Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Vancouver, WA - NE Vancouver Mall Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I looked at the parking direction in this lane and realized that this might be the best way to avoid ICEing.
Stripe the spots the "wrong" way just for the Tesla spots. Nobody else will attempt to park there.
Tesla drivers will know how to deal with it (given that these are not general-purpose EV charging spots.)

Dudes, no one is going to accidently ICE these spots. As you can see clearly in pictures posted in this thread there are empty parking spots and even entire empty lanes in this mall parking area. Even on weekends.

Kudos to the Tesla team for locating a SC in a great spot. Close to a major north/south interstate, some stuff of interest nearby, but also no issue with traffic. And kudos for adding destination chargers for added flexibility.

Dudes, no one is going to accidently ICE these spots. As you can see clearly in pictures posted in this thread there are empty parking spots and even entire empty lanes in this mall parking area. Even on weekends.

Kudos to the Tesla team for locating a SC in a great spot. Close to a major north/south interstate, some stuff of interest nearby, but also no issue with traffic. And kudos for adding destination chargers for added flexibility.

I think ICEing in general is waaaaay overblown. I've personally never had to deal with it in any state I've charged in. I think a few stories on electrek have created fear of an epidemic that doesn't actually exist.

Reactions: GHammer
I think ICEing in general is waaaaay overblown. I've personally never had to deal with it in any state I've charged in. I think a few stories on electrek have created fear of an epidemic that doesn't actually exist.
I agree. It generally polices itself. Most ICEing at superchargers is at locations that are not busy. When it gets busy, like even half full, the ICE drivers are much less likely to try to squeeze in between the charging Teslas. And if they do, I would imagine many Tesla owners have a talk with them.

The one scenario where ICEing concerns me the most is at small hotel superchargers late at night. Ellensburg with only 5 stalls used to have these problems, but I think they have been enforcing it pretty well for the last couple years. The Dalles is another one where this is a concern but last time I was there, it was around midnight and all stalls were open despite the lot being crowded. Albert Lea, MN used to be the worst for this, but thankfully they just built a new supercharger at a truck stop on the other side of town. Gallup, NM is another one to look out for.

I agree. It generally polices itself. Most ICEing at superchargers is at locations that are not busy. When it gets busy, like even half full, the ICE drivers are much less likely to try to squeeze in between the charging Teslas. And if they do, I would imagine many Tesla owners have a talk with them.

The one scenario where ICEing concerns me the most is at small hotel superchargers late at night. Ellensburg with only 5 stalls used to have these problems, but I think they have been enforcing it pretty well for the last couple years. The Dalles is another one where this is a concern but last time I was there, it was around midnight and all stalls were open despite the lot being crowded. Albert Lea, MN used to be the worst for this, but thankfully they just built a new supercharger at a truck stop on the other side of town. Gallup, NM is another one to look out for.
can't agree more. I've also charged in the dalles and didn't have a problem, but it was during the day. I have seen destination chargers ICE'd in hotels where there were no other parking spots available. But I can't say I wouldn't have done the same and I don't think it was malicious as much as it was having no other options.

Stopped by this afternoon. Talked to electrician working the site. He said power should be on in a few days, then we will be waiting for inspections from the utility. He thought for sure it would be open by the end of this month.

Also, it is clear in the first picture that the lines will be painted the opposite angle than currently painted when it is all done. Look at the angle of the curb next to the transformers
A8116394-894A-47FB-A36F-24D54AFD4A21_1_201_a.jpeg
9FCBB9F6-617F-4D59-A5D3-185FFB833CB8_1_201_a.jpeg

So no bollards, you just park next to the charger, alongside it rather than it being behind you? If you miss you hit the charger? They will need curbing, not painted lines!
I wouldn't interpret it this way; rather, I believe the stripes will be angled, as now, but in the opposite direction, parallel with the shown curb by the switch gear. I think the flow direction for this "lane" will be away from the mall, and you just back in at an angle instead of backing in straight. No three point turn, easier (smaller) angle to traverse to be aligned for the parking spot.

Has anyone checked to see if the destination chargers are Tesla plugs or the (rarer) Tesla branded J1772 style? It wouldn't surprise me that part of the supercharger deal with the mall included Tesla having to add some 'normal' EV chargers also. You are starting to see this at some other supercharger locations... Tesla adding infrastructure for regular EV charging along with the supercharger pedestals. Although the cables on the Destination Chargers look a little thick compared to the Tesla J1772's seen out in the wild already.

See: Tesla Wall Connector with J1772 plug instead of Tesla proprietary plug

Has anyone checked to see if the destination chargers are Tesla plugs or the (rarer) Tesla branded J1772 style? It wouldn't surprise me that part of the supercharger deal with the mall included Tesla having to add some 'normal' EV chargers also. You are starting to see this at some other supercharger locations... Tesla adding infrastructure for regular EV charging along with the supercharger pedestals. Although the cables on the Destination Chargers look a little thick compared to the Tesla J1772's seen out in the wild already.

I went by there today and all 8 destination chargers have Telsa plugs on them.

066D5EC2-076F-4F65-9432-D4DA8C1023A1_1_201_a.jpeg

The signs say Tesla parking only

God this was such a stupid mistake. They could have easily turned the chargers the right way and keep the existing parking lines. Someone in the installation group didn't understand where our charge ports are located. This lot has directional arrows that alternate on each row. Of course they could just reline but clearly whoever oversaw this was only familiar with Leafs of other ev's with front charge ports. You'll have two rows of parking going the same direction. Doubt that it will be dangerous or anything just could have been avoided.

Stopped by today and most everything looks done. There was two trucks from the installation company but they appeared to be just talking to each other.

• Disagree
Reactions: swoozle