Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my 2013 Model S CPO in August 2017 with 30,000km with the understanding it came with the 4yr/80,000km warranty, so I should be good until 2021 or 110,000km. But when I recently brought it in for warranty service they told me the warranty expires in August and it only came with 2 years.. I have no warranty info in my online account, but the sales agreement says "limited new car warranty".

My understanding is the shortened 2yr warranty for older or high mileage cars did not exist until early 2018. Can anyone help confirm this?

The service center just referred me to the warranty section on the Tesla website which has changed since I bought in 2017, so they aren't much help. I even showed them the archived page from 2017 that makes no mention of the 2 year, but that didn't make any difference.

You're right, that VIN is not in the database.

Although at that time, the 2yr pre-owned warranty was only being assigned to cars with more than 50,000 miles (or 40k km, I suppose). It wasn't until sometime last year I believe that they started including lower mileage cars from 2014 or earlier in the 2 yr warranty regardless of mileage. I could be mistaken on that, it would require digging through this thread (and others) to find out when they started that.

There's no mention of the warranty in any of your paperwork or MVPA?

You're right, that VIN is not in the database.

Although at that time, the 2yr pre-owned warranty was only being assigned to cars with more than 50,000 miles (or 40k km, I suppose). It wasn't until sometime last year I believe that they started including lower mileage cars from 2014 or earlier in the 2 yr warranty regardless of mileage. I could be mistaken on that, it would require digging through this thread (and others) to find out when they started that.

There's no mention of the warranty in any of your paperwork or MVPA?

This is the warranty section of my agreement, and here is the archived version of their website from 2017:

Annotation 2019-06-21 063256.png Capture.JPG

What does it say on your TESLA ACCOUNT page?

Seems pretty cut and dry to me. You might have to open a binding arbitration case to settle the issue. There should be details on how to do that in your paperwork.

The only things in there are my finance terms and the terms of the agreement, which I didn't notice until today actually says "Pre Owned" in the title too. Attached below..

Looks like I'll open a case with Tesla arbitration - thanks I had no idea that option existed, but I googled a newer agreement that has the info.

Attachments

• Terms and Conditions.pdf
    49.5 KB · Views: 48
Hey, I'm looking at the ev-cpo website and see that some of the older model s (2013-2014) have "autopilot hardware" listed as "~3.0". What does this "~3.0" mean? Does it mean that Tesla has upgraded the AP hardware in these older (2013) model s to the newer chip that's supposed to be able to handle FSD? If so, where does it say that in their listing? Thanks,

It means that the AP hardware is likely to be AP3 hardware, but there's no actual way to tell from the option codes supplied from Tesla.

Tesla used to supply dozens of option codes detailing every feature and option for their listings, but several months ago, they started abbreviating them to only list the options absolutely necessary to describe a car (color, range, interior, etc)... and one of the option codes they are not sending anymore is the one to indicate which AP hardware is included. So in absence of that and based on year/VIN, "~3" means that it's most likely AP3, but don't hold me to it if it's not, because I can't actually tell you which it is for certain.

edit: I see now for older cars without any AP that's triggering the "~3" also. I'll look into fixing that. If the software says "No AP" that's what it means. No 2013 and very few 2014 cars had AP. Tesla is not upgrading these to AP3. If they have AP, it's AP1 though mid-2016.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
Hey, I'm looking at the ev-cpo website and see that some of the older model s (2013-2014) have "autopilot hardware" listed as "~3.0". What does this "~3.0" mean? Does it mean that Tesla has upgraded the AP hardware in these older (2013) model s to the newer chip that's supposed to be able to handle FSD? If so, where does it say that in their listing? Thanks,

This has been fixed. Thanks for letting me know.

in looking at used MS on Tesla site, several are 2018 models and they are selling for low to mid $70ks. Nevermind being a model year or two older, and the inability to use V3 chargers, new suspension, better range/motor. When you factor in the mileage they have, warranty absorbed, tire tread worn, dings/dents, and being that much closer to upcoming costly service, and contrast that with paying $5-7k more, minus a tax credit, why on earth would anyone buy a used one when it's effectively the same price as a new one for a lower quality car?

in looking at used MS on Tesla site, several are 2018 models and they are selling for low to mid $70ks. Nevermind being a model year or two older, and the inability to use V3 chargers, new suspension, better range/motor. When you factor in the mileage they have, warranty absorbed, tire tread worn, dings/dents, and being that much closer to upcoming costly service, and contrast that with paying $5-7k more, minus a tax credit, why on earth would anyone buy a used one when it's effectively the same price as a new one for a lower quality car?

Yeah I've noticed that too. Tesla's used program was and continues to be insane. It's almost like they really dont want to sell cars.

Reactions: ZappCatt
and a higher interest rate to top it off...my only guess is there are two types of buyer for these: a) the uneducated consumer, that just limits their search to used thinking it will be cheaper and b) the buyer that has a hard cap budget and its the only option. But either way, both of those options, for a $70k car, seem unlikely, as a buyer at this level presumably is a sophisticated consumer. but they sell them, so apparently buyers are out there?

Reactions: ZappCatt
Going to try and revive this thread - This is the thread that helped me find my 2013 Model S in 2016...I've had it just shy of 3.5 years and I think it's time to figure out how to get a newer car with a refreshed warranty.

I went through Brent Seavey and he was awesome and helped me find exactly (and I mean EXACTLY) what I wanted and on the lower side of my budget. Brent has since been moved to new vehicle sales and I've found nobody at Tesla who has replaced him adequately.

I've seen some really crazy deals hit EV-CPO Hunter website - but they are gone virtually as soon as they post.

Not sure what to do at this point - but the current Model S I have it getting too risky to continue to rely on (car is stuck at work) as I've now had 2 non-driveable events in the last year alone

It's been a very dramatic ownership experience to say the very least...

Last edited:
the current Model S I have it getting too risky to continue to rely on (car is stuck at work) as I've now had 2 non-driveable events in the last year alone

I'm curious the problems you've had. I'm in a similar situation although my MS has not stranded me as it sounds like you've had. Similar in that I don't care to be owning a Tesla out of warranty (regardless of the car's history). Thanks!