Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lame wheels and no roof, not worth the asking price but I am sure someone will buy it.
Maybe, but looking at the historic sold/removed list there are very, very few which 'sell' in the 6 digits - and those that do are better optioned.

In fact I looked over the historic data again tonight and am not sure I understand Tesla's pricing strategy (assuming there is one). Of the 36 pages and 720 vehicles 'sold' you only need to go 6 pages (120 vehicles) in before the prices are in the 70s.
On the available site, you have to go further than that in the available 240 vehicles to get below 80K.

My take away is that about 15M of the CPO inventory is not priced to move, it is instead priced to substantiate a new sale of a lower spec vehicle instead. Indeed many of the advisors will quickly steer you from CPO to similarly prices, lower optioned, inventory vehicles.

Now having $16M of inventory CPO/INV does not really help the financial picture for Tesla - so it's clearly a sales tool. And the $16M also is not that interesting to realize, especially if allowing the CPOs to go at lower prices pushes down the private sale price and reduces the illusion (or fixing) of private sale pricing.

So the off-menu CPOs which are sold at lower prices help to move aging stock - while not going into the 'sold/removed' stats ...

Bottom line, CPOs are really selling for mid-70s or less, everything else is just a positioning price for new and inventory sales.

Just my opinion, after tracking it for a couple of months as an active potential buyer.

Just my opinion, after tracking it for a couple of months as an active potential buyer.

When I put in my deposit, on the day the CPO site launched, I was concerned that waiting would get lower priced cars or maybe even a car with autopilot, and that I was acting in haste and should have delayed. I never imagined that all the bargains would get snatched up leaving a lot of highly priced P85 and P85+ vehicles that are losing the competition with new 70, 70D and 85D cars.

I'm glad I moved quickly when I found the exact car I wanted at a price that was lower than what I expected to pay in a private party sale.

Good article today in Fortune -- and also being reposted on several other news sites:

These are the hidden costs of buying that Tesla you always wanted - Fortune

I think the author Stacey Higginbotham is on TMC because I remember reading about the insurance quote mix-up, but I don't remember where (perhaps in this thread?). Anyway, this article is driving A LOT of traffic to EV-CPO.com, so thanks, Stacey!

Good article today in Fortune -- and also being reposted on several other news sites:

I think the author Stacey Higginbotham is on TMC because I remember reading about the insurance quote mix-up, but I don't remember where (perhaps in this thread?). Anyway, this article is driving A LOT of traffic to EV-CPO.com, so thanks, Stacey!

seems like the only hidden cost is installing the charger... which is not all that much a surprise given you're buying an EV

The hidden cost is the cost of your time talking to everyone who comes up to you asking questions about your car. ;)

Nice! Congrats on the pseudo namecheck, Hank.

All of the extra steps and purchases are collectively a lot so far, but the fun of recreating my Tesla test drive whenever I feel like it, is making it all worthwhile.

Good article today in Fortune -- and also being reposted on several other news sites: These are the hidden costs of buying that Tesla you always wanted - Fortune
Yes the article title is a bit of click bait, but then that's true of just about everything online. The article itself is fairly reasonable and just points out three areas that people should think about: installing a 240 V outlet in the garage if not already have present, (typical cost being only a tiny fraction of the cost of the car) a possible rise in auto insurance costs (but in the authors case there was in fact a slight decrease in her insurance cost), and in her case a very minor issue of some extra work to register the car in Texas, which is only relevant to Texas.
The authors conclusion is that the car was totally worth it.

I loved the article content, but why the click bait title?. In fact the article completely negates the title. The article states there are no other costs than, taxes (what a surprise), shipping and around $500 for an electrical outlet. The last item is the only thing that is different from any gas car and it is a one time expense that can used for all your future EV purchases.

For every person that reads that articles, there are 10 others that are simply reading the headline, shaking their head and moving on...

I loved the article content, but why the click bait title?. In fact the article completely negates the title. The article states there are no other costs than, taxes (what a surprise), shipping and around $500 for an electrical outlet. The last item is the only thing that is different from any gas car and it is a one time expense that can used for all your future EV purchases.

