Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This deal is just getting worse all the time. What's up with that?
Two things. First, priority access might be a more a curse than a blessing after a few updates that change things for the worse. (See all the bitching during the initial V8 to V9 rollout). You might not want it once it breaks a feature you really really like.

Second, before you freak out too much, remember back in 2012 the internet access and map updates and all the tech package stuff was only supposed to be for a few years and they ended up grandfathering the older cars for life. So just because they say 2020 cutoff now, doesn't mean it will stick.

Last one delivered today!

Attachments

• D5CD8943-CFBE-45E9-916F-09864DD9EF11.jpeg
    D5CD8943-CFBE-45E9-916F-09864DD9EF11.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 92
https://electrek.co/2019/02/05/tesla-model-3-price-reduction/

Tesla attributes the price change “primarily” to the end of the referral program. A Tesla spokesperson sent us the following statement:

“Primarily as a result of ending the referral program, which cost far more than we realized, Tesla is able to lower the price of Model 3 by $1,100.”

Last month, Tesla CEO Elon Musk announced that the automaker will end its referral program, which he described as costly, especially for Model 3. Tesla has been making a lot of changes to its price structure lately.

Tesla reduces Model 3 price, now starts at $42,900 before incentives

Tesla attributes the price change “primarily” to the end of the referral program. A Tesla spokesperson sent us the following statement:

“Primarily as a result of ending the referral program, which cost far more than we realized, Tesla is able to lower the price of Model 3 by $1,100.”

Last month, Tesla CEO Elon Musk announced that the automaker will end its referral program, which he described as costly, especially for Model 3. Tesla has been making a lot of changes to its price structure lately.

I expect my Performance rebate to be $6,100 now. I kid. I kid.

Just saw this article:
Ordered Tesla Model 3, S, X, Solar, Or Powerwall Before February 2 Without Referral Code? You Can Still Get Free Supercharging! — Referral Code "How To" + Owner Tips & Tricks | CleanTechnica

My last effort to get one referral. If you ordered prior to Feb 1 and didn't use a referral code at the time of order and you have not taken delivery, if you are willing to use my referral code. I will offer:
  • Tesla Model 3 diecast car (from Day 1 reservation)
  • Tesla Folio Art Collectible Sketch from Elon
  • 3D MAXPider All Weather Floor Mat for your Model 3
  • Tesla Home Wall Connector (Silver or Black, will order from Tesla to ship to your home)
Let me know if you can help. :)

Besides free roadsters, I think Tesla giving away wall connectors, kid cars, and wheels was a bad idea. A lot of them ended up on eBay, craigslist, and buy/sell section of forums. Some low cost, but high value items they could have given instead:

VIP factory tour
Q/A session with leadership
Reception at local Tesla store
Signed photos/sketches
10% coupon for Tesla accessories store
$100 supercharging credit
Badge or sticker for your car

Many other possibilities that would have kept the spirit of the referral program alive without costing Tesla too much money or turning it into a "please use my code" free for all.

Besides free roadsters, I think Tesla giving away wall connectors, kid cars, and wheels was a bad idea. A lot of them ended up on eBay, craigslist, and buy/sell section of forums. Some low cost, but high value items they could have given instead:

VIP factory tour
Q/A session with leadership
Reception at local Tesla store
Signed photos/sketches
10% coupon for Tesla accessories store
$100 supercharging credit
Badge or sticker for your car

Many other possibilities that would have kept the spirit of the referral program alive without costing Tesla too much money or turning it into a "please use my code" free for all.

Yeah, I don't get why they wouldn't want to encourage owners to actively promote the product. They were already moving to this model with "Priority Software Updates." Instead of giving away free tires or charger, offer them at cost (50% off?) which is still an awesome deal and a breakeven for Tesla.

Make the "badge" a digital one that can be pushed via software. A little emblem like "Founder's Edition." Earn X months of free Internet connectivity for each referral, once they start billing. Maybe get Free Unlimited Supercharging (explicitly for non-commercial/business long-distance travel greater than 100 miles from your home) with 5 referrals. With 10 referrals it stays with the car or owner for life. Or, to your point, give that $100 credit, but only when 100 miles from home.

