Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interestingly the shipping options are getting a bit thin towards the end of the financial quarter. According to Ports of Auckland we have Warrnambool arriving on Sept 4th; Merkur Ocean on the 9th and Melina arriving on the 16th. Then it’s pretty much nothing in October! :eek:

I can totally understand that.

Just worried about how Tesla owners are perceived in the wider community and don't think that based on those type of discussions I will get much loving from my fellow non-Tesla driving citizens...
Having driven a Tesla for 4.5 years you can never assume what reaction you will get from the general public.
I’ve had expletives shouted at me by one Ute driver and thumbs up from another.
Car people were a bit bemused at first but now are largely positive.
Go out and be yourself in your Tesla and 99% of the reactions will be positive.

Having driven a Tesla for 4.5 years you can never assume what reaction you will get from the general public.
I’ve had expletives shouted at me by one Ute driver and thumbs up from another.
Car people were a bit bemused at first but now are largely positive.
Go out and be yourself in your Tesla and 99% of the reactions will be positive.
The only negative experience I’ve had was a bunch of hoons pulling up alongside yelling something with their doof doof music blasting and some loud thing known as an engine revving away.
Lets just say they were very quiet at the next set of lights.
Then fairly much any boy under the age of 14 “look dad a tesla”.

I know, lets suggest our most wanted feature improvements for the model 3. I’ll start:

1) The only fluid you have to replace is wiper fluid? Surely a rainwater filtration and harvesting system is in order.
2) Perpetually stressed that your phone will run out of battery and you’ll be locked out of your car, or heaven forbid forced to carry your wallet around with you like a loser from 2018? Why don’t we have.a Qi charger on the bonnet (aka froot) of the model 3?

I know, lets suggest our most wanted feature improvements for the model 3. I’ll start:

1) The only fluid you have to replace is wiper fluid? Surely a rainwater filtration and harvesting system is in order.
2) Perpetually stressed that your phone will run out of battery and you’ll be locked out of your car, or heaven forbid forced to carry your wallet around with you like a loser from 2018? Why don’t we have.a Qi charger on the bonnet (aka froot) of the model 3?

I like the rainwater filtration and harvesting idea Crynja!

My suggestion is for a "parking software upgrade".

How often have you come across space at the side of a road that is "almost" long enough for you to parallel park, but it is just 30cm or 50cm short - YET - there is 1.5m gap behind one of the cars parked at either end of this gap on the side of the road?

A Telsa "SMART-parking" software upgrade could use the vehicle's sensors to detect free spaces like that and the "self driving" capability to move the Model 3 so that it creates an additional parking space (by slowly driving into the 1.5m gap).

This would be an entirely altruistic feature, as it does not directly benefit Tesla nor its drivers. However, it would align with Tesla's mission to transition to sustainable transport by reducing emissions of cars having to drive around looking for parking spots.

Interestingly the shipping options are getting a bit thin towards the end of the financial quarter. According to Ports of Auckland we have Warrnambool arriving on Sept 4th; Merkur Ocean on the 9th and Melina arriving on the 16th. Then it’s pretty much nothing in October! :eek:

The shipping schedule is weekly to Auckland. ANL have the released schedule though to the end of January 2020. The schedules do move, so the port only knows so far in advance.

There are plenty of ships coming

Hi all,

Just joined forum because I've run out of things to do while waiting for my 4429XX M3 to arrive at my doorstep Sep 9. All paid. I'm pretty amped. Put down deposit as the livestream of the announcement wrapped up in 2016 and I've never owned an auto, or indeed any car younger than 2001... I feel like I'm going skip 20 years of motor history! I need a sticker that says "My other car is a Tesla" to whack on the family rust bucket Subaru?

I've had a quick flip through but not all THREE HUNDRED PAGES here .. so I have some questions maybe someone could help with.

- Is there *anywhere* to buy accessories for this car in the country yet? Even the Tesla AU stores don't have M3 listed.
- Is there any way to invert power to use the car like a big mobile battery for AC stuff? (Quick google suggests no)
- Is there any other tech in M3 apart from the honeycomb boot that is Space X related / inspired?
- What should I expect on delivery day? I'm in regional NSW. Is it just going to roll off a car transport truck and they hand me a keycard? Will it be juiced up and clean or bug splattered from the drive up the highway? Anyone had a home delivery yet? ‍♂️
- Am I going to be an insufferable arrogant twat forever like I already am with my Apple ecosystem?

Thanks for listening!

Reactions: paulp
I second that. We have a AMEX platinum and love the perks that come with it. Every purchase on the card is insured, points promotions, lounge access, platinum invites to select events, dining etc. They help me spend my hard earned money without making me feel guilty, the shifty bastards..

if you travel a lot i.e. going frequently to europe the health insurance is imho the biggest benefit - saves you from going bancrupt when they have to whip your appendix out in bejing.

Reactions: MonicaPlease
Hi all,

Just joined forum because I've run out of things to do while waiting for my 4429XX M3 to arrive at my doorstep Sep 9. All paid. I'm pretty amped. Put down deposit as the livestream of the announcement wrapped up in 2016 and I've never owned an auto, or indeed any car younger than 2001... I feel like I'm going skip 20 years of motor history! I need a sticker that says "My other car is a Tesla" to whack on the family rust bucket Subaru?

I've had a quick flip through but not all THREE HUNDRED PAGES here .. so I have some questions maybe someone could help with.

- Is there *anywhere* to buy accessories for this car in the country yet? Even the Tesla AU stores don't have M3 listed.
- Is there any way to invert power to use the car like a big mobile battery for AC stuff? (Quick google suggests no)
- Is there any other tech in M3 apart from the honeycomb boot that is Space X related / inspired?
- What should I expect on delivery day? I'm in regional NSW. Is it just going to roll off a car transport truck and they hand me a keycard? Will it be juiced up and clean or bug splattered from the drive up the highway? Anyone had a home delivery yet? ‍♂️
- Am I going to be an insufferable arrogant twat forever like I already am with my Apple ecosystem?

Thanks for listening!
No, no, worlds most powerful car battery, who knows, yes.....in the same order.

You might be relating to ICE cars not tesla cars. To compare the technology of the two is somewhat pointless.
My understanding is that the main battery keeps the 12v battery full at all times. Happy to have that corrected if someone has some facts otherwise. If this is the case, lithium would last a very short period of time.

As the typical terminal cell voltage of a lithium ion battery voltage is 4.2 if used in a 4s configuration the terminal voltage Would be 16.8v so you could charge to 14.4v as is done with a lead acid. So basically you never charge to 100%. Even in a 3s configuration ie (12.6v) you could charge to 12v only. Its a case of system design and costs and in this case there is no reason other than costs that its still lead acid. Anyway this is all academic as Telsa say its "outside their control", yes they actually wrote this in an e-mail. We if the provision of a bog std lead acid battery is outside their control then we are in for a wild ride with Australian service of these vehicles. Here's hoping they are reliable and never break down!

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thanks for listening!

Accessories: Not in Australia but many Overseas like Aftermarket Tesla accessories, gear, consoles, and parts
Vehicle to Home power: Tesla not doing this at the moment as it would compete with their Powerwall business.
SpaceX stuff: I got nothing
Regional delivery: Pop down to Sydney and enjoy the drive home via the Supercharging network.