Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Help! I had issues with the charge port tonight and in a panic I did a factory reset (port said fail to open). My car now thinks it is in Palo Alto at the HQ! Phone app still connects and I redid my profile. Anyone know what to do? It can't find my home in Australia so I assume the map data is missing... Or is it just lost? How do I tell it where home is? Tried setting home address. It had my suburbs and address but it is still stuck! Thanks in advance. Btw don't bother phoning Tesla from Sydney at 9pm. You get the US towing service :(

Have you tried to take it for a drive so the GPS can calibrate for a while?
Actually I only had to back back 2 metres and bam. I was back in Aus. Reason for the panic was the 3 phase charger install today. I thought we had a major problem as we wired it for 32 amp which of course it can't do. But no, something weird is all. Any way all good. Only bug I have found is a problem with the Vent control. Passenger window kept going down to vent position after cancelled the venting. Fiddling with the app fixed it. BTW anyone need a great install in South West Sydney let me know. The sparkie I found is way cheaper than another quote of 1K for a basic install 1 metre from the switchboard. Are they kidding??? He even moved it where I wanted it a good 7 metres away down the driveway and wired it so I can remove the wall unit to take it on long trips. Great stuff!

Help! I had issues with the charge port tonight and in a panic I did a factory reset (port said fail to open). My car now thinks it is in Palo Alto at the HQ! Phone app still connects and I redid my profile. Anyone know what to do? It can't find my home in Australia so I assume the map data is missing... Or is it just lost? How do I tell it where home is? Tried setting home address. It had my suburbs and address but it is still stuck! Thanks in advance. Btw don't bother phoning Tesla from Sydney at 9pm. You get the US towing service :(

Well, at least your car selected the correct service to get you towed back from Palo Alto! :)

Help! I had issues with the charge port tonight and in a panic I did a factory reset (port said fail to open). My car now thinks it is in Palo Alto at the HQ! Phone app still connects and I redid my profile. Anyone know what to do? It can't find my home in Australia so I assume the map data is missing..

Just moved the car a bit. Don't need much. For me 10m did the trick after a factory reset.

I had to reboot the car a few times as after creating my user profile in the car, it still wouldn't show in the list.
Same for the BT connection.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
About 300 pages earlier, there was a discussion about this. A few people said they saw both LHD and RHD cars mixed on the same line when they visited the factory. I had assumed they would need to turn the line over, but there seemed to be enough confirmation that they are much more flexible and don't need to stop the line to push out RHD and LHD.
Good to know... So that's one less reason for delay for #teamvinless

I am just really curious which wheels I am going to eventually get now. I like them both, so I'll leave it alone and basically take what comes, but if it's the new grey, that means December earliest.

Wow. Order page just updated to the new Grey Wheels (P3+). Guess that confirms it's going to be a while!!!
Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 12.57.00 pm.png

• Love
Reactions: archph and kieranu
Does anybody know how it works with regard to the production line switching from LHD to RHD?
Do they make the switch for a couple of days, a week? Any visibility on when this happens?

When I toured the factory in Freemont a few years ago (pre Model 3 days) they had LHD and RHD models being built one after the other on the same line, you could tell they were building for different regions too because some cars were fitted with different tail lights.

When I toured the factory in Freemont a few years ago (pre Model 3 days) they had LHD and RHD models being built one after the other on the same line, you could tell they were building for different regions too because some cars were fitted with different tail lights.
Wow that sounds like a recipe for disaster! I imagine a frankenmodel3 slipping through every now and then with weird tail lights and the steering wheel poking out of the glovebox!

Wow that sounds like a recipe for disaster! I imagine a frankenmodel3 slipping through every now and then with weird tail lights and the steering wheel poking out of the glovebox!
When you see the video it's not that bad. Literally the only difference is the dash (which has all the changes except the footwell area). So just two variables.

Reactions: MonicaPlease
When you see the video it's not that bad. Literally the only difference is the dash (which has all the changes except the footwell area). So just two variables.
That should be besides the lights as the front lights need to be different also, as they would otherwise be blinding the oncoming traffic. Then the software differences. Some charging port/voltage differences for the 120V vs 230V systems. Now apparently also some models will not have front fog lights installed. Mine has them but they don't work and then others have them and they work. Then some have second amp and sub and EU models have towing ball installed and different colour interior options. So overall the frankenmodel3 slipping through every now and then does not sound that far fetched :p

That should be besides the lights as the front lights need to be different also, as they would otherwise be blinding the oncoming traffic. Then the software differences. Some charging port/voltage differences for the 120V vs 230V systems. Now apparently also some models will not have front fog lights installed. Mine has them but they don't work and then others have them and they work. Then some have second amp and sub and EU models have towing ball installed and different colour interior options. So overall the frankenmodel3 slipping through every now and then does not sound that far fetched :p

If they are smart they would have a single front headlight with a simple way of inverting the beam pattern for left and right hand drive so they don't have to stock two different parts, they are LED after all so it could be as simple as inverting which emitters run brighter than others.

Every single part has a QR type code for it, and the assembly line appeared to be setup to know exactly which parts to use for each car. If there are differences between cars of the same spec built at different time it is unlikely to be an accident, and I would guess it was because of parts supply at the time.

Reactions: Techno-phile