Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That CLEARLY signifies it was purely a business decision and nothing to do with certification. Have a look at this table of gross profit margins between the variants.

That table shows profit primarily based on the number of batteries in an M3.
Is that correct? I thought I read somewhere that all M3's have the same battery pack and the variant is just limited by software. Stand to be corrected.

Surely Elon knows that when people see someone else driving a white interior model 3 it makes it more interestingly to people who don’t know yet Tesla’s are. A black interior model 3 could be mistaken for any regular small car whereas one with a white interior really gets people to think “wow, what a beautiful vehicle”

• Disagree
Reactions: tom_kauf
If you guys really want LR-RWD or white interior or something else that is currently available in other markets, don't order now. Tesla has shown that they change these things at the drop of a hat. If you want it sooner, tell your local salespeople that you want to order, but you want a specific configuration that is not offered in Australia. Tell them what config will get your interest converted to an order. They may not be able to convince anyone at HQ to do anything about it, but it's worth a try. Elon's reasoning for simplification will evaporate when they decide that they need to pull another "demand lever".

I was ecstatic that the "First Production" Model 3 was LR-RWD and not Performance or AWD. I was able to get the exact car that I wanted, very early in the production cycle when our leased car was due back.

If you guys really want LR-RWD or white interior or something else that is currently available in other markets, don't order now. Tesla has shown that they change these things at the drop of a hat. If you want it sooner, tell your local salespeople that you want to order, but you want a specific configuration that is not offered in Australia. Tell them what config will get your interest converted to an order. They may not be able to convince anyone at HQ to do anything about it, but it's worth a try. Elon's reasoning for simplification will evaporate when they decide that they need to pull another "demand lever".

I was ecstatic that the "First Production" Model 3 was LR-RWD and not Performance or AWD. I was able to get the exact car that I wanted, very early in the production cycle when our leased car was due back.

Agreed. I think hold off and drum into Tesla that there is buyers waiting but with some other options needed. The number of options at the moment are pathetic. Luv the car luv the Tesla dream and i want to buy into it

That table shows profit primarily based on the number of batteries in an M3.
Is that correct? I thought I read somewhere that all M3's have the same battery pack and the variant is just limited by software. Stand to be corrected.

The SR and SR+ have different battery pack design (~50kW) to the longer range models (~75kW). The SR software limits the SR+ battery capacity to ~92%. The MR was different again as it was a LR pack with less cells.

At the moment Tesla is cell limited with Panasonic only able to produce around 24GW of cells. This means that Tesla is producing a lot of SR+ to increase the number of units shipped from the available cell capacity. Where they are producing LR models they are higher margin models to such as LRAWD (big markets) and LRP. This is why AU is only getting SR+ and LRP-. Giving us LRRWD or LRAWD now would just be using up valuable cell capacity for less profit/units for a small market. From June Panasonic is meant to be upgrading jigs on remaining lines that should hopefully get them to 35GW, provided they can also find enough workers. Once Tesla are no longer cell constrained they may be able to start offering other models such as LRRWD again. At least until MY production starts.

Where did you hear this?

Model 3 cannot charge at all from superchargers without the CCS2 connector.
Superchargers do not provide any AC current. DC only.
The CCS2 charge port on the Australian Model 3 allows AC charging with the usual Type 2 (mennekes) connector just like a MS or X would charge on AC. However, Model 3 requires the CCS2 plug (and associated DC charging station) to fast charge with DC.

You are correct, the AC pins just provide communications on a CCS2 connector.

superchargers do provide AC current to enable the charging handshake. If you have a type 2 plug you can afaik extract that AC current.

I dont get why everyone here is peeing their pants over no CSS cables at the superchargers. There are no Model 3s in Australia and when the first ones get delivered Tesla will send one guy around to upgrade the chargers over a course of a few days.

If the car is only two or three years old it makes a bit of difference, 5 years or more probably not.
It was more to do with thinking of waiting to see if a LR RWD and a towbar will become available, and if I am waiting I might as well wait for a 2020 car rather than getting a car delivered in november or december. Not a big deal really.
It seems like a LR RWD is unlikely to happen here, so perhaps it is wiser to order soon if I am going with a SR+, before the AUD tanks any further with the predicted interest rate cuts coming soon.
If the S is any guide, the current 2019 model offers active suspension and a higher efficiency st of motors, as well as a superior chip for extra computing power. The earlier 2019 models do not. I think base car features will determine resale value, not year of manufacture.

If the car is only two or three years old it makes a bit of difference, 5 years or more probably not.
It was more to do with thinking of waiting to see if a LR RWD and a towbar will become available, and if I am waiting I might as well wait for a 2020 car rather than getting a car delivered in november or december. Not a big deal really.
It seems like a LR RWD is unlikely to happen here, so perhaps it is wiser to order soon if I am going with a SR+, before the AUD tanks any further with the predicted interest rate cuts coming soon.
Which leads to the next question - at what stage of the purchasing process is the exchange rate considered. I'd suggest at the very end, just before handing over the final outstanding balance and receiving your door code/keys.

@Hovean you buy in AUD, so the AUD price when ordered is the price you’ll settle at.....if the AUD drops, or goes up, against the USD between now and when you get your car you need not worry (or worry I guess if the AUD goes up substantially).

So you put down a deposit and order your car, price is locked-in in AUD, you know exactly how much you will pay when you make the final payment/take delivery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hovean
I get the feeling that waiting the next 2-3 months until delivery will be tougher than the previous 38 months.
So true. In the 48 hours since ordering, I’ve been on here, whirlpool, Tesla and YouTube more than in the previous 2 months I reckon.
Questions that come to mind:
- Does the Model 3 come with carpet mats?
- I want to get the windows tinted, but from YouTube it looks like the back window is really tricky to tint. I don’t want my car to be the trial one that the local tint shop “has a go on” - anyone got any ideas/suggestions?
- Can I get my Tesla wall charger before I get the car? If so, how? I’d like to get it installed before the car.

So true. In the 48 hours since ordering, I’ve been on here, whirlpool, Tesla and YouTube more than in the previous 2 months I reckon.
Questions that come to mind:
- Does the Model 3 come with carpet mats?
- I want to get the windows tinted, but from YouTube it looks like the back window is really tricky to tint. I don’t want my car to be the trial one that the local tint shop “has a go on” - anyone got any ideas/suggestions?
- Can I get my Tesla wall charger before I get the car? If so, how? I’d like to get it installed before the car.

The wall charger is sent out to your home 4-8 weeks before the car delivery.
I can't comment on tint really, I intended to get tint done and forget, after 4 years I still haven't got around to it.

Reactions: rohan_aus