Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
S and X on Australian order pages are showing $8500 for FSD, $11400 after delivery. Other countries are showing standard prices across S, X, 3 range. Anyone considering it if assuming approx SR+ is 68k base, LR 84k base, LRP 100k+ base on top of your colour, wheel and interior selection.

. I do not agree with giving tax breaks to wealthy people, and generally neither does the ALP.
There is no possibility of the ALP offering incentives for buying cars costing $70k and more (apart from the existing higher LCT threshold for low fuel consumption vehicles) because of the above.
May be they will provide the infrastructures for EV.
They won’t make it more expensive to buy ICE cars, not will they make petrol and diesel more expensive, so I don’t know how they plan to achieve their target of 50% EV by 2030 or whatever their time frame is.

Reactions: tom_kauf
You're not wrong mate! After waiting for 3 years, and Musk announcing the configurator opening imminently, each day is very painful.
And I wonder if we are not even next.
Aus will be able to order very shortly, but Elon did list "UK...followed shortly thereafter by Japan, Australia, New Zealand and Hong Kong.”

So we'll either be at the same time as the remaining countries on that list, or Japan will be next.
EDIT: I confirmed Japanese configurator is not live yet as of this evening.

Last edited:
upload_2019-5-4_9-7-8.png

There is no possibility of the ALP offering incentives for buying cars costing $70k and more (apart from the existing higher LCT threshold for low fuel consumption vehicles) because of the above. May be they will provide the infrastructures for EV. They won’t make it more expensive to buy ICE cars, not will they make petrol and diesel more expensive, so I don’t know how they plan to achieve their target of 50% EV by 2030 or whatever their time frame is.
There is quite a bit they could do that is not incentive related - essentially policy changes that remove some of the hurdles and barriers to people buying EVs.

The ALP has promised that government fleets will need to be 50% EV by 2025. That is quite ambitious, although if the mooted price parity happens by then (and most analysis suggest it is around that timeframe) then it should not be a hit to the budget. That in itself will provide a base level of demand that manufacturers will need to respond to, which should improve the availability and range of EV models here. The other thing it will do of course is stimulate the demand for charging networks - therefore partly breaking the chicken and egg problem.

The ALP has also promised to gradually tighten vehicle emissions standards (like just about every other advanced country has done). This is an indirect carbon tax which should rightly be applied, but its also about reducing fossil fuel demand and more efficient vehicles will be cheaper to run so the punters save on fuel costs. And we can breathe cleaner air over time (hopefully).

There’s lots of other policy related steps that could be taken to remove adoption barriers. One is to require local councils and state governments to change planning policies so that multi-dwelling unit owners have the right to install charging infrastructure in their dedicated car space without requiring OC permission, another is to mandate that all new multi-dwelling units must make provisions for EV chargers to be installed in all car spaces and must also provide a number of dedicated EV charging bays independently of this. Another is to require councils to have policies in place to provide charging infrastructure for homeowners who do not have off-street parking. A solution is a charger installed on an existing power pole outside or near the owners’ home, with appropriate EV charging only parking restriction signs installed similar to what happens when someone with a disability sticker applies for signed parking outside their home.

Broadly I think these sorts of things are more effective at increasing adoption because they remove mental and practical barriers, and they “normalise” EV charging. Price incentives are often problematic because they cost governments real money and always stimulate arguments about taxpayer subsidies (and often weaponise the arguments of the anti-EV brigade), and trigger debates as to who should and should not benefit from them, and where various lines should be drawn.

Hell just froze over....
View attachment 400412 The Facebook comments from upset petrol heads (re-ICE car salesman) are often entertaining.
On a lighter note, the Top Gear Magazine comparison is a prime reason why it's confusing when the Model 3 is referred to as the 'M3' by people on forums (myself included.... sometimes).

I'm glad the M3 beat the M3. The article said that the M3 was better in almost every way. The only area the M3 was better was drifting feel.

You can guess which M3 was meant in each case :p.

