Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Boise, ID

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed that the Boise supercharger constantly shows 4 of 8 stalls occupied on the in car navigation but I've never seen more than one other Tesla there when I've stopped (usually none). Any ideas?
Many superchargers have this issue. I think there's often an issue with some of the cabinets not "communicating" properly with HQ. I bet if you look closely you will notice that it now says "at least 4 of 8 stalls available." They made this change a few days ago to indicate that the 4 other stalls are of unknown status.

Stayed at Oxford Suites on the last night of my trip home a few nights ago. Arrived a little after midnight to find this rig from "Erickson Racing" blocking 6 of the 8 supercharger stalls. Fortunately I was able to plug into one of the 2 remaining paired stalls and that stall worked fine.

Boise1.jpg
Boise2.jpg
Boise3.jpg

If I remember this SC location/configuration correctly, this was probably the only place where this person could have parked the big rig without blocking other entry/exits/access paths. The parking lot is not that big and there are a number of other businesses around.

Hopefully, they informed the front desk, and left instructions on what to do if someone came to request access to SCs.

I remember arriving at the Springfield, OR SC around 5 AM and observing an interesting situation. There were two big rigs parked "around the corner" in a part of the parking lot which would be impossible to exit from unless most of the SC stalls were empty. I did not need to stay very long but wondered what would happen if the big rigs needed to leave and many the SC stalls were occupied but the Tesla owners were not present.

I told the front desk that most of the chargers were blocked and it was news to them so they clearly didn't leave any instructions. She did say "well they aren't supposed to park there," so she was sympathetic at least.

The lot is small but there was a bigger lot behind (east of) the hotel with a lot of space. It's possible that the hotel doesn't own all of that lot, but I didn't see any signs saying people couldn't park there and there were definitely other hotel patrons parked there.

Where the Superchargers are located is tight parking, but there are other big lots around the building. My guess is that the machines, gear and tools in their trailer are worth a bundle and to minimize the chance of theft they wanted to back it up against a wall, with the door blocked. And/or their hotel room was on that side of the building. Regardless, they chose the Supercharger transformer vault/closet as their "wall". :confused:

I stopped at Boise SC today, tried 3 different stalls, all with 32-36KW charging speed. It should be around 100KW. I called Tesla support and they said Boise SC has some sort of connectivity issues lately.

Did anyone use the SC lately?
Was working well for me 2.5 weeks ago. Going there again this weekend; will let you know if I have the same issue...

I stopped at Boise SC today, tried 3 different stalls, all with 32-36KW charging speed. It should be around 100KW. I called Tesla support and they said Boise SC has some sort of connectivity issues lately.

Did anyone use the SC lately?
I'm going to ask the obvious question first. When people are questioning whether Supercharger speed is appropriate or not, they really need to mention what state of charge they are currently at, because it does intentionally slow down as the battery gets more full. Since you didn't mention it, I'm wondering if you were aware of that. And since it showed that same charging speed on 3 different stalls, that would seem likely that it's just because of a high state of charge.

I'm going to ask the obvious question first. When people are questioning whether Supercharger speed is appropriate or not, they really need to mention what state of charge they are currently at, because it does intentionally slow down as the battery gets more full. Since you didn't mention it, I'm wondering if you were aware of that. And since it showed that same charging speed on 3 different stalls, that would seem likely that it's just because of a high state of charge.

my battery was at about 50% at the time.

I did ask the support person, she said all stalls except 4A and 4B seems to have issues.

I'm going to ask the obvious question first. When people are questioning whether Supercharger speed is appropriate or not, they really need to mention what state of charge they are currently at, because it does intentionally slow down as the battery gets more full.
Agree with this, but it's actually even more complicated than that.

I recently switched from driving a 90D to a 100D and the difference in supercharging rates is dramatic. While I had the 90D, I had heard rumors of throttling. Nothing seemed substantiated but it definitely matched my experience. For the last few months with the 90D, I never saw anything more than 95kW and often it would max out at something much less than that. Now I see some threads about the 90 battery packs having issues and being more susceptible to throttling to protect the batteries (apparently it was a poor design).

Anyways, I suspect a lot of the complaints about supercharging are from 90 owners. I just drove across the country with a new S100D and I'm getting 115+kW almost everywhere. I do still have the occasional issue with a bad stall or (rarely) an entire SC location that is a little slower, but it's nothing like it was with the 90 where I would be happy if I could just get 90kW and often would end up getting only 60 or 70. Unfortunately I was never able to try the 90 at an urban supercharger. I was quite curious whether or not it would max out consistently in the 70-75kW range like most Teslas do.

Reactions: KJD
Agree with this, but it's actually even more complicated than that.

I recently switched from driving a 90D to a 100D and the difference in supercharging rates is dramatic. While I had the 90D, I had heard rumors of throttling. Nothing seemed substantiated but it definitely matched my experience. For the last few months with the 90D, I never saw anything more than 95kW and often it would max out at something much less than that. Now I see some threads about the 90 battery packs having issues and being more susceptible to throttling to protect the batteries (apparently it was a poor design).

Anyways, I suspect a lot of the complaints about supercharging are from 90 owners. I just drove across the country with a new S100D and I'm getting 115+kW almost everywhere. I do still have the occasional issue with a bad stall or (rarely) an entire SC location that is a little slower, but it's nothing like it was with the 90 where I would be happy if I could just get 90kW and often would end up getting only 60 or 70. Unfortunately I was never able to try the 90 at an urban supercharger. I was quite curious whether or not it would max out consistently in the 70-75kW range like most Teslas do.

ah, didn't hear the 90D battery "issue". It happens that I have 90D. I didn't use supercharge much. I did drive to Seattle and Portland, don't remember I saw 100+kW charging at any supercharging site. I was suspicious about charging speed at the time, now you make me curious!

I've been trying to understand recent behavior at this SuC. Being a local I use it when I go to Lowes and my experience goes this way...

Anywhere from 19% to 30% SOC, I will get 140+ kW but only for 10 or so minutes. This happens on all stalls. The rate then rapidly drops to 60 kW and will stay there until the normal taper takes effect. Checking the cable and handle it is very hot. As in an 80-degree ambient, it is hot enough to be uncomfortable to hold for even a few seconds. I took some IR pics and it shows 127 on the handle and 113 on the cable.

We just returned from a 6500-mile cross country trip and every SuC we visited with the exception of Louisville, KY behaves as I would expect. 140+ kW initial charge tapering slowly down as the SOC goes up. So on the return instead of going home, we stopped one more time at the Boise SuC and it still does this 10-minute high rate and then drops to 60 kW.

Research on TMC says this is a common problem with hot cables and high usage. But in my last case, the cable was cold and stiff and after 10 minutes it was hot and the rate went down.

In the past months, I talked with my mobile service tech, sent data about the issue and actually got a call from Tesla to discuss. Our conclusion then was nothing wrong with the car (which I agree with) and that the SuC in Boise was at fault. I was expecting something to happen but alas, nothing.

The solution is to move the car every 10 minutes until the rate is where one would expect for that SOC. Fortunately, the Boise SuC is a low use one so this tactic is possible. If you are driving through, be ready to do that sort of thing.