Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can I ask what might be a silly question, but in regards to the model 3 charging itself, does anyone know if it is possible in the model 3's software to set it up to only charge during the hours of for example 11am and 3pm (i.e. when the solar panels are usually at full generation)? Or do I need to get my electrician to install a physical timer on the wall charger to manually do this? I know there are full blown devices like the evse stuff which looks amazing, but I just want to simply tell it "charge during those hours only" and that way most days it will basically use as much solar as possible.

I don’t know your car, but if the wholesale trade-in is say 40k and the carsales price is $60k, put it on carsales for $50k and your hassle will last one inspection, and you’ll end up better off than the wholesale price. Private sales are only a hassle and time consuming if you are asking too much.
Not necessarily. Got burned with my last private sale of a German sports car. Found a buyer quickly and he didn’t even want to negotiate, just paid asking price. But for private sale you need roadworthy and despite visiting 3 different ones, each one wanted to charge me thousands to fix stuff...yet it was different stuff between them!

They know they have you at ransom so when selling privately you need to expect some additional costs for all the fake stuff the dodgy Roadworthy mechanics will want.

And me makes 5. Reserved April 2nd 2016. Haven't ordered as i wanted the LW RWD for range, and AWD too expensive.
happy to fold my arms for a while.
You can make an argument for price... But I'm not sure 37km extra range it much to hold out for. And given the LRRWD has a different battery it's another set of spares they would need to keep here. I understand why they dont offer it and would be very surprised if it was made available at any point.

Reference - Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com

Reactions: Renewablekid
62952E2A-103F-4E30-9E35-BEB5CD2FDAAD.png So did anyone here get an invite for test drive , that I found on twitter?

But for private sale you need roadworthy and despite visiting 3 different ones, each one wanted to charge me thousands to fix stuff... They know they have you at ransom so when selling privately.
To my knowledge this is only the case in QLD, VIC, ACT. But QLD don’t have annual inspections for private vehicles, so swings and roundabouts.

You can make an argument for price... But I'm not sure 37km extra range it much to hold out for. And given the LRRWD has a different battery it's another set of spares they would need to keep here. I understand why they dont offer it and would be very surprised if it was made available at any point.

Where do you get that LR RWD battery would be different than LR AWD battery? All information that I have found so far states they use exactly same battery only different controller that distributes the power from same battery to either one motor or 2 motors. So the cabling from controller to motors is different but battery to controller is same.

Teslafi will do this for you.
Seriously? Teslas don’t have programmable charging timers built in?

The Nissan LEAF has two timers that can be set, and different timers can be applied on different days of the week. When we had solar and PW2 installed in May, I reprogrammed the LEAF to charge during the morning on days when it is usually at home, and offpeak after midnight on days when it’s not. This maximises self-consumption and minimises grid costs.

If Tesla can’t do this natively I am shocked.

Where do you get that LR RWD battery would be different than LR AWD battery? All information that I have found so far states they use exactly same battery only different controller that distributes the power from same battery to either one motor or 2 motors. So the cabling from controller to motors is different but battery to controller is same.
The cabling for the front motor is inside the battery

Not necessarily. Got burned with my last private sale of a German sports car. Found a buyer quickly and he didn’t even want to negotiate, just paid asking price. But for private sale you need roadworthy and despite visiting 3 different ones, each one wanted to charge me thousands to fix stuff...yet it was different stuff between them!

They know they have you at ransom so when selling privately you need to expect some additional costs for all the fake stuff the dodgy Roadworthy mechanics will want.
We dont have that requirement in SA. Selling a bucket of bolts is no problem.

Seriously? Teslas don’t have programmable charging timers built in?

The Nissan LEAF has two timers that can be set, and different timers can be applied on different days of the week. When we had solar and PW2 installed in May, I reprogrammed the LEAF to charge during the morning on days when it is usually at home, and offpeak after midnight on days when it’s not. This maximises self-consumption and minimises grid costs.

If Tesla can’t do this natively I am shocked.

It has a start timer only, stop charging by adjusting amps and battery percentage to suit.

Can I ask what might be a silly question, but in regards to the model 3 charging itself, does anyone know if it is possible in the model 3's software to set it up to only charge during the hours of for example 11am and 3pm (i.e. when the solar panels are usually at full generation)? Or do I need to get my electrician to install a physical timer on the wall charger to manually do this? I know there are full blown devices like the evse stuff which looks amazing, but I just want to simply tell it "charge during those hours only" and that way most days it will basically use as much solar as possible.
With model s/x, and I assume 3 is the same, you press the scheduled charging button on the big screen and select the hours that the car is permitted to start to charge from. You dont need a 3rd party solution. You also reduce the charge current on this same screen so that it wont draw too much from your solar panels.

Reactions: T3SLA3

Yep its mainly about the price - but I wanted the range of a LR model ... and the LRAWD at $93,866 k compared to the SR+ at $70,657k Split the difference and call it approx $ 81 k for a Long range RWD = a sale price of 10 k extra for 20 approx extra kwh @ Tesla cost of $100 USD per kwh (2K USD) call it $3-3.5000 AUD , so approx $ 6,000 high profit margin (if it was available) - so that could be a win - win. Yes I know LR RWD probably wont come back.. hope its ok if I stop and think a bit before "jumping" onto the $93,866 LRAWD right now :)

It is the same battery so far as I know, so the same part.

Last edited:
Yep its mainly about the price - but I wanted the range of a LR model ... and the LRAWD at $93,866 k compared to the SR+ at $70,657k Split the difference and call it approx $ 81 k for a Long range RWD = a sale price of 10 k extra for 20 approx extra kwh @ Tesla cost of $100 USD per kwh (2K USD) call it $3-3.5000 AUD , so approx $ 6,000 high profit margin (if it was available) - so that could be a win - win. Yes I know LR RWD probably wont come back.. hope its ok if I stop and think a bit before "jumping" onto the $93,866 LRAWD right now :)

It is the same battery so far as I know, so the same part.

I think it was established earlier that the entire battery pack wiring is different for a single motor M3. I’d say they would have removed the part of the line that manufactures a 75kwh pack for single motor

However, something no one has noticed is that they are still selling single motor long range model Y, so they might be planning to reintroduce that specific battery pack. But the configurator hasn’t changed in a Kong time and still lists black as default so who knows