Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Orders from non-eastern states will be contacted earlier than qld/nsw/vic to alleviate the longer lead time with deliveries. A few posts ago someone wrote something similar.

This is interesting. I live in QLD, however not SEQ, rather NQ. I live 1000km further away from Sydney than the distance between Adelaide and Sydney. If lead time dictates how early contact is, surely I would have been contacted by now? One explanation I have considered is NQ probably has low volumes and hasn't been considered.

No Vostok, I believe you own the shares directly and yes, I do get to vote on my shares.

The following is from the CommSec website:

"Security
Own your international shares direct. CommSec offers a fully disclosed model where the end client is disclosed and enters into an agreement with the executing broker and custodian.

Securities are held in your name through Pershing - a member of the Securities Investor Protection Corporation (SIPC), which protects the securities of its members up to USD$500,000 (including USD $250,000 for cash claims)."

Again, this is just for information, not a recommendation.
Well, yes and no. It's not like CHESS here in Oz. They are held in trust for you but not in your name as a shareholder and as I understand your rights are limited. It used to be (and still maybe) that the securities that the custodian holds for you can be used by them as security for their purposes. If they go broke you are only insured to the limited amount you state above. There is more risk than physically having them like CHESS but you get all the monetary benefits of owning them. You may be in trouble if there is a GFC that doesn't recover so well. If you hold in USD then you would hedge long AUD if the AUD strengthens. Again - DYOR

• Informative
Reactions: 1st in Line
Also can someone shed some light on the real range, because I suspect NEDC isnt even close. Its certainly not on mine.

Likewise. I have a 2018 100D model S and overall my usage has been 202Wh/km, which gives a range of approx 500km. My driving has been about 50/50 highway/city, but the range is nothing like the stated NEDC. Perhaps if I drove really slowly and took 5 minutes to accelerate to 60km/h I'd get the NEDC figures....

With the LR Model 3 I reckon you'll be getting about 450-480km

• Informative
Reactions: paul3
My understanding is that you didn’t actually buy Tesla shares. From what I’ve read, most online brokers that let you “buy” international shares, like CommSec, are actually selling you a unit in a Trust that owns the shares. If you actually owned Tesla shares, you would get voting papers etc to vote in shareholder meetings. Did you ever get those? Happy to be corrected.

I have STake Tesla shares, they have given me a link to to vote twice since I bought them

That all nice but an original single phase hpwc (which once again is what I was referring to) charging a model s at 32 amps charges at 32kmh, plus or minus 1kmh depending on voltage. Now I know I only owned one of those for 3 years, but if someone with an original hpwc could show me a pic of single phase 32A charging their car (model s) with a single onboard charger at 44kmh I’d be most grateful and enlightened.
Also can someone shed some light on the real range, because I suspect NEDC isnt even close. Its certainly not on mine.

Model S charging from 32amp single phase- 32-34kms of range per hour in TYPICAL setting, this is realistic and achievable on most occasions. 41-44kms of range per hour in RATED setting, unrealistic and only achievable when all conditions are perfect.
I understand the model 3 only has a rated range setting, yes it will charge at 50kms of range per hour but good luck to model 3 owners who expect to get 50kms from 7.36kwh when it's needed most.

• Helpful
Reactions: paulp
... as we are waiting for our Model 3s and for the electrification of Australian road transport, Denmark is moving ahead doing the same for sea transport:

World's largest all-electric ferry sets sail in Denmark

I am not sure exactly how Danish people would pronounce "Ellen". The slightly nordic tongue might make it sound very much like "Elon".

Also in Denmark - Sweden

Bigger Boat
slightly smaller battery
46 crossings and partial recharges a day
charging @ 6MW

Fully Charged Presents Electric Ferry With 4.1 MWh Battery: Video

• Love
Reactions: 1st in Line
So Elon just tweeted that there isn’t a FSD price increase for another 4 to 8 weeks when v10 is released. Is it possible to cancel FSD on an already made order and not lose your place in the queue?

Might be Beneficial to see if you can cancel it, then add after delivery as to avoid LCT.

Reactions: jaykaye
Dude_Wheres_My_Car_movie.jpg