Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Australia model 3s have mcu 3.0 with the new Tesla chips or 2.5 version?
My car was in the first bunch of cars shipped from Tesla and is a July 2019 build, and it records dashcam and sentry mode videos in h264 codec and not h265 as apparently MCU 3.0 is meant to use. I pulled apart the trim under the passenger side the other day, and under there you can see the MCU and it has a sticker on it which says MCU 3.0 so don't think you have 2.5 just because your videos are recorded in h264.

Thank you both! I got a quote from TalkTint for $1,250. Does this sound reasonable?
I got my side front and back windows done for $250

Reactions: MonicaPlease
Spotted this morning in Montmorency and Eltham.
White Model 3 SR+
Grey Model X
Black Model S
Red Euro Garage Creeper. (some form of low slung sports car - ferrari or something - wasn't paying much attention to it.)

SR+ looked really nice. Was it anyone from here?

(I'm the prius you had a very quick chat with near Bolton St.)

Australia model 3s have mcu 3.0 with the new Tesla chips or 2.5 version?
3.0. You can tell by the way they display traffic cones on the screen

There has been a bit of confusion over the MCU in the past few days in the few AU threads for the Model 3. To be clear there are two seperate systems in Teslas. One to control the on screen system (MCUx or Multimedia Control Unit) and a seperate system to control the Autopilot / FSD (HWx or HardWare for Autopilot).

All Model 3s in Australia have the latest HW3 for Autopilot. This has the chip internally developed by Tesla.

The MCU is seperate. The current MCUs are Intel based. All Model 3s in AU essentially have a repackaged version of the MCU2 found in the latest S/X models. It get technical, but the architecture of the Model 3 is different from the S/X so the MCU units are not the same across S/X and 3 due to handling of multiple screens on the S/X, etc. But from a performance standpoint, they are identical to the MCU2 on all current Teslas.

Here is a good link detailing...

Autopilot, Processors and Hardware – MCU & HW Demystified | TeslaTap

As to future upgradability, Musk has said that the HWx hardware for autopilot will get upgrades if you purchased the FSD (HW4 is currently in development). From the best we can all tell, MCUx will not get upgraded for "free" and it is unknown if the Model 3 will be able to upgrade for a fee in the future if they move to a "MCU3".

I curious as to what people are getting tinted. Top/sides/rear? and how dark?

I've hard dark tinting on side and rear windows in the past and, whilst it's great during the day, it does make seeing out of the car much worse at night.

I'm more interested in heat blocking that light. I've read that the top glass is supposed to block most UV but what about IR? Which contributes most to heat?

I've also seen a couple of posts elsewhere suggesting that the tint on the top glass might make it more likely to break from increased tension after the tint dries. Seems silly to me but I have no expertise in this so...

Appreciate any experience/wisdom you can throw my way.
Come on to this thread Window Tinting: 35% or 20% on rear side windows? and I’ll try to answer your questions.

Reactions: HappyPEJ
Thank you both! I got a quote from TalkTint for $1,250. Does this sound reasonable? Will get a quote from Rob too.

Also, for those you who has done it, did you tint the sunroof and the rear window?
Thank you both! I got a quote from TalkTint for $1,250. Does this sound reasonable? Will get a quote from Rob too.

Also, for those you who has done it, did you tint the sunroof and the rear window?
$1250 would be very top end for the sides and full roof ... even for a premium film.

Can you get just the sides done for only $250? Absolutely. But this will not be a premium film.

The one disclaimer to the above would be that if you have an experienced friend in the business that only charged you $250 to put on a premium film it is probably going to be excellent. I’m not a window tinter and don’t claim to know anything more than basic EM physics. Jump over to the more specific thread that Anubis started on tinting. Window Tinting: 35% or 20% on rear side windows?

I am getting mine tinted next week with high end nano ceramic that has 92% IR rejection. Just the sides, and is costing $550 — it was another $100 for the rear window alone as they said it needs two people to fit. I am going to see how I get on without the rear for now and might go back and get it done later. So, $1250 sounds stupidly expensive.

I am getting mine tinted next week with high end nano ceramic that has 92% IR rejection. Just the sides, and is costing $550 — it was another $100 for the rear window alone as they said it needs two people to fit. I am going to see how I get on without the rear for now and might go back and get it done later. So, $1250 sounds stupidly expensive.

That's great, Bigbones. These experiences/prices/quality people like you share are useful to us all.
However, there may be other reasons (one's location for example) which results in something that may be "stupidly expensive" in my marketplace being quite reasonable another.
The car itself is an example, many people see the price and say, nope.

Reactions: HighlyCharged
That's great, Bigbones. These experiences/prices/quality people like you share are useful to us all.
However, there may be other reasons (one's location for example) which results in something that may be "stupidly expensive" in my marketplace being quite reasonable another.
The car itself is an example, many people see the price and say, nope.
Yeah totally. Solar Style in Brisbane is not the cheapest, but they had the highest reputation and also had experience with other M3s which is what tipped the balance in their favour. I didn't fancy the idea of someone doing my car who had never done M3s before - some were even honest enough to say "no" when I asked and others flatly refused to do it.

