Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will just leave this here

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210802-220002.jpg
    Screenshot_20210802-220002.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 119
I will just leave this here
Those are two of the measurements that are no longer accurate on TM-SPY & Scan My Tesla. Tesla fiddled with the firmware and what/how Canbus reports, to make some of the readable information inaccurate. Word on the grape vine was that it was being used against them (Charge Gate & Battery Gate).

Well, I finally heard back from Tesla, after another request for someone to pull my logs remotely, since my battery lost MORE miles suddenly (214 now)...
Here is their response:

"Hello, this is the Tesla diagnostic team. We’ve completed our diagnosis of your concern.
What you are experiencing with your range is the intended behavior of the HV battery due to accumulated wear and age of the battery.
We have verified that the HV battery has DC charged/supercharged 5 times more than AC charging.
We've also reviewed your HV battery warranty and it has expired in March of 2021.
If you would like, we can keep your appointment and you can purchase a remanufactured HV battery at your cost. If you have other questions, please don't hesitate to ask."

I see their delaying tactics on the lawsuit paid off :( What a crock. Now we know why they accepted the settlement, it was more about us waiting till the warrantees expired and less about the money.

Yep, this wouldn't be as shameful if they had a legitimate, published, practical battery replacement program. With their earliest cars relentlessly approaching this point in ever increasing numbers this going to be a major debacle for them if they don't get on it soon. There is going to be a greatly restricted market if it becomes commonly acknowledged that Teslas are disposable and have an 8-year life expectancy. That is going to kill any notion that they are greener than ICE over their full life-cycle.

Well, I finally heard back from Tesla, after another request for someone to pull my logs remotely, since my battery lost MORE miles suddenly (214 now)...
Here is their response:

"Hello, this is the Tesla diagnostic team. We’ve completed our diagnosis of your concern.
What you are experiencing with your range is the intended behavior of the HV battery due to accumulated wear and age of the battery.
We have verified that the HV battery has DC charged/supercharged 5 times more than AC charging.
We've also reviewed your HV battery warranty and it has expired in March of 2021.
If you would like, we can keep your appointment and you can purchase a remanufactured HV battery at your cost. If you have other questions, please don't hesitate to ask."

I see their delaying tactics on the lawsuit paid off :( What a crock. Now we know why they accepted the settlement, it was more about us waiting till the warrantees expired and less about the money.
Oh man this gets me fuming!!! I would have taken settlement with warranty extension. Like what are our options here. What a scam!

I think the most affordable way out of this battery quagmire is to purchase 100kWh salvage cars and swap the pack out. Sell the modules of the old pack on ebay and part out the car. No matter what, Tesla convincing us they would cover the battery degradation was a flat out lie. We are on our own unfortunately. The car will have a better resell value after the fact. I don't think I will ever buy a new car from Tesla ever again. They play "there is a sucker born every day" motto.

Oh man this gets me fuming!!! I would have taken settlement with warranty extension. Like what are our options here. What a scam!
A tiered settlement would have made sense. Those who are fully restored, get x. Those mostly restored, get y. Those NOT restored, replace battery.
Frikking $600.00 does not even cover a 1 way trip to the Service Center on a flatbed.
What a TOTAL insult. I guess they don't give a SQUAT for the ones that helped get Tesla off the ground.

I think the most affordable way out of this battery quagmire is to purchase 100kWh salvage cars and swap the pack out. Sell the modules of the old pack on ebay and part out the car. No matter what, Tesla convincing us they would cover the battery degradation was a flat out lie. We are on our own unfortunately. The car will have a better resell value after the fact. I don't think I will ever buy a new car from Tesla ever again. They play "there is a sucker born every day" motto.
Buying an early Tesla, this is far from my worst-case scenario. My greatest concern was Tesla going bankrupt and being bought up for disassembly by an oil company or someone else not wanting to disrupt the status quo. Going into it as an early adopter geek with terrible past experiences with batteries of all kinds, I figured a 15% or less battery degradation after 8 years would be great. My best-case hope was that Tesla would improve battery cost/efficiency so that they would offer a replacement battery much better and cheaper than the original by the time it was needed.

I haven't given up on that yet but my optimism is slipping. It still seems to me that it is an ever-increasing need that in their best interests, and mine as a shareholder, Tesla should be very seriously working on. This has a long tail. Tesla's growth has been exponential. I don't believe Tesla remanufactured packs and 3rd party refurbishments are are going to cut it. Failure to address this can only lead to marketing disaster, not just for Tesla, but for the whole EV industry for which Tesla is the recognized technological leader. How can they not know this?

.....My best-case hope was that Tesla would improve battery cost/efficiency so that they would offer a replacement battery much better and cheaper than the original by the time it was needed.

All they can offer is a remanufactured battery with the same capacity (as you current - not as a new) - and my best guess is with chargegate = on
Put me in the line for such an offer - I will take two - NOT

Reactions: cleverscreenam
All they can offer is a remanufactured battery with the same capacity (as you current - not as a new) - and my best guess is with chargegate = on
That's not all they CAN offer, it's what they are currently, totally inadequately WILLING to offer.

And what they charge for remanufactured while retaining the failed pack is egregious price-gouging.

I don't think that's legal, manufacturers have to supply parts for 10 years after last production date.
I had heard that too, but my research only found one requirement; that they have to have parts available to honor their warranty, if they don't have parts available they have to replace the car to make good on their warranty.

If you can find any federal, or state, law that requires that parts have to be made available outside of the warranty period I would love to see it.

100kWh pack is too heavy for an 85kWh without major suspension mods. I believe wk057 has done it, but says it is not cost effective.

Cars old enough to be subject to batterygate don't have any warranty on degredation. They didn't lie, because that's not what they said. The explicit guarantee of retaining 70% during the 8 year warranty is relatively new.

That's for warranty replacments. People who have bought packs have gotten new, not refurbs.

I’ve asked to buy a replacement battery and been told this is not a service Teala provides. Where are these service centers offering to sell a refurb after of warranty?
Who have you asked? There are several stories here of people buying new packs out of warranty. Or at least getting quotes.

That's for warranty replacments. People who have bought packs have gotten new, not refurbs.

Who have you asked? There are several stories here of people buying new packs out of warranty. Or at least getting quotes.
Hey I hope you are right on this...I personally would not mind buying a battery every 8-10 years for 20k or so BUT only if it is a new one!
This does not seem to jibe with the fact that they do not manufacture these batteries anymore. Are you suggesting they kept enough in stock and they are sitting there for 5+ years on shelves in case we are willing to buy?

I was always under the impression that Tesla modular design (skateboard) would easily allow to install newer batteries in older cars.