Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Coralville, IA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any update here? We are traveling to Iowa City this weekend to visit friends. We will be stopping at the Lacrosse SuC on the way so if this is not up and running I will need to charge to 100% and search out a level 2 in IC....any suggestions?
There's the Hy Vee in IC that has some L2 chargers. If you've got dual chargers, the Bass Family Farms up by Mt. Vernon has an 80amp HPWC. Plugshare is your friend.

There's the Hy Vee in IC that has some L2 chargers. If you've got dual chargers, the Bass Family Farms up by Mt. Vernon has an 80amp HPWC. Plugshare is your friend.
I saw the Hy Vee L2 (is it at the same Hy Vee as the SuC?) but since I am going to need ~200 miles of range to get back to the Lacrosse SuC I didn't want to take up a spot there for 10+ hrs. Has anyone used the ACT charger? I figure they will be closed for the weekend so I won't be taking anyone's spot.

Has anyone ever talked to a hotel and been able to get some juice for an hour or so in the middle of the day for a fee or do they hold pretty tight to guests only? If so I could make a detour to Dubuque on an extended route that has a couple Destination chargers alog the way. Either way we will hit up Bass Farms (only have a single charger).

I use both the ACT and Hy Vee Level 2 chargers frequently. The ACT charger is typical commercial (18 miles of range per hour of charge). Hy Vee's is horrid at 12 mph, and frequently down. That experience, plus the experience with the Peru Hy Vee supercharger, does not inspire confidence with Hy Vee's ability to be Tesla's partner for the I-80 buildout.

I use both the ACT and Hy Vee Level 2 chargers frequently. The ACT charger is typical commercial (18 miles of range per hour of charge). Hy Vee's is horrid at 12 mph, and frequently down. That experience, plus the experience with the Peru Hy Vee supercharger, does not inspire confidence with Hy Vee's ability to be Tesla's partner for the I-80 buildout.
Fortunately, Hy Vee will only provide the land. Tesla maintains the Superchargers.

I think the best level 2 chargers in the Iowa city area the Coralville transit center (free to use and park on upper level) and at UIHC river landing (also free). They have been consistent at 6.6kwh rate and have never not worked for me. They are walking distance to several restaurants and a brewery as well as hotels, some shopping and a coffee shop. They are the 1772 plug so make sure you have the adaptor with you. Good luck!

I think the best level 2 chargers in the Iowa city area the Coralville transit center (free to use and park on upper level) and at UIHC river landing (also free). They have been consistent at 6.6kwh rate and have never not worked for me. They are walking distance to several restaurants and a brewery as well as hotels, some shopping and a coffee shop. They are the 1772 plug so make sure you have the adaptor with you. Good luck!

I concur with this. That area has a total of 8 L2 chargers, 4 in each parking structure. One parking structure is near the hospital, the other is attached to the transit facility. There are 2 really good hotel options, hilton and marriot brands. Right on I-80, and only about 3 miles from I-380. Many restaurants and a few coffee places in walking distance.

Has anyone had a chance to check on this in the last couple days? I need to drive to Cedar Rapids tomorrow and if this isn't up I'm going to have to drive the TDi and offset all the greenhouse gases I've been saving this year!

Fortunately, Hy Vee will only provide the land. Tesla maintains the Superchargers.

Well, Hy Vee is providing the electricity at the Peru supercharger, according to signage there. Despite being one of the newer models, it has significantly less amps than the (2013) supercharger in Rockford, even when I was the only one charging there.

I view their half-power ChargePoint charging stations as "enough to say that we're doing electric vehicle charging without actually costing us much money in electricity." I fret that the same thing will happen with "their" superchargers: a limited amount of electricity doled out to everyone waiting. And we won't know until the 3 ships and the midwest superchargers start being busy.

Has anyone had a chance to check on this in the last couple days? I need to drive to Cedar Rapids tomorrow and if this isn't up I'm going to have to drive the TDi and offset all the greenhouse gases I've been saving this year!

I happened to pull up to the Coralville SC today as the electrician was working there. Received a wealth of knowledge from him (their company is deploying the Quad Cities, Coralville and DSM SCs).

Coralville -the charger is ready to go. As he said "all I'd have to do is flip a couple of switches and you could start charging". But the Tesla rep needs to come and do their testing. He wasn't sure when that would be, but he thought it would be very quick, potentially still this week. If you're driving through this week though, I'd plan alternate charging locations just in case

Davenport - I hadn't heard of it either - how the heck did this go undetected for so long?! He said it is about a week behind Coralville, So maybe within two weeks it will be ready.

Des Moines - Here's the bummer - The transformer has NOT been placed yet he said. It is due to be placed on the 12th of September. Based on the other work to be done, he didn't think it would be ready until at least October.

There is a destination charger in the DoubleTree parking lot that you can use. Not a SC but you should be able to charge there. I don't think it is a 100 amp charger tho.

Also if you head thru Rockford you should be able to do the the trip. I have traveled to and from Chicago area from here via that route.

There is a destination charger in the DoubleTree parking lot that you can use. Not a SC but you should be able to charge there. I don't think it is a 100 amp charger tho.

Also if you head thru Rockford you should be able to do the the trip. I have traveled to and from Chicago area from here via that route.
FYI - if you use the doubletree, you either have to pay to valet park, OR go up to the 15th floor bar and have a beer and they will validate your valet ticket and it's free... :- ) (at least that is what I was told and did!)

FYI - if you use the doubletree, you either have to pay to valet park, OR go up to the 15th floor bar and have a beer and they will validate your valet ticket and it's free... :- ) (at least that is what I was told and did!)
Slightly true. That is a public parking lot and you can park yourself. They state the spots are for guests only but I am not sure if and or how they can enforce that. But since you need to be there for some time to charge you might as well get something to eat and drink.

Well, Hy Vee is providing the electricity at the Peru supercharger, according to signage there. Despite being one of the newer models, it has significantly less amps than the (2013) supercharger in Rockford, even when I was the only one charging there.

I view their half-power ChargePoint charging stations as "enough to say that we're doing electric vehicle charging without actually costing us much money in electricity." I fret that the same thing will happen with "their" superchargers: a limited amount of electricity doled out to everyone waiting. And we won't know until the 3 ships and the midwest superchargers start being busy.

I have used the new "Hy Vee" SuC in Oakdale, MN and saw over 320 mph (37% initial SoC) while I was watching in the car and it beat the estimated charge time after that when I walked inside. Not sure how Hy Vee could throttle the amp draw since the Tesla station has its own dedicated transformer from the utility.

In Peru (I used to work for at a major manufacturing plant there), the city functions as the utility company and purchases the power from outside producers. Any issue with the Tesla SuC is most likely their's. Trust me, we had to replace our main transformers for the site a couple of times and I was only at the plant for 2 years.