Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Autopilot is ok when it works, and dangerous when it doesn’t. In an 80 zone autopilot applied maximum braking in response to a road plate ahead. If there had been a car (or heaven forbid a truck) behind me it would have been all over. I was doing 30kmh before I could get my foot on the accelator to override it. In stop start traffic it brakes too aggressively and leaves too large a gap to the car in front (same as my GTI does). I got flashed by the car behind (and rightly so IMO) so I gave up and went old school. The car is a long long way away from full self driving based on what I saw. The braking event has spooked me so much I doubt I will use autopilot.
Autopilot takes a while (like over a week) to "dial itself in" to our road conditions etc. I find every day it does lane merges and corners better, and the incidence of phantom braking reduces, so give it time. That said, you do need to monitor it closely, with hands on the wheel and foot hovering over the brake/accelerator. You can override the slow take-off with the accelerator, apparently, this is improved in the next update. I love autopilot and use it all the time.

Just a heads up to everyone who drives the model 3 for the first few times. Keep in mind that because of the regenerative braking that you don’t really use the brakes. So for the first few 100 km your brakes haven’t bedded in yet. So if you have some spirited driving ...... expect it to take some time to stop. Just saying from experience.....

Took delivery this afternoon in Alexandria, few minor issues but nothing that can't be fixed later. Being as it was in the middle of the day, and they were behind schedule it was a little rushed but understandable considering the amount of people in the waiting area :/

On driving back to Canberra tested out "Autosteer" a few times, almost crapped myself everytime haha, it's far from ready yet.

Did any reservation holders get any "free gifts" I thought there was supposed to be something? I didn't get anything so wanted to be sure before I follow up.

Other than that, definitely the best car I've ever owned, pretty sure I laughed the first time I pressed the pedal fully down and it's only the SR version :)

My quick thoughts after picking up my P- at 9am in Sydney this morning.
  • There were a lot of cars waiting for delivery and a lot of staff.
  • My car was still wet in places, I’d guess washed that morning or the night before.
  • The delivery team member ran through his script but couldn’t answer anything other than simple questions without walking off to ask someone else.
  • It took about 5mins because I cut his script a bit short as I knew it anyway.
  • The car has 4 visible scratches (deep enough to catch a fingernail as you run it over). Plus the usual swirl marks that every dealer manages to put on the paint pre-delivery. They were noted and I was told to log them in the app. I’m going to talk to the people who will do the ceramic paint protection to see if I should leave it to them or get Tesla to fix. I couldn’t find any blemishes in the paint otherwise.
  • There are minor panel gap issues, I actually checked my Golf GTI for reference and it’s nowhere near as good as I would have thought.
  • The car had 6km on it (invoice said 2km) and was 75% charged.
  • It had an old software version on it with the update to 32.2.2 already downloaded and ready to install.
  • The drivers window squeaks badly. If I put the window down 5mm it stops, back up it starts again. I’ll log it to be fixed.
  • The suspension is firmer than, or not as good as my Golf GTI. Not badly so, but adjustable suspension would be great....
  • The acceleration is stupid. Like stupid. I grin and giggle every time. I do worry how a younger me would go in a car like this.... If this sort of speed becomes common I can see a lot more crashes....
  • Regen took a while to get used to but I’m now a one foot driver, you only need the brake from 5kmh to a stop.
  • The smoothness of the motors is incredible, I’m still waiting for gear changes that never come.
  • The steering is really nice.
  • The seats are comfy.
  • The roof is dark enough. On a sunny Sydney day I forgot the roof was glass. Maybe in the middle of summer it will be different.
  • I don’t find the car noisy at all (some complain of wind noise at higher speeds?).
  • It’s using less energy than I thought it would. 150km done at an average of 145wh/km.
  • Autopilot took 4km to calibrate on a clearly marked motorway.
  • Autopilot is ok when it works, and dangerous when it doesn’t. In an 80 zone autopilot applied maximum braking in response to a road plate ahead. If there had been a car (or heaven forbid a truck) behind me it would have been all over. I was doing 30kmh before I could get my foot on the accelator to override it. In stop start traffic it brakes too aggressively and leaves too large a gap to the car in front (same as my GTI does). I got flashed by the car behind (and rightly so IMO) so I gave up and went old school. The car is a long long way away from full self driving based on what I saw. The braking event has spooked me so much I doubt I will use autopilot.
  • The emergency lane departure kicked in for no reason and swerved me toward a concrete lane divider (one of the 3ft high ones). It scared me so much I have turned it off.
  • Sadly I hadn’t set Dashcam up when the above things happened.
  • Hmmm. I’m worried that all sounded negative, it’s the best car I’ve ever driven, I love it, just not autopilot.
I was there picking up my P3+. There were 6 cars being delivered at a time. A new one would come out and have its plates attached as soon as one left. They were working hard.