Basically, take away much of that financial incentive where people can make a profit from the program. If you took away the Radio Flyer, Powerwalls, Tires, and Wall Charger (instead, offering them at a large discount), I don't see how they could lose money with the program.

Worst case scenario, exclude Model 3s except for Performance variants. It seems like adding Model 3s is what flooded the program. Make these people doing referrals work to push buyers to higher margin cars. Tesla won't need help when they're finally at $35k.

Yeah, I don't get why they wouldn't want to encourage owners to actively promote the product.
The thing is, many of us were actively promoting the product already. And when we did, our recommendation didn't come with the taint of potential personal gain. As soon as the referral program was introduced, it left some small question mark behind the recommendation, especially when recommending it to strangers. I never gave my referral code to anyone in person, mostly because of that. I had one referral over the duration of the entire program, and it was someone here at TMC that asked for it based on my contributions and help I'd given them.

I realize I'm in the minority, especially in this thread. But it always felt a little icky to me. And moderating here, I got to see some of the nastier stuff that it brought out of people.

I'm glad we can get back to recommending the car simply because we happen to like it and think it's a good product.

The thing is, many of us were actively promoting the product already. And when we did, our recommendation didn't come with the taint of potential personal gain. As soon as the referral program was introduced, it left some small question mark behind the recommendation, especially when recommending it to strangers. I never gave my referral code to anyone in person, mostly because of that. I had one referral over the duration of the entire program, and it was someone here at TMC that asked for it based on my contributions and help I'd given them.

I realize I'm in the minority, especially in this thread. But it always felt a little icky to me. And moderating here, I got to see some of the nastier stuff that it brought out of people.

I'm glad we can get back to recommending the car simply because we happen to like it and think it's a good product.

I certainly understand where you're coming from, but ultimately rewards do work to motivate people. Even people already actively promoting Tesla. I'm sure it incentivised quite a few people to spend more time and money creating content and providing "tech support" for Tesla. That's why I advocated for rewards that were more "we appreciate your time" than "here, sell these on eBay." I think there's a place in the middle that can motivate influencers and weed out people trying to get free stuff.

For now, though, enjoy the silence. :)

I still have one ordered-but-not-delivered referral. While I'm passed the claimable awards, what happens to other people if they have a referral order that's not delivered by Feb 28th?

It seems like the referral program is just asking for hundreds more emails/complaints/status updates to be sent to them when it's not really necessary to impose such a short deadline.

Instead of asking the owners to comply to such a short deadline to claim prizes, how about actually delivering the awards on a timely basis? I still have one set of Arachnids I claimed over a year ago, and it says "at your service center" but nope, they've never seen them show up. Emails to the RP go unanswered.

I still have one ordered-but-not-delivered referral. While I'm passed the claimable awards, what happens to other people if they have a referral order that's not delivered by Feb 28th?

It seems like the referral program is just asking for hundreds more emails/complaints/status updates to be sent to them when it's not really necessary to impose such a short deadline.

Instead of asking the owners to comply to such a short deadline to claim prizes, how about actually delivering the awards on a timely basis? I still have one set of Arachnids I claimed over a year ago, and it says "at your service center" but nope, they've never seen them show up. Emails to the RP go unanswered.

Yep, not to mention the ongoing award period errors. I still have the solar roof token listed as my #3 rather than the wheels. RP said they're working on a fix but this new deadline doesn't seem reassuring. Anyway want to buy my solar roof token for $3000? ;)

Yep, not to mention the ongoing award period errors. I still have the solar roof token listed as my #3 rather than the wheels. RP said they're working on a fix but this new deadline doesn't seem reassuring. Anyway want to buy my solar roof token for $3000? ;)

Token - wheels swap error happened to me too... how did you get a hold of someone?

And is Feb 28 the deadline to order awards??! Not April 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.