Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Coal in the ground and sun in the air are both free. The difference is that the workers for the mining industry all get money and pay their taxes which is a significant boost to the economy unlike a few lonely engineers who look after solar plants.
No, the difference is that one is renewable and the other is finite and releases greenhouse gases when used to produce energy.

Coal in the ground and sun in the air are both free. The difference is that the workers for the mining industry all get money and pay their taxes which is a significant boost to the economy unlike a few lonely engineers who look after solar plants.
Tindo here in adelaide manufacture solar panels. A factory tour is a fascinating insight. They employ plenty of people. Its also proof that australia can make its own solar panels at a competative price rather than continuing to support another country’s economy.

I 100% agree. What we do need is "smart grids". The problem is that these should have been planned for over the last 20 to 30 years. However, here in Australia we have been consumed by a hyper-partisan energy debate which has led to complete policy paralysis.

Now people are surprised that renewable energy has become cheaper than coal, but they are even more surprised that we have not planned for energy storage like large scale pumped hydro or lithium-ion. Even our future Model 3s could play a role in grid storage, but this cannot happen overnight.

But it gets even sillier than that. Australia is now looking into small scale nuclear energy again...

Zero chance of Nuclear - it just gets trotted out every so often to keep the Conservative Base happy.
Can you imagine the NIMBY backlash as soon as a location was announced?

And these mini modular reactors are still on the drawing board.
Allow time for regulation, trials, someone else to try it first, etc, and close to 20 years would fly past.

Seriously...??? Coal is a nasty toxic climate ****ing relic that belongs in the Victorian era

Zero chance of Nuclear - it just gets trotted out every so often to keep the Conservative Base happy.

Allow time for regulation, trials, someone else to try it first, etc, and close to 20 years would fly past.
The CSIRO should be re-funded for both climate research and to investigate Thorium MSR ASAP

Got an email from them this evening. They requested it from Tesla, whether Tesla actually generates the invoice is another matter....

The car is being shipped to ACT, and Tesla did mention this was the "fastest" option available to me when I offered to pick it up in Sydney as I will be self-registering it. Maybe they will send it straight from Autonexus?
Since you are likely to be one of the first in ACT, when you get your booking with Access Canberra, make sure you know how to activate the hand brake and check that they have the M3 and your variant on their system, otherwise it may all be in vain. If you have the dual motor, it may also throw them (but they should have plenty of experience with the S & X)

To add to the nuclear debate, defence force had requested new subs that are nuclear but want them converted to diesel.
.. Hahah only going to cost us tax payers another $100 billion+ to redevelop a sub to something that doesn't exist.
Yes the contract has been signed so we in for a wild ride with $100+ billion down the toilet

Since you are likely to be one of the first in ACT, when you get your booking with Access Canberra, make sure you know how to activate the hand brake and check that they have the M3 and your variant on their system, otherwise it may all be in vain. If you have the dual motor, it may also throw them (but they should have plenty of experience with the S & X)

I’ve already talked to them, it doesn’t need an inspection. I already have a type approval number, don’t even need to bring the car in.

TAN Number Model 3 Performance -

05/19 5884 2B 1856

It is the same for every model 3 performance (as of May 19, which was the big brakes)

You guys with smaller brakes (P3-) may have serious issues nationwide though because Tesla’s registration on the federal RVTS system only includes two variants SR+ with regular brakes and the P3+ with big brakes.

https://rvcs.infrastructure.gov.au/perl/50079_1307746_RVD_16May2019083200.cmd

I’ve already talked to them, it doesn’t need an inspection. I already have a type approval number, don’t even need to bring the car in.

TAN Number Model 3 Performance -

05/19 5884 2B 1856

It is the same for every model 3 performance (as of May 19, which was the big brakes)

You guys with smaller brakes (P3-) may have serious issues nationwide though because Tesla’s registration on the federal RVTS system only includes two variants SR+ with regular brakes and the P3+ with big brakes.

https://rvcs.infrastructure.gov.au/perl/50079_1307746_RVD_16May2019083200.cmd
Ah OK. You must be a dealer. (Typed before your edit)

that's good for you but it does not apply to standard EV user and neither does it apply to you when you go on long range trips. It's all dandy to live under this illusion that EVs are all 0 emissions but this is not the case
A lot of EV owners are very conscious of their carbon footprint and a lot of owners have solar &/or buy 100% green power. So I don’t think you can generalise that this type of approach “does not apply to the standard EV user” - whatever a standard EV user is.

I have solar, a Powerwall 2, and buy 100% Green Power for any grid consumption. So far this month we have achieved 85% self-consumption, meaning 85% of all the power we have used has come from solar, directly or drawn down from the battery. And we also more than doubled (2.2x) the grid draw we have had with completely clean energy exported into the grid - making the grid cleaner for everyone. And it’s still winter!

Some people just don’t seem to get how big a disruption solar+battery storage is to conventional energy markets.

Coal in the ground is not free - it costs huge amounts of money to extract, which is why mines can become unprofitable and close down. And of course burning it generates external costs, which are currently not priced.

Your final argument is truly ridiculous. Mining is one of the country’s most automated industries and only getting more so. Perhaps you should advocate a return to the horse and buggy. Think of all the farriers, blacksmiths and saddlers that were put out of business by the new fangled technology of the motor car. Let’s stop progress!

The CSIRO should be re-funded for both climate research and to investigate Thorium MSR ASAP
Thorium MSR is always trotted out as the great hope of the future, along with hydrogen fuel cells. It’s hilarious.

The thing is that we no longer have a need to go down any form of nuclear path. We can generate all the energy we need and more using renewables at much lower cost and in a far more distributed manner. Scalable grid storage is rapidly becoming a thing. Both are only getting cheaper.

If Thorium MSR actually ever becomes a feasible grid generation source in terms of technology, it would be totally uneconomic, chasing a declining renewable cost curve that will just wipe it off the map. Renewables also aren’t dependent on fuel supply chains or have fuel waste disposal costs.

I can't believe we are discussing the red herring of EVs being powered by coal.

Next we will be discussing how our EVs are destroying the weekends of tradies...

But they are! Think of all those poor tradies who'll no longer be able to make a living by doing oil changes, cleaning out spark plugs, topping up the radiator, and the gearbox oil! How will they be able to afford a good weekend away when that's all gone?

I assume no further word on accessories? I would hope that tesla would send some along, while they're packing containers. I'd like to add the roof racks, and hopefully it doesn't take 6 months (or more) to get them!

The only thing I thought to ask about (mostly because it's the only thing I'm interested in) is the towing pack. All they could say is "it can be fitted after delivery, but we don't know when it'll arrive". I suspect roof racks will be a similar story.

Reactions: Vostok