trying to cover up what should be a safety recall.

Since this sounds like confirmation, I hope Tesla has a change of heart before someone is hurt or killed and a financially motivated coverup becomes something else.

I'm the owner of this sheet. I can reassure you that it was not intentional on my part.

Seems when first sharing the sheet I simply forgot to check the checkbox "Prevent editors from changing access and adding new people".

I saved a screenshot with a list of users who added permissions for themselves and maybe removed the public share afterwards.

The public share is now active again.

Last edited:
I'm the owner of this sheet. I can reassure you that it was not intentional on my part.

Seems when first sharing the sheet I simply forgot to check the checkbox "Prevent editors from changing access and adding new people".

I saved a screenshot with a list of users who added permissions for themselves and maybe removed the public share afterwards.

The public share is now active again.

It appears to be viewable again but editing is restricted. Could you modify my entry for battery part number (R29) from "Will add later" to "1014114-00-A"? I found out that my battery sticker either fell off or was removed at a recent service visit so I had to try to search old photos and service tickets to try to find my part number.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Can you share the numbers/screen shots of ScanMyTesla here from before and after the 2019.28 update? If Tesla increased the capacity but not the max voltage, then they are totally cheating and just pretending the range is back when it isn't. We have plenty of historical data how Tesla calculates range and if they changed that now to show a higher range that isn't there, that's going to show up.

Image 1 and 2 are on 27th July, and had 2019.24.4.
Image 3 and 4 are 9th August and had 2019.28.2.
Image 5 and 6 are 10th August
Image 7 and 8 are 11th August (this morning)

Both would have a Max cell voltage of 4.078v @ 100%, yet nominal full pack is 49.4kWh vs 49.9kWh. I'd not seen above 49.6kWh before 2019.28.2 since range reduction and I check daily. Nominal full as of 11th August has gone up to 50.3kWh (see last two images).

I will do another 100% charge today and report back.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190727-162448.jpg
    Screenshot_20190727-162448.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 88
  • Screenshot_20190727-162457.jpg
    Screenshot_20190727-162457.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot_20190809-175715.jpg
    Screenshot_20190809-175715.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Screenshot_20190809-175724.jpg
    Screenshot_20190809-175724.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_20190810-194046.jpg
    Screenshot_20190810-194046.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot_20190810-194040.jpg
    Screenshot_20190810-194040.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot_20190811-092924.jpg
    Screenshot_20190811-092924.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot_20190811-092931.jpg
    Screenshot_20190811-092931.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
I will once I get the correct cable as I am not sure if I have the correct reader
Am I right in assuming only android phones have Apps that can read the BUS? I have a feeling I am going to have to prove the Voltage drop and I think IOS devices won’t be able to do this, or at least I can’t find any Apps that will. Ans I don’t think Teslafi shows Voltage.

I (would) think wk057’s point is he doesn’t want to risk being backed into a corner and having to go to the time and effort of using such safeguards to have to protect himself. For me, he has taken enough punches for the rest of us, and has helped considerably in all of us understanding the background to this farce. Whilst I would love to read more of his insights I completely understand that there comes a time when the effort really isn’t worth it anymore. He has my gratitude and I completely support his wish to now step back from the firing line.

Tm-spy ios will read voltages
Using TM-Spy for iOS
Thanks. That App doesn’t seem to live on the UK App Store. :( But thanks for the link. Very useful.

Easy solution may be to just buy an old android phone. Scan My Tesla is advertised as just plugging into the Diagnostic port. Although I thought the info I was after was on BUS3 and the plugs with access to that are behind the cubby hole under the Main Screen. Seems like this is one of those areas that looked simple to start with, but gets more difficult the closer you look.

Last edited:
Thanks. That App doesn’t seem to live on the UK App Store. :( But thanks for the link. Very useful.

Easy solution may be to just buy an old android phone. Scan My Tesla is advertised as just plugging into the Diagnostic port. Although I thought the info I was after was on BUS3 and the plugs with access to that are behind the cubby hole under the Main Screen. Seems like this is one of those areas that looked simple to start with, but gets more difficult the closer you look.
Do you have a pre-2015 (pre sept 2015) Model S ? If so I made two diagnostic cable to sell, I'm based in the UK.

Reactions: DJRas
Five more installs of 2019.28.2.5 today on TeslaFi. Four went to S85s, and one went to an S70D. Have we ever heard of this issue affecting anything other than an 85?

I believe certain 70’s had software locked 85 packs.

In fact the exact opposite of what Tesla have done to my pack, ie software locking my 85 pack to a 70!

This could be why some 70 packs are included.

I ended up buying:-
a cheap new Android phone (Nokia 1)
getting the Scan my Tesla app (more details in this thread Vendor - Scan My Tesla, a CANBUS reader for Android)
buying the correct cable from US (Tesla Diagnostic Port Adapter Cable (Model X/S post Sep-2015) 680201861183 | eBay) (price seems to have gone up)
and also buying an OBD2 bluetooth adaptor (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBDLink-LX-427201-ScanTool-Bluetooth-Professional-OBD-II-Scan-Tool-for-Andr/202462881688?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649) - price has also gone up!

The correct port is under the main screen (not the OBD port on our RHD drivers side) - accessed by hard popping the cubby down.

Simples! Well not really but is once you have it all working and understand all the bits you need. The hardest thing in UK is getting the cable.

There is an Apple app (TM Spy?) though if you want to avoid the android route. Android Scan my Tesla has all the relevant info you could need and I like it.

This is a bad move by the owner of the sheet. We were encouraged to use it, sometimes in May and it has been a very useful tracking tool. This now discourages those who on the daily basis find out and report being impacted and want to add themselves to the list. If setting permission is done for the purpose of the audit trail it would be meaningless on Internet (what an unknown email address would tell you?). Google sheets already have a pretty good revision history control which can be used to revert to the previous version if someone messes things up.

To the owner of the sheet: Please explain.

Looks like the permission is now removed. Thank you!

We have no idea what relationship Jason has with Tesla. Is he occasionally a paid consultant? Does he have contacts there he would like to protect since they’ve given him information in confidence? It’s no surprise that Tesla would shut down all external communications now that there is a lawsuit, especially since the plaintiff is on this thread. I fail to see how this can remotely be considered witness tampering.

Reactions: humbaba and robby