For every person that reads that articles, there are 10 others that are simply reading the headline, shaking their head and moving on...

You are absolutely right...First when I read the title ...I was thinking the same...not another negative article about Tesla

What a horrible article, since when paying sales tax and insurance are hidden costs?

You are absolutely right...First when I read the title ...I was thinking the same...not another negative article about Tesla

Agreed, dumb title. For nearly every EV other than Tesla, you have to buy an EVSE for ~$500 in addition to the 240V outlet/wiring (assuming you want Level 2 charging). So I would argue that Tesla has less "hidden" costs, at least when it comes to charging.

For nearly every EV other than Tesla, you have to buy an EVSE for ~$500 in addition to the 240V outlet/wiring (assuming you want Level 2 charging)

Facts:

1. All EV's that I am aware of bundle an EVSE with the car. While we can argue that most are L1 120V, which is less useful than the (excellent) Tesla UMC, it is entirely possible to spend no additional money on charging infrastructure if you have a standard 120V outlet.

Example : My Smart ED came with an OEM L1 EVSE, and it's all I've ever used to charge the car in 2 years and 13000 km of daily city commute driving.

2. Tesla Model S burns through >1 kWh daily (aka the vampire drain), and on the coldest winter day, the battery heater uses as much power as a 120V outlet provides, leading to no charging at all. Other EV's don't nearly consume or drain this much energy in those situations.

Example : My Smart ED consumes almost no standby power, left unplugged for two weeks, I come back with the same amount of battery charge as I left it. Charging on cold winter days works similarly to warm days, no difference in charge time. Therefore, the Tesla due to the nature of it's energy usage often (mostly?) requires 240V charging.

While these facts may be inconvenient, they are true. We agree the Tesla is brilliant, but other EV's are awesome too in their own ways, in their own usage.

Last edited:

Stacey is not on TMC, but you're correct that this insurance quote mix-up was posted on the board. I posted it, and I'm her husband.

I know some people are griping about the headline, and I don't blame them. All I'll say is that anyone who's been in journalism knows that the headline process is sometimes separated from writing the article.

Hank, your site was instrumental in helping us pick out our CPO. The historical data helped us benchmark if the car was priced right, and the paid version made it simple to find the cars that met our requirements. You've priced it too low, though -- only $10 to make a good decision on a $70k purchase?:smile:

Buying a car sight-unseen was unnerving, but we've been very happy so far. I'll post more about the experience some other time.

Stacey is not on TMC, but you're correct that this insurance quote mix-up was posted on the board. I posted it, and I'm her husband.

I know some people are griping about the headline, and I don't blame them. All I'll say is that anyone who's been in journalism knows that the headline process is sometimes separated from writing the article.

Hank, your site was instrumental in helping us pick out our CPO. The historical data helped us benchmark if the car was priced right, and the paid version made it simple to find the cars that met our requirements. You've priced it too low, though -- only $10 to make a good decision on a $70k purchase?:smile:

Buying a car sight-unseen was unnerving, but we've been very happy so far. I'll post more about the experience some other time.

+1 that she said 240V instead of the incorrect 220V, -1 when she said 110V instead of the correct 120V.

Taxes and Insurance, sure, but true for any other car I'll buy as well. I suppose they had a word or line or paragraph minimum and she had to stretch the piece just to get them to run it.

Texas isn't flat? I wish the article had a picture of your driveway.

Still overall the article didn't come across as negative and I can understand that she might not have control of the clickbait title.

For me the EVSE and wiring cost were dealt with when I got my Nissan Leaf. I put in a 14-50 and got an evse that plugs into 14-50 so I don't have additional expenses to look forward to other than getting my next EV.

Nice price but no pano roof... Otherwise well equipped. At $97K this might be the first P85D CPO under $100K.

I think most people walk away from that deal because there is no pano roof and seats are textile seats...

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry to get back on topic but this P85D is nicely priced!

85 kWh Performance Model S P64843 | Tesla Motors

Cannot wait until I can trade in my 85 for a p85d!

I am with you on this....I want a P85D as well