And I wonder if we are not even next.
Aus will be able to order very shortly, but Elon did list "UK...followed shortly thereafter by Japan, Australia, New Zealand and Hong Kong.”
The cynic in me says that the timing of Congifuator opening in other RHD markets is dependent on the order demand in the UK. If UK order demand is lower than expected, Configurator will open here sooner in order to achieve a sufficient number of global RHD orders to block out a slab of production time. If UK order demand is higher than expected, our Configurator will open later.

• Helpful
Reactions: nigwil and tom_kauf
There is quite a bit they could do that is not incentive related - essentially policy changes that remove some of the hurdles and barriers to people buying EVs.

The ALP has promised that government fleets will need to be 50% EV by 2025. That is quite ambitious, although if the mooted price parity happens by then (and most analysis suggest it is around that timeframe) then it should not be a hit to the budget. That in itself will provide a base level of demand that manufacturers will need to respond to, which should improve the availability and range of EV models here. The other thing it will do of course is stimulate the demand for charging networks - therefore partly breaking the chicken and egg problem.

The ALP has also promised to gradually tighten vehicle emissions standards (like just about every other advanced country has done). This is an indirect carbon tax which should rightly be applied, but its also about reducing fossil fuel demand and more efficient vehicles will be cheaper to run so the punters save on fuel costs. And we can breathe cleaner air over time (hopefully).

There’s lots of other policy related steps that could be taken to remove adoption barriers. One is to require local councils and state governments to change planning policies so that multi-dwelling unit owners have the right to install charging infrastructure in their dedicated car space without requiring OC permission, another is to mandate that all new multi-dwelling units must make provisions for EV chargers to be installed in all car spaces and must also provide a number of dedicated EV charging bays independently of this. Another is to require councils to have policies in place to provide charging infrastructure for homeowners who do not have off-street parking. A solution is a charger installed on an existing power pole outside or near the owners’ home, with appropriate EV charging only parking restriction signs installed similar to what happens when someone with a disability sticker applies for signed parking outside their home.

Broadly I think these sorts of things are more effective at increasing adoption because they remove mental and practical barriers, and they “normalise” EV charging. Price incentives are often problematic because they cost governments real money and always stimulate arguments about taxpayer subsidies (and often weaponise the arguments of the anti-EV brigade), and trigger debates as to who should and should not benefit from them, and where various lines should be drawn.
In my opinion, politicising electric mobility during an election has taken adoption backward, although some of the responses in the mainstream blogs certainly suggest a very large misunderstanding of how EV’s work. Right now, I suspect a bit of education is needed to prepare people for the inevitable.
With regards to pre-preparing apartment buildings, your ideas have merit, however a new apartment building also needs its own transformer. These are very expensive, and in many markets the developer also has to pay for a share of the network based on projected consumption. There will be a significant cost to building, and therefore selling of apartments if every apartment becomes capable of plugging in an EV for no particular reason. Cant help but think Elon’s approach of bringing down charge time to equivalent of petrol refuel time is the better solution, sold at public recharge stations, which I expect we will start to see popping up at petrol stations during this decade.

With regards to pre-preparing apartment buildings, your ideas have merit, however a new apartment building also needs its own transformer. These are very expensive, and in many markets the developer also has to pay for a share of the network based on projected consumption. There will be a significant cost to building, and therefore selling of apartments if every apartment becomes capable of plugging in an EV for no particular reason. Cant help but think Elon’s approach of bringing down charge time to equivalent of petrol refuel time is the better solution, sold at public recharge stations, which I expect we will start to see popping up at petrol stations during this decade.
The right answer for setting up a new apartment building for charging is to slightly increase the main service to the whole building. Probably 10% increase would be enough if smart EVSE with demand management are used. The basic idea is that the EVSE controller monitors the load on the main feed and cuts back charging to remain within the maximum draw for the whole building. Actually, if people schedule their cars to charge overnight, the limit is never reached because the big loads like air-con have already tapered off. This approach sounds expensive, but it is much cheaper than adding a dedicated service just for EV charging.

Reactions: baillies