My paint and panels look good. The roof glass does not quite line up with the back windscreen on one side. Otherwise perfect so far.

It feels more sure footed than my Audi A3 etron and is a lot more quiet. I don’t think it is just better sound insulation because I notice I can hear pedestrians speaking when waiting a crossings.

I’m getting better at one foot driving and it is growing on me fast.

I’m still working out how to manage switching between TACC and Autopilot smoothly for overtaking. It will be nice when automated lane changing gets to Oz.

Out of curiosity I went onto my account page to see if I could purchase FSD.

has anyone had it show up after taking delivery? Under the shop page of manage of my model 3 only the insurance product shows up (which is only for California in the US anyway)

I was hoping to had FSD Post purchase... is this no possible?

Anyone work this one out? Can't seem to find an answer.

My vin is the same as hidden vin.
It was on Cap Capricorn. Arrived Sydney Aug 16. Build date July 10 (Nicola Tesla’s birthday)
5km on odometer

My delivery date is 27 September. The plan is to pay ASAP in case it is ready early.

our invoice received by email 3:18pm today on a Sunday. Odo 7km.
also built 10/7 (Tesla birthday 10/7/1856) VIN 4431XX
delivery scehduled for 30/9, hopefully will get a bit earlier. :)
I don't know what mine is yet but seems like lots of consecutive 3xxYWI number plates being registered in Qld

The emergency lane departure kicked in for no reason and swerved me toward a concrete lane divider (one of the 3ft high ones). It scared me so much I have turned it off.

Is that something you have to repeat every time you start the car? Asking because that seems to be how Tesla describes the feature (emphasis mine):

Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance is designed to steer a Tesla vehicle back into the driving lane if our system detects that it is departing its lane and there could be a collision, or if the car is close to the edge of the road. This feature will automatically be enabled at the beginning of every drive, but can be turned off for a single drive by going to the Autopilot Controls menu.

Hoping you don't have to manually switch off the 'swerve into walls' feature every time you want to go somewhere.

Autopilot takes a while (like over a week) to "dial itself in" to our road conditions etc.

Theoretically at least it can do that even if you're not actively using it during the (apparently pretty scary) "dialing itself in" phase.

our invoice received by email 3:18pm today on a Sunday. Odo 7km.
also built 10/7 (Tesla birthday 10/7/1856) VIN 4431XX
delivery scehduled for 30/9, hopefully will get a bit earlier. :)
I don't know what mine is yet but seems like lots of consecutive 3xxYWI number plates being registered in Qld

330ywi-379ywi as far as I could tell are now used. New range for next ones.

Reactions: robfarago
48B8D94C-361E-473B-B075-622BC938B285.jpeg
Used Richmond supercharger for the first time today around 9:30pm. FWIW, tried using it last night as well but big fail as MCG had football on + warm Sat night meant supercharger was full up. I couldn’t for the life of me get the charger cable off the actual charger until kind Model S owner parked next to me showed up and helped me. Super quick charge and went from 50% to 90% in 30mins at a cost of $11. Limited to 45min charge time (I wonder what happens if you change bays after your allocated 45mins?)
Idle charges accrue after 45mins if you don’t move your car. I dare say that these chargers are going to be super busy in the coming months as more 3 owners start to get their cars delivered and start to use the Richmond supercharger station.

A friend just picked up a LR AWD in Melbourne (ordered after the P- was removed) but there is no “Dual Motor” badge on the back, not missing the underline but instead nothing at all.

Can anyone with a P- confirm theirs had the full Dual Motor with red underline badging? I’m starting to think the P+ may be the only one that has the badging at the back.

My P- has Dual Motor with red underline badging.

Reactions: Techno-phile