Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect the transport wrap was only there during the shipping from USA...then Autonexus removes it all, preps the car for delivery, slaps on the Australian government stickers for efficiency etc and ships them 3000kms away on the back of the trucks unprotected..It arrives at Tesla, they give it a wash and remove the bug splatters and you then take delivery from Tesla, taking note of a myriad paint defects and transport damage and hope its fixed post delivery..

I don't understand why car manufacturers ship a $100K item with less protection than a $20 item gets bubble wrapped to oblivion from eBay..

The problem is that such (avoidable) damage is rarely fixed properly. In the past I had a new BMW and Mercedes with paint defects on delivery. The 'brand new' BMW had sanding marks left under the clear coat. The Mercedes had a paint run on the bonnet (probably the result of an earlier pre-delivery attempt at paint rectification). The bonnet was repainted by a very reputable local repairer, but it was never the same. The paint was thick, soft and didn't match the rest of the car. After that I have never accepted a new car with paint defects.

I hope my Telsa arrives without defects.

I was a bit surprised there was no protection in place too, to be honest, but what you saw is what there was, noting that this was on a parked vehicle transport.

They did confirm that the cars were going to the Tesla showroom in Richmond, and there were Two grey, one white, two black, one blue, with a mix of P+, and p- or Sr - I couldn't tell between the later two based on the angle of where I was / them both having the same wheels and aero protection.

I also already purchased one but i think ill install the other at work. I'm worried about the mobile charger getting stolen. Has anyone heard of this happening ?

This is the closest I remember

Help please, Type 2 charging cable theft. But how??? Mystery. : teslamotors

Seems they may have called to stop the charging but not sure how they unlocked it from the car unless it was a software bug. It could have been related to the software ‘feature’ that didn’t lock the charge port during freezing conditions to try and stop the issue of the lock getting stuck...

You could always lock the charger to the car/nearby pole with something like a bike cable which I have seen photo’s of.

Reactions: kevinwithnall
Hi All,

Been watching this thread for the past month and even as a non reservation holder it's very hard not to get caught up in the excitement of it all! For those of you who are still on the fence about ordering (like myself), a rep at Tesla Brisbane advised me today that they will be opening up test drives for non reservation/order holders next week. They also said that they will have a standard range to test from next week. Such a beautiful car, looking forward to seeing the pics and hearing your reviews as the deliveries start to happen over the next couple of weeks.

Cheers, Ben

Do test drives let you actually drive the car or just be a passenger? Thinking about taking the rents for one.
One can dream.
I did a test drive a week ago in Brisbane in a red P+. (And yes, they let me drive it) And I have to agree with everyone else who has driven one... That thing launches like a rocket. The acceleration feels way faster than my motorcycle. It is not just the acceleration, but it is more like a kick, as with other cars and motorcycles, the acceleration is kind of gradual, where on P+ it is instant and insane. It will also cause instant injection of adrenaline from adrenal glands as your nervous system gets suddenly shocked into overdrive. It is addictive feeling.

This is all lining up nicely isn’t it @Vedaprime. Nice to see all of your hard work over the last few weeks being validated.
Get ready to add another colour to your table for “delivered to customers”

Thanks. I appreciate the comment. That will be satisfying. The past month has not been quite what I expected. Vedaprime has become bigger profile than the person behind the Vedaprime account. Really it has been the data telling the story, Vedaprime is just the communicator.

Last edited:
Oh my effing geee!

I just got to go for a quick drive in a Model 3 Performance. I wasn't able to drive, but I was able to be passenger as we launched a couple times. I actually felt my Adams apple being pushed into the back of my throat, and I felt my body lift up into the seat. The speed was enough to put a smile on my face naturally (the Tesla smile), I unapologetically said woooowww (Owen Wilson style) each time we took off, and now I have heart palpations.

Ladies and gents, you are going to f***ing LOVE these cars. I can NOT get this across enough, if you don't believe me...your loss haha.

:cool: I bet it's extremely quick!!
For those us who won't get to drive one for a little while, what's your previous performance car experience?

Even though the Performance will be quicker than 99.9% of what we have driven, people do get used to acceleration. What used to be fast gets boring fairly quickly, so it depends on what people are used to. That's why people keep modifying cars haha.
I scare people in my modified turbo Subaru, and that's only 0-100 in ~5sec.

*But it's the instant acceleration from AWD clutch-dumps that will mimic the acceleration of electric motors more than a high HP RWD car that struggles for grip off the line.

I did a test drive a week ago in Brisbane in a red P+. (And yes, they let me drive it) And I have to agree with everyone else who has driven one... That thing launches like a rocket. The acceleration feels way faster than my motorcycle. It is not just the acceleration, but it is more like a kick, as with other cars and motorcycles, the acceleration is kind of gradual, where on P+ it is instant and insane. It will also cause instant injection of adrenaline from adrenal glands as your nervous system gets suddenly shocked into overdrive. It is addictive feeling.

What bike are you comparing ? I am interested because I have a M3 test drive booked Monday Martin Place. I commute daily on Triumph 675. I imagine the acceleration would be very similar. Could be in for a big surprise.

For those us who won't get to drive one for a little while, what's your previous performance car experience?

Even though the Performance will be quicker than 99.9% of what we have driven, people do get used to acceleration. What used to be fast gets boring fairly quickly, so it depends on what people are used to. That's why people keep modifying cars haha.

*But it's the instant acceleration from AWD clutch-dumps that will mimic the acceleration of electric motors more than a high HP RWD car that struggles for grip off the line.
I used to have a Subaru WRX Impreza, and a V6 Ute. The Impreza was definitely faster and being all wheel drive, gripped the road like a cats death grip.

The boost in that was amazing!

The launch in this Model 3 Performance was double....even triple the fun of the Impreza!

Reactions: paul3
That's the one I went in today.

One of the toys is a modified HSV Gen F GTS pumping close to 800 horses at the engine, it would thrash the model 3 on the quarter but be pretty close 0-100. But I think the model 3 will have much more consistent 0-100 times than ICE cars esp rear wheel drive ICE

Today it is my Toyota Corolla Seca's 25th birthday.

She goes from 0 to 100 in ~5 minutes.

I am almost willing to bet that I received the lowest value trade-in for the old lady. She must also be one of the slowest cars, so I ought to have one of the highest acceleration differentials between new and old vehicle.

Given the above, I do hope that I do not total the Model 3 on the way home from the delivery centre...