Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am with @technerdx6000 on this. I have always been under the impression the lithium based chemistries have better depth of charge handling and higher number of cycles before degradation hits than the lead based batteries.

Traditional and fairly cheap12v batteries will survive cold temperatures without the need for an additional and possibly expensive temperature management system needed with a lithium battery. Although ironically a lot of lead acid battery warnings are triggered on cold mornings when the voltage drops below a set level.

When you requested your quote you were very specifically what the car was going to be used for, private or business. The PDS will have something along

Checked. See post above - 30 hours of Ride Share OK. A binary choice is not applicable. The majority is Private (although that is based on travel to and from work being counted as Private) and the minority is using my car to travel between the office and customer sites.

Fact of the matter, if you do ride sharing, you're also more likely to drive more often, take routes you're unfamiliar with, all things that would lead to an increased risk of accidents.

I'll be doing that anyway just because it is a Tesla, plus I am constantly driving to new locations for meetings, and I am a taxi for my kids as well, so again, the only difference is taking a cut.

I think when you are trying to cut costs in any way possible, a deep cycle lead acid battery > lithium.
That cost cutting is cut badly when they need to purchase the battery and supply in the factory and then once the car arrives need another of those batteries and a tech to replace it. Instead of just making the battery at the factory and then being set until the end of warranty of the car.

That cost cutting is cut badly when they need to purchase the battery and supply in the factory and then once the car arrives need another of those batteries and a tech to replace it. Instead of just making the battery at the factory and then being set until the end of warranty of the car.

Who knows honestly with Tesla. Tbh the whole battery thing has a 50% chance of being made up bullshit. Just have to accept the process and wait for our cars.

I thought a bachelor/doctor of medicine is Dr and a PhD in medicine reverts back to Mr

Surgeons go by Mr. or Ms/Mrs (in some states), it hearkens back to the barbershop days.

How? Please tell me, that sounds excellent!

I got the offer in the mail a few weeks back but it expires end of Sept which is a problem if Tesla doesn't invoice me in time. I called Amex and there is no limit and only exclusion is obvious stuff like cash/gambling etc. Would mean though that I just pay the car off in one lump sum the next month.

Also approved with Macquarie, and I think I'll be able to earn more in the market than their rate. Haven't decided yet on what I will do.

Last edited:
I am with @technerdx6000 on this. I have always been under the impression the lithium based chemistries have better depth of charge handling and higher number of cycles before degradation hits than the lead based batteries.

I think its purely a cost thing, Mountain Pass performance have developed a nice lithium upgrade for the 12 volt Model 3 battery. Saves over 10 kg in weight and comes with a nice bracket, but expensive. MPP Lightweight Lithium Battery Kit Based on the EarthX ETX900 aircraft battery Our Lithium Batteries | earthX Charge Your Ride and come with their own BMS, so should be reliable . I'm thinking of getting one for mine, as our experience with Lithium batteries in race cars have been fantastic, truly amazing things they are.........

Last edited:
Checked. See post above - 30 hours of Ride Share OK. A binary choice is not applicable. The majority is Private (although that is based on travel to and from work being counted as Private) and the minority is using my car to travel between the office and customer sites.

Yeah, I called GIO earlier today when I asked about it. They said that so long that the *primary* use was private, you didn't change to ridesharing usage.

I think its purely a cost thing, Mountain Pass performance have developed a nice lithium upgrade for the 12 volt Model 3 battery. Saves over 10 kg in weight and comes with a nice bracket, but expensive. MPP Lightweight Lithium Battery Kit Based on the EarthX ETX900 aircraft battery Our Lithium Batteries | earthX Charge Your Ride and come with their own BMS, so should be reliable . I'm thinking of getting one for mine......
That looks like a great idea going Lithium with that battery also, however I noticed this:
Fits these vehicles: Model 3 LR, Model 3 MR, Model 3 AWD, Model 3 PUP
They do not list SR and SR+ on the list there. I wonder if there is a problem with those? As the car I ordered is SR+, I might not be able to use this :(