Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car afaik uses Ubuntu as it's base, at least in the Model S.
I think EXT/EXT4 whaever does not work - someone tested it here and it caused data corruption with 2 partitions. Maybe that has changed now though!
Don't have a car yet but EXT3 and EXT4 should work.

Snipaste_2019-12-17_20-16-08.png

I was looking at the Model 3 manual before picking up the car tomorrow and I noticed there was an Australian version, correct me if I'm wrong but I've only seen the North American version.

I compared the files and there seem to be a reasonable amount of changes, mostly just imperial to metric but there are some other interesting differences that are reasonably important. It also comes with all of the Australian government mandatory warnings for seatbelts, airbags, etc.

You can look at the differences for yourself here. This is an Adobe comparison document.
Adobe Document Cloud

And you can grab the Aussie manual here directly from Tesla.
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_australia_au.pdf

I was looking at the Model 3 manual before picking up the car tomorrow and I noticed there was an Australian version, correct me if I'm wrong but I've only seen the North American version.

I compared the files and there seem to be a reasonable amount of changes, mostly just imperial to metric but there are some other interesting differences that are reasonably important. It also comes with all of the Australian government mandatory warnings for seatbelts, airbags, etc.

You can look at the differences for yourself here. This is an Adobe comparison document.
Adobe Document Cloud

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_australia_au.pdf

I see you're getting your car today! You're gona love it.....

Make sure you get the interior ceramic coated straight away (interior I am talking, exterior of course). JJ fitted me in on Monday, you'll be glad you will have protected it so that the jeans blue dye transfer is easy to wipe off (I wish I had done it on my wife's X as soon as we got it, same vegan creame leather interior):

You get 10% off if you're a Tesla Club Memeber (TOCA):

Jerald (JJ) Liu
Managing Director
Affinesse
p: 0395812653 m: 0422741702
a: 4/75 Main Road, Clayton South VIC 3169
w: affinesse.com.au

I couldn't recommended him more highly, JJ is a really nice chap.

Also see you have a PW2 being installed? As do I (Founders Series, red etc.) in I hope early January....the 12kw solar array I have is great, but with the PW2 will be fantastic.....well until I need more panels or a PW3 ;)

Reactions: tessiestraya
Can anyone tell me if this is a normal sound for the Model 3 to make (when the A/C powers on, I think is when it does this)?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dBFYQ86o669CFesz7

I'm pretty sure this "sounds like a small aircraft taking off" thing is a new development...or do all the cars make this sound and I just never heard it for the first couple months of ownership?

Was it particularly hot or cold? I've just been reading the manual and it does says that you might hear the air con running when charging as part of the system to manage battery temperature. (Even if you have the air con turned off, the car can turn it on itself if needed.)

Can anyone tell me if this is a normal sound for the Model 3 to make (when the A/C powers on, I think is when it does this)?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dBFYQ86o669CFesz7

I'm pretty sure this "sounds like a small aircraft taking off" thing is a new development...or do all the cars make this sound and I just never heard it for the first couple months of ownership?

Yes, mine sounds similar with the high pitch disappearing after 30 or so seconds. I've also had my vehicle for a couple of months, but only noticed it yesterday. I was in the Carpark in full sun - ambient temp was about 40 deg and hence I did wonder if it was something to do with temperature. However, I don't normally start the air con full throttle from outside my car.

Tomorrow is 44 degC, followed by 45 on Friday. The weekend is then in the mid 20s, so I'll listen for any changes.

Was it particularly hot or cold? I've just been reading the manual and it does says that you might hear the air con running when charging as part of the system to manage battery temperature.

Not really; the car was parked in the garage, during the evening. I've always been able to hear when the aircon switched on, but from what I remember it used to be a fairly low-pitched and tolerable kind of humming sound, not the obnoxious whirring that you can hear in the video.

Adobe Document Cloud

Ha Ha!!! and the very first picture shows a Left Hand Drive car.

But thanks for the post and link.

Reactions: baillies
It is really weird, they changed every single picture according to the md5 of them but.. they are all still left-hand drive except some.
Seems like it was very rushed and was just done to have the mandatory Australian government safety information. Probably was asked by them to do it by the regulators.

Page 33 is a page that was in addition and I believe is required in Australia.

No cost to that? It is really that simple?
Yes. I picked my car up from Auto nexus then went straight to the DOT that held the customer plates and got the plates swapped the same day. I had to take the new plates off the car hand them in and then about 15 mins wait while they found the custom plates - no cost. You just need to be able to fix your customer plates to the car with out damaging it. My custom plates had different size holes than the holes on the car so take along a heavy duty double sided tape.

Reactions: Techno-phile
My SR+'s front suspensions seem to be a bit noisy when driving over small bumps, is this normal for this car?
I got my car a bit over 2 weeks ago. It came with a few blemishes on the paintwork, which were logged on delivery, but I probably won't bother to get them corrected. Also my pearl white rear bumper doesn’t quite match the colour of the steel body panels adjacent to it. It’s the same on other cars in the showroom, so I put it down to this is just how it is with Tesla. I gather some had received their cars in much worse condition, apart from some other minor panel misalignment, mine is otherwise fine. I think the paint quality and finish on Tesla still has some rooms for improvement.

Last edited: