Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The fact that there is a pic of superchargers in Kayenta, AZ brings a tear to my eye. I'm happy that Tesla and the Navajo Nation were able to agree on this. Maybe this one charger will open up to other nations (COUGH Henryetta, OK) installing SUC
There are already superchargers on other reservations around the country so it’s not like this is the first paving the way. I also believe there is at least one delivery center on reservations in states that wouldn’t allow Teslas direct sales model.

The fact that there is a pic of superchargers in Kayenta, AZ brings a tear to my eye. I'm happy that Tesla and the Navajo Nation were able to agree on this. Maybe this one charger will open up to other nations (COUGH Henryetta, OK) installing SUC
Yea, for those of us that tow trailers the 4 Corners area is very desolate.

Not just in terms of superchargers, but chargers of any variety or any infrastructure for that matter.

This is a very needed location.

Reactions: gene and 85Drew
We were in the area yesterday.

Flagstaff-Holbrook-Gallup-Farmington-Durango is reasonable. You go right past Shiprock.

Durango does not have SC but does have CCS and destination charging.
I'd say there's pretty much zero chance of it being open by then. You need to plan some alternatives.
ABRP says I can make it direct if I drive slow the alternative is to go through bluff Utah and use a CCS charger

ABRP says I can make it direct if I drive slow the alternative is to go through bluff Utah and use a CCS charger
So, about 230 miles with some elevation gain. I think you'll be fine as long as you keep your speeds around the speed limit. I'd spend the extra time to charge up to 99 or 100 percent in Page to be on the safe side. And I assume you have somewhere to charge in Mesa Verde lined up.

I actually went the other way a few years ago with a bit of a detour through part of Monument Valley on highway 162. I didn't drive fast or slow, and arrived in Page with about 5% charge left. It's about 12 miles more than the direct route, but it's also slower roads, which helps to stretch the range, and more scenic. If you don't mind about an extra half hour of driving, I'd recommend it. The Kayenta Supercharger would be great for this route as well.

Reactions: gt2690b
I have found ABRP to be overly optimistic but I haven’t tried dialing it in with the various settings.

I could not convince the Tesla nav to get me to Bluff or Blanding from Tusayan. It kept insisting on an end-run through Gallup and Farmington!

I could not convince the Tesla nav to get me to Bluff or Blanding from Tusayan. It kept insisting on an end-run through Gallup and Farmington!
Something similar happened to me on the way from Poncha Springs, CO, to Santa Fe, NM (before the Alamosa Supercharger went live). I had Santa Fe set as the destination in Navigation, and the car kept trying to get me to go to Trinidad, but I just laughed. I ended the navigation trip until I was past the point of no return, then re-entered Santa Fe and it didn't try silly stuff again. This shows Tesla really *really* doesn't want you to run out of juice and end up in the desert and die. :cool:

I have found ABRP to be overly optimistic but I haven’t tried dialing it in with the various settings.

Yeah the nav doesn't know about CCS chargers I will just put bluff as my destination

I've found ABRP is pretty good if you dial in all your settings about 277 wh/mi is my calibrated 65mph efficiency.. the problem though is you never know how the wind is going to blow that day which makes a huge difference (47 mph wind here in Moab yesterday)

Reactions: KJD
Wow, wow, just wow! This news is absolutely unexpected and massive for travel in te four corners region - especially Flag to Moab or vice versa. I take a trip from Flagstaff to Aspen - and also often enough from Flagstaff to Denver and this has always been an issue with the Utah route. I’ve pieced together various routes using L2 charging in Durango, Mesa Verde and such - but it was never great - took the ICE option.

I think between this and Durango the supercharger free zone’ is getting filled in. I was so disappointed when Kayenta was removed from Tesla map - now just 😭 of joy here in Flagstaff!

Hello fellow TMC nerds! I’m back after being on the river in the Grand Canyon and without cell service for two solid weeks. I drove by again tonight, but no real progress that I could see. Because my initial post rightly caused a bit of a hornet’s nest without photo documentation, I added some pics this go round. Also a bonus river trip photo!

Attachments

• IMG_2962.jpeg
    IMG_2962.jpeg
    434 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2963.jpeg
    IMG_2963.jpeg
    520.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2960.jpeg
    IMG_2960.jpeg
    784.3 KB · Views: 1
Hello fellow TMC nerds! I’m back after being on the river in the Grand Canyon and without cell service for two solid weeks. I drove by again tonight, but no real progress that I could see. Because my initial post rightly caused a bit of a hornet’s nest without photo documentation, I added some pics this go round. Also a bonus river trip photo!

Nice - jealous of the river trip! A little hard to tell, but it looks like there is a pedestal base installed between the prefabs. Along with the concrete work, I guess this is for a larger handicap stall? And the base that's still sitting in front of the prefabs might be for a pull-in stall? My guess is that they will relocate these stalls from the prefab slab, so probably still 8 stalls total...

Also guessing that he transformer will eventually go on that empty pad on the right-hand side of the installation...