Reactions: Hungry Mile
There has been a bit of confusion over the MCU in the past few days in the few AU threads for the Model 3. To be clear there are two seperate systems in Teslas. One to control the on screen system (MCUx or Multimedia Control Unit) and a seperate system to control the Autopilot / FSD (HWx or HardWare for Autopilot).

All Model 3s in Australia have the latest HW3 for Autopilot. This has the chip internally developed by Tesla.

The MCU is seperate. The current MCUs are Intel based. All Model 3s in AU essentially have a repackaged version of the MCU2 found in the latest S/X models. It get technical, but the architecture of the Model 3 is different from the S/X so the MCU units are not the same across S/X and 3 due to handling of multiple screens on the S/X, etc. But from a performance standpoint, they are identical to the MCU2 on all current Teslas.

Here is a good link detailing...

Autopilot, Processors and Hardware – MCU & HW Demystified | TeslaTap

As to future upgradability, Musk has said that the HWx hardware for autopilot will get upgrades if you purchased the FSD (HW4 is currently in development). From the best we can all tell, MCUx will not get upgraded for "free" and it is unknown if the Model 3 will be able to upgrade for a fee in the future if they move to a "MCU3".
Thanks mate. Very informative

About $500-$600 is right for brand name ceramic film for side windows.

If you look at the size of the M3 roof and rear glass and then factor in the complexity of installing that over side windows, I don't think an additional $600 for that is stupidly expensive, I'd say it's about right.

Remember I posted about getting stickers to plaster on ICEing vehicles windows that would be hard to remove, and got told off on the forum that it would be "vandalism", even though police said it was fine.

Well long story short, grabbed these pics from the M3 FB group that someone kindly too.

I had a chat with the Westfield valet today while I was there, apparently all the Westfield sites are getting them and have been told to apply liberally at will to cars breaking the rules. These stickers are a pain and a half to remove and disintegrate. To be clear, this is Westfield themselves applying the stickers.

Good to finally see some enforcement for these ICEers. Hope they spend the better part of the afternoon removing stickers.

(from the FB group)

IMG_0340.JPG

IMG_0341.JPG
IMG_0342.JPG

My car was in the first bunch of cars shipped from Tesla and is a July 2019 build, and it records dashcam and sentry mode videos in h264 codec and not h265 as apparently MCU 3.0 is meant to use. I pulled apart the trim under the passenger side the other day, and under there you can see the MCU and it has a sticker on it which says MCU 3.0 so don't think you have 2.5 just because your videos are recorded in h264.

I got my side front and back windows done for $250
I got my side front, back windows and two small side windows done for $400.

Remember I posted about getting stickers to plaster on ICEing vehicles windows that would be hard to remove, and got told off on the forum that it would be "vandalism", even though police said it was fine.

Well long story short, grabbed these pics from the M3 FB group that someone kindly too.

I had a chat with the Westfield valet today while I was there, apparently all the Westfield sites are getting them and have been told to apply liberally at will to cars breaking the rules. These stickers are a pain and a half to remove and disintegrate. To be clear, this is Westfield themselves applying the stickers.

Good to finally see some enforcement for these ICEers. Hope they spend the better part of the afternoon removing stickers.
I’m not about to show any sympathy for ICErs but this is still vandalism to me. I suppose the argument is the “damage” is not “permanent” but takes a lot of effort to undo (but equally a dinged panel is not permanent and can be undone, but people would not debate whether that is vandalism or not). Presumably Westfield got good legal advice before reinstating this practice.

I’m not about to show any sympathy for ICErs but this is still vandalism to me. I suppose the argument is the “damage” is not “permanent” but takes a lot of effort to undo (but equally a dinged panel is not permanent and can be undone, but people would not debate whether that is vandalism or not). Presumably Westfield got good legal advice before reinstating this practice.
Back in the day, when I was still driving my ICE car, I once ran into the issue that I needed to jump through a store for 10 minutes and there were no unused parking spots. Next door there was some shop with parking spots marked for that store customers only. I figured I could park there and run quickly through the other shop. When I got back, I had one of those nasty stickers on my windshield that took me an hour to remove and clean off. Since then I have never parked in a spot if it is marked for specific purpose and I am not doing. So those stickers are not EV specific and the owners of parking lots have used them for ages with rather high success for getting people in the area to comply. I remember before that they used to have signs that the car will be towed and that is even worse than a sticker, as you have to chase down who and where and then pay for Uber/taxi to it and pay more for the tow, thus losing time and money, where with sticker you just lose time. If you do not comply with the parking spot owners signs, I do not believe you can claim vandalism unless the car actually gets damaged and not just towed or had a non compliance sticker put on it, that just takes time to remove.

(from the FB group)

View attachment 485581
View attachment 485582View attachment 485584

Fair enough (my original response - #11603). I'm far more comfortable with the shopping centre/car park owners doing this rather than Tesla owners.
If it's by them and is the same as for other parking offences then it won't escalate into ICE v EV wars (hopefully).