Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this was in TOCA's April member email update yesterday. it's been 24 hours so this is probably going to be common knowledge now :)

Tesla is also at work constructing new Supercharging sites to enable convenient fast charging at additional routes across Australia. Keep an eye out for new locations coming soon in Devonport, TAS; Toombul, QLD; Geelong, VIC; Yea, VIC; Perth, WA; Moe, VIC; Williams, WA and Colac, VIC.

As it happens, Yea and Colac have been spotted in the last few weeks. Geelong was spotted today and it isn't in the location that I was speculating - it's actually in Corio! Williams was announced by TOCWA last year, but I think the including in this newsletter double-confirms that. So all of those have now been added to supercharge.info. Funnily enough, Blaxland wasn't mentioned.

Of course I'm most excited about the Devonport one! Brilliant news :)

supercharge.info change history for Australia looking pretty busy :)

1617803519831.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mike_j
The Chargefox/RACV charger a few streets away has 4 stalls. And it’s cheaper. And faster.
Tell that to an American on one of the other EV/Tesla sites and their brain explodes! The concept that a third-party EV charging network could be faster and cheaper than a Supercharger (and without needing an adaptor), or more extensive (which they now are here) simply does not compute.

Some over there still argue that other car manufacturers cannot prove they are serious about EVs until they build their own charging network. Meanwhile, over here, we just love the fact that Model 3 can just plug into any of the DCFC networks - it’s fantastic!! ‘Merikan Tesla owners don’t get what they’re missing out on.

Article on Bundaberg - but in short: no new content. Just your typical "regional newspaper discovers that superchargers exist for the first time" article. Google "tesla bundaberg" and bingo, a low-effort news story.

Article on Bundaberg - but in short: no new content. Just your typical "regional newspaper discovers that superchargers exist for the first time" article. Google "tesla bundaberg" and bingo, a low-effort news story.

I hope this charger doesn't actually end up in Bundaberg, rather just the Bundaberg region. Bundaberg is off the Bruce Highway and would be extremely annoying to detour into Bundaberg for a charge. Would take 20 minutes longer than the highway route - might as well just charge at the QESH chargers on the highway.

Reactions: cafz and Chuq
Good news - gradually up the Qld coast one town at a time...
Very excited about the Rockhampton charger! Will cut down charging time significantly vs QESH. The interesting question is where will they put the next one? Rockhampton to Mackay is too far except for the longest range Teslas, but the towns in between surely couldn't support the current draw of a supercharger? The supercharger would use more power than the entire town!

I hope this charger doesn't actually end up in Bundaberg, rather just the Bundaberg region. Bundaberg is off the Bruce Highway and would be extremely annoying to detour into Bundaberg for a charge. Would take 20 minutes longer than the highway route - might as well just charge at the QESH chargers on the highway.

Good point - you'd probably take as much time in extra driving as you would save by using the faster charging!

Actually from looking at the distances, this is more likely to be in Gin Gin (268 km from Rocky, 181 from Gympie). Childers is 323 km from Rocky, 143 km from Gympie which doesn't make sense.

Actually looking closely at the map the Bundaberg dot appears to be at Childers. I'm not sure if this is a new change. Who knows what Tesla is planning!

Last edited:
Rockhampton to Mackay is too far except for the longest range Teslas, but the towns in between surely couldn't support the current draw of a supercharger? The supercharger would use more power than the entire town!

They've put them in some pretty small places, like Harwood NSW (population ~300).

Actually looking closely at the map the Bundaberg dot appears to be at Childers. I'm not sure if this is a new change. Who knows what Tesla is planning!

I saw Childers mentioned somewhere else as well for this one, can't recall where though!

Reactions: technerdx6000