Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone just posted on the FB group that Tesla called him yesterday (as a reservation holder) to offer him a model 3 within the next few weeks and if he didn't order by then it would be ?march (smells like Tesla BS). Also confirmed the tow bar as a locally installed/retrofitted option.

This leads us to believe that Tesla has plenty of supply coming and we should all get our cars pretty soon-ish, would be my hope....

Someone just posted on the FB group that Tesla called him yesterday (as a reservation holder) to offer him a model 3 within the next few weeks and if he didn't order by then it would be ?march (smells like Tesla BS). Also confirmed the tow bar as a locally installed/retrofitted option.
I feel snubbed o_O I am a Day 1 reserver and no phone calls to me asking why I haven’t ordered yet. But then again Tesla are probably reading my posts so they know exactly why and hence they don’t need to call me! :D:D

But yeah, this is BS up there with the “only 2 reservers haven’t ordered yet” and “white interior is only available on P, same as in the US”. Tesla haven’t updated their delivery estimates on the website, they still ship S/X to Australia within weeks of ordering (so why would they hold back delivery of the 3?), and they have cash flow and profits to think of. You reckon Tesla would take an order for Model 3 now, and wait more than six months before getting the sales money? NFW.

Yes wouldn’t life be wonderful to own a car that smelt and looked like a capital city taxi. Puke everywhere, filth on the seats, mud on the floor, cut leather.
As for FSD, I recieved tesla ‘autopilot’ 3 years ago now. It was normal cruise control plus lane keeping. Since then all that has been realistically added is limited summon, and some freeway exit feature that we dont yet have. Tesla have said features will be released incrementally. Once they have released the ability to recognise traffic lights, a feature that was imminent 3 years and 2 hardware versions ago, then we can start dreaming autonomous within the decade.
I’m not convinced any tesla currently on the road will ever have full autonomy or be an autonomous taxi, but I am convinced tesla will deliver autonomy first.

As someone who has waited 3 years+ just to get the Model 3, I can understand you are feeling a bit jaded waiting for FSD.

I appreciate that many of Elon's time based predictions are at least partially aimed at motivating his employees to go above and beyond what is usually possible. At the same time, I also do not underestimate the practical and technological difficulties of getting to FSD.

.... and yet, how much longer will it take for mankind to get there? 50 years, 20 years? I doubt it. 10 years? Given the rate of technological progress? Given our "need" (the need is made increasingly pressing, by ever more competition for finite resources. Also keeping in mind that autonomous vehicles allow much higher utilisation of cars/resources, instead of having them sit idle in garages and parking spots) for this solution. I still think it has to happen much earlier than that.

As for puke, filth and cut leather, I am confident that this can be managed and that it does not represent an insurmountable obstacle for the adoption of autonomous driving.

Reactions: Techno-phile
I feel snubbed o_O I am a Day 1 reserver and no phone calls to me asking why I haven’t ordered yet. But then again Tesla are probably reading my posts so they know exactly why and hence they don’t need to call me! :D:D

But yeah, this is BS up there with the “only 2 reservers haven’t ordered yet” and “white interior is only available on P, same as in the US”. Tesla haven’t updated their delivery estimates on the website, they still ship S/X to Australia within weeks of ordering (so why would they hold back delivery of the 3?), and they have cash flow and profits to think of. You reckon Tesla would take an order for Model 3 now, and wait more than six months before getting the sales money? NFW.
I have not got any phone calls from Tesla in the last 2 months either, but I have been diligent in answering any advertising e-mail they have sent about Model 3 asking for the options I want to be made available. They appear to send responses to those usually couple of weeks after they receive my response letting me know they have passed on my request to their head office. So they know what I am looking for and don't bother calling me as I would tell them same thing. though as time goes on, with every day I get closer to caving in and ordering SR+ instead. We will see who gives in first, but it might be me. It has not been as long for me in total, though I have been following them closely since the pre-orders opened, I only put my reservation in just over 20 months ago, so not expecting to be a high priority on any of this. Would be great though, if they would add an option for the reservation holders on their website that have not converted to an order to do a mock configuration showing them the options the person is hoping/waiting for. This would give them a clear picture what is the holdup for the remaining reservations.

Reactions: Hovean and bay74

Communication is EVERYTHING- sadly everything that is superb by Tesla is let down by its poor communication skills in Australia, the departure of Tesla Australia's communication manager two weeks ago doesn't help (or does it?)
A bit of honest straight to the point information released to the buying public would massively reduce the phone calls and emails that waste time and keep model 3 buyers filled with anxiety.

