Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Horsham (VIC)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is so frustrating looking at Teslarati and other sites and seeing the constant flow of SC installed around the world and comparing this to the speed of roll out in Australia.
Just remember with fewer than 2000 sales in Australia, I think the Supercharger roll-out is pretty reasonable.
If we take a generous average sale price, excluding taxes, of about $150,000 and a 25% margin. 2000 X $37,500 = $75,000,000 margin over 2 years. with this they have built or are building 3 X Service Centres\ Stores, Sydney (St Leonards), Melbourne (Richmond) and now Brisbane, a second Sydney (CBD) and Melbourne (Chadstone) Store.
So 12 Superchargers stations and counting, plus a bunch of destination chargers
Seems like a reasonable investment considering Tesla is not a big company like Toyota or even BMW who mainly outsource their distribution an re-fueling.

Just remember with fewer than 2000 sales in Australia, I think the Supercharger roll-out is pretty reasonable.
If we take a generous average sale price, excluding taxes, of about $150,000 and a 25% margin. 2000 X $37,500 = $75,000,000 margin over 2 years. with this they have built or are building 3 X Service Centres\ Stores, Sydney (St Leonards), Melbourne (Richmond) and now Brisbane, a second Sydney (CBD) and Melbourne (Chadstone) Store.
Seems like a reasonable investment considering Tesla is not a big company like Toyota or even BMW who mainly outsource their distribution an re-fueling.
They really do need to improve the Euroa charger before the Ski Season though, at the moment the sled is a bit of a joke. People are going to take their model X's skiing, and they will all need to top up there, at the same time.

Plus the fact that every single car currently charging at the stations has been charging for free. I would expect Tesla to be sitting on a pretty reasonable loss for their operational activities in Australia. I can see the SC network getting a reasonable pump after 2018 if there are a lot of 3s delivered in Australia. The way I see it though, every year with Tesla the network gets larger, making the cars better. I think by 2020 we will possibly be looking at a DC charging network covering the vast majority of major highways in Australia. A lot is dependent on how the next two years go with PV, batteries and politics.

Plus the fact that every single car currently charging at the stations has been charging for free. I would expect Tesla to be sitting on a pretty reasonable loss for their operational activities in Australia. I can see the SC network getting a reasonable pump after 2018 if there are a lot of 3s delivered in Australia. The way I see it though, every year with Tesla the network gets larger, making the cars better. I think by 2020 we will possibly be looking at a DC charging network covering the vast majority of major highways in Australia. A lot is dependent on how the next two years go with PV, batteries and politics.

True, but cars in SA, WA and Old have paid for supercharging and may not have used them at all. One disadvantage we have here in Australia is that we have no land borders and so don't have Teslas from adjacent countries driving here. OTOH Tesla need to be building a reasonably comprehensive network for the future, not just the present. Once the Model 3 arrives many of those owners won't be so forgiving and then supercharger congestion will start to happen here, imagine the Euroa sled during the ski season!

True, but cars in SA, WA and Old have paid for supercharging and may not have used them at all. One disadvantage we have here in Australia is that we have no land borders and so don't have Teslas from adjacent countries driving here. OTOH Tesla need to be building a reasonably comprehensive network for the future, not just the present. Once the Model 3 arrives many of those owners won't be so forgiving and then supercharger congestion will start to happen here, imagine the Euroa sled during the ski season!
It's going to be bad this year. Not only does it charge slower than a regular supercharger, but only two spots and often Ice'd. This is far more pressing than Horsham to me.