TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Electric_Blue, Sep 7, 2016.

1. baillies

baillies Member

Maybe one of the Holden EV prototypes from the 90s?

• Funny x 1
  2. freshmax

freshmax Member

I only submitted one and only have one car ordered.

• Like x 1
  3. Jason Cartwright

Also have a P- on order and had a VIN which has now disappeared. Given they were unofficial, it's hard to know how meaningful they ever were, but certainly does indication there's some movement (at least by the web devs).

Asked Melbourne Delivery for an update today.. got this..

Hello Jason,

I can confirm that we are receiving cars at this stage, exact dates on entry are hard to really get a grasp on as well as numbers.
    The ones that are in Sydney will be moved to the respective states and will go through the pre-delivery process. You will be notified as soon as yours is ready and we have a delivery date set.

As far as invoicing, as you’ve completed the pre delivery work on your end, keep a check on your Tesla account, the invoices are starting to get generated so as soon as yours is, it will show up there!!
    You’ll be the first to know about it!

Have a good day,

4. Majkey

Majkey Member

I’m a Victorian VINless P+ reservation holder (ordered on 31/5) and I got a call from an unknown number today and hearing that it was a Tesla rep my heart jumped... but it was just a call to sort out some questions about my self organised loan. Either way it was good to talk to a live person :)

What I found out was that:

Orders from non-eastern states will be contacted earlier than qld/nsw/vic to alleviate the longer lead time with deliveries. A few posts ago someone wrote something similar.

Supposedly they will start delivering to customers in 2-3 weeks.

Invoices will be sent out once a car has been matched up to the order.

All of this is nothing new so it’s more of a confirmation. Plus it keeps me sane while I wait for my car (or at least a VIN!!)

• Like x 1
  5. Novatec

Novatec Member

Same here, and a Modei S owner ....nothing

6. stuartl

stuartl Member

Connector type has absolutely nothing to do with the range added per hour. Range is a function of available energy, and energy efficiency.

For example: the Model 3 LR and Performance have a 75 kWh battery. They also have a nominal range of 500km. That means that every kWh (energy) charged into the battery will add 6.6666 (repeating) km of range.

The Model S LR, on the other hand (using the current model figures) has a 100 kWh battery, and a nominal range of 600 km. That means that every kWh charged into the battery will add 6 km of range.

So let's take a basic, every day 32 amp single phase circuit. Power equals voltage times current. Nominal voltage is 230 volts. Therefore, the nominal power supplied by that circuit is (230 * 32) = 7,360 watts, or 7.36 kW. (These are the definitions in metric units; metric is deliberately designed so that the numbers work out cleanly that way, rather than needing a conversion factor.) Energy is equal to power times time, so each hour of charging would supply 7.36 kWh of energy into the battery (ignoring charging inefficiencies.) Based upon 6km/kWh on the Model S, that equates to 44.16 km of range. Based upon 6.6666/kWh on the Model 3, it also equates to just under 50 km of range.

Meaning: the added range you'll get per hour will depend upon the energy efficiency of the car. The Model 3 is more energy efficient than the S, therefore it gets more range on the same circuit for a given period of time.

• Helpful x 1
  7. WoodWombat

WoodWombat Member

I have a heap of Tesla stock, all purchased through stake.com.au. You can't hedge against currency fluctuations, but they do make it easy to buy US stocks.

• Informative x 2
  8. Matthewmm

Matthewmm Member

changed today. got 5YJ3F7EA8KF443135

9. paulp

paulp Active Member

#5189 paulp, Aug 20, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    That all nice but an original single phase hpwc (which once again is what I was referring to) charging a model s at 32 amps charges at 32kmh, plus or minus 1kmh depending on voltage. Now I know I only owned one of those for 3 years, but if someone with an original hpwc could show me a pic of single phase 32A charging their car (model s) with a single onboard charger at 44kmh I’d be most grateful and enlightened.
    Also can someone shed some light on the real range, because I suspect NEDC isnt even close. Its certainly not on mine.

10. Vostok

Vostok Active Member

I don’t know, my source only had AUS info.

• Informative x 1
  11. sczsimos

sczsimos Member

#5191 sczsimos, Aug 20, 2019
    Complete meaningless drivel [from Tesla] . It must be intended as such. Seems to be an active disinformation campaign.

• Disagree x 1
  12. meowsers

meowsers Member

I find it extremely unlikely that Tesla does not know exactly what is going on. I think it boils down to incompetence rather than anything. As if the "numbers" are hard to get a grasp on. It's not like tesla just throws a random quantity packaged by weight onto a ship.

They've produced the cars. They knew how many were on the boats. The fact that they are still spouting this keep an eye on your account this is crazy.

13. Vostok

Vostok Active Member

My understanding is that you didn’t actually buy Tesla shares. From what I’ve read, most online brokers that let you “buy” international shares, like CommSec, are actually selling you a unit in a Trust that owns the shares. If you actually owned Tesla shares, you would get voting papers etc to vote in shareholder meetings. Did you ever get those? Happy to be corrected.

14. sczsimos

sczsimos Member

Yeah the staff in Australia act like they are something different to Tesla. Go figure. It's not incompetence. It's some sort of Tesla disinformation feature.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  15. paulp

paulp Active Member

It seems more a case that in keeping with company policy they dont want to divulge details, and come up with standard statements to cover off questions. It’s not incompetance, although the ability to correctly communicate company policy maybe could be improved.

• Like x 1
  16. paulp

paulp Active Member

To be fair, and given what I’ve read about US service rangers, I’m really happy that tesla australia behave differently.

17. apchoo

apchoo Member

#5197 apchoo, Aug 20, 2019
    After what seemed like eternity checking for my VIN, it popped up tonight :)!

5YJ3F7EA2KF4427xx

According to @Vedaprime's list, that's from the July 7 batch. What does that mean?

Reservation: 2016-04-02
    Order: 2019-06-01
    Model: Black SR+
    Payment: Cash
    City: Melbourne
    Tesla Owner: No

Keeping my phone fully charged and on max. ringer volume :D.

• Like x 4
    • Love x 2
    • Funny x 1
  18. sczsimos

sczsimos Member

Which city are you? Do you own a Tesla?

19. 1st in Line

1st in Line Member

No Vostok, I believe you own the shares directly and yes, I do get to vote on my shares.

The following is from the CommSec website:

"Security
    Own your international shares direct. CommSec offers a fully disclosed model where the end client is disclosed and enters into an agreement with the executing broker and custodian.

Securities are held in your name through Pershing - a member of the Securities Investor Protection Corporation (SIPC), which protects the securities of its members up to USD$500,000 (including USD $250,000 for cash claims)."

Again, this is just for information, not a recommendation.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  20. apchoo

apchoo Member

I've updated my post with more details. Also updated @Random206's spreadsheet.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1