As someone who has waited 3 years+ just to get the Model 3, I can understand you are feeling a bit jaded waiting for FSD.

I appreciate that many of Elon's time based predictions are at least partially aimed at motivating his employees to go above and beyond what is usually possible. At the same time, I also do not underestimate the practical and technological difficulties of getting to FSD.

.... and yet, how much longer will it take for mankind to get there? 50 years, 20 years? I doubt it. 10 years? Given the rate of technological progress? Given our "need" (the need is made increasingly pressing, by ever more competition for finite resources. Also keeping in mind that autonomous vehicles allow much higher utilisation of cars/resources, instead of having them sit idle in garages and parking spots) for this solution. I still think it has to happen much earlier than that.

As for puke, filth and cut leather, I am confident that this can be managed and that it does not represent an insurmountable obstacle for the adoption of autonomous driving.
I am with @paulp on this one. Elon is very optimistic with his timeframe and he may have a point that he can get this tech to work, however even Elon has mentioned that they are aiming to get this legalized in the US some time in 2020, however EU will take longer because of the legal hurdles there. He has not mentioned AU because our legislation in that would lag way behind EU and the rest of the world. Now looking at best case Tesla gets this technical and software side sorted with feature complete by end of 2019, then enough distance driven to make software safer than humans in all cases of driving some time in 2020. They might get this legislation through in US in 2020-2021, then another couple of years until EU legalizes this getting to 2022-23. Considering the options available in US and EU currently and not available in AU, AU will take another few years before they start looking at legalizing it here, so we are realistically not looking at FSD here before 2025. Once they can be legally used here, it should not take long to get the robo-taxi fleet running, but the car you buy now will be 5-6 years old at least and we cannot be sure our current cars will be capable of self plugging in for charging as that has not been deployed yet so that may be coming in the next iterations of the cars (there are competing projects with robotic arms plugging cars in for charging to wireless charging with cars driving over a charger plates). We don't even know how long the legislation here would take for the robo-taxi options as there may be extra hurdles there from government.

Last edited:
If those from New Zealand got their emails to enter delivery details on the 5th and the ship is indeed the Cap Capricorn, that's a week out (docks in Auckland on the 12th). Which means theoretically we should (if the same holds true) receive our Australian delivery emails tomorrow, because Cap Capricorn docks in Sydney on the 16th....

Reactions: Vedaprime
If those from New Zealand got their emails to enter delivery details on the 5th and the ship is indeed the Cap Capricorn, that's a week out (docks in Auckland on the 12th). Which means theoretically we should (if the same holds true) receive our Australian delivery emails tomorrow, because Cap Capricorn docks in Sydney on the 16th....
I think there's a post a page or two back saying it now docks on the 17th! I like your thinking though...

Also, tomorrow is a Friday, and our Config and "almost here" text messages came on Fridays.

Reactions: Dave3333
Also, tomorrow is a Friday, and our Config and "almost here" text messages came on Fridays.

And tomorrow is the 9th, 9 is divisible by 3. Model 3. We've found the answer!!!

national-treasure-nic-cage.jpg

So do you think that does mean cars destined for Adelaide will be unloaded from that ship in Adelaide?
I had thought they were all coming in to syd/melb and then trained/trucked over here.
I guess if they are in containers they can come off at any port.

It’s unknown. It really depends on Tesla’s logistics ability it in each state. We really have no idea of any staff ramp and state delivery numbers to justify the costs.

Tesla does tend to centralise a single port of entry for processing in other markets.

So do you think that does mean cars destined for Adelaide will be unloaded from that ship in Adelaide?
I had thought they were all coming in to syd/melb and then trained/trucked over here.
I guess if they are in containers they can come off at any port.

In principle, containers can be offloaded at any port - Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth.

In practice, once offloaded Tesla then needs to check the vehicles over and get them ready for delivery. That's easiest in a centralised warehouse (or similar) - and they're not delivering enough volume, even with the Model 3, to justify having one of those in every Australian city with a port. I could see them opening up such a centre in Perth, given the geographical remoteness of WA from the east coast, but pretty much everywhere else would be sourced from somewhere on the east coast. Which almost certainly means Sydney.

It's nice to dream, but realistically, you're not going to see Tesla cars offloaded from the ship in Adelaide any time soon. Not unless volume surges dramatically, and frankly, I can't see that happening. Not at current pricing.

And tomorrow is the 9th, 9 is divisible by 3. Model 3. We've found the answer!!!

Half-Life 3 confirmed!

... oh. Wrong forum. Never mind. (I've never even played Half-Life ...)

Reactions: Vedaprime