Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2023.38

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else had challenges with 38.6 on a Model X? I updated last night, and all seemed well, but not the car is showing 'Software Update Required - Schedule Service'. The car drives, but all cameras are not working, and therefore AP won't work. I've tried rebooting, but it made no difference.

38.6 seems particularly bad for trying to dive off the motorway onto a slip road as you pass it. Might just be a lack of a leading car this morning or the light levels.

Ah - good point about the light.

Tried a bit of EAP on the M25 this afternoon.

- Car distancing was set to 5, felt wayyyy closer.
- Traffic came to an abrupt standstill at 60-65mph, had to intervene with hard braking.

38.6 seems particularly bad for trying to dive off the motorway onto a slip road as you pass it. Might just be a lack of a leading car this morning or the light levels.

And earlier too. Ours on 32.6 did a pretty good impersonation of leaving the M54 J2 Westbound this morning. Indicator (once), swerve then me catching it without disengaging autosteer.

On a plus, it did manage to stay on M40 at Oxford turn off this year though. Its been intent on taking us to Oxford for previous 3 years.

Is this just cars on NoA? Not that that off ramp functionality is enabled any more.

Last edited:
Has anyone else had challenges with 38.6 on a Model X? I updated last night, and all seemed well, but not the car is showing 'Software Update Required - Schedule Service'. The car drives, but all cameras are not working, and therefore AP won't work. I've tried rebooting, but it made no difference.
Installed 38.6 on my Legacy MX Raven a couple of days back. I haven’t driven far since then but I haven’t noticed any issues yet (touch wood!).

Reactions: Lee Davis
Is it just me (or did I just miss this), but there is now a very frequent 'Location Sharing' icon at the top left of the screen since 2023.38 - keeps popping up.
IMG01.jpg

Clicking on it gives this dialogue:
IMG02.jpg

Is it just me (or did I just miss this), but there is now a very frequent 'Location Sharing' icon at the top left of the screen since 2023.38 - keeps popping up.
View attachment 990320

Clicking on it gives this dialogue:
View attachment 990321
Yes it was in the release notes.
Overall this is a very privacy focused update between this and the ability to remove Tesla support access to remote start your car & run remote diagnostics without your consent.

Reactions: spooksman
Anyone had the chance to try this on the motorway yet? The phantom braking (even when driving manually) on 2023.32 has led me to book the train for all my long journeys for the rest of the year.
We tried it on the M25 a couple of days ago.

Seemed to work fine, no phantom braking the whole trip.

Just the distance between cars seemed a bit closer than expected.

But that’s just us, we aren’t heavy auto-pilot users just yet.

Reactions: Fursty Ferret
September 2023 Model Y user here, newish to the forum and just been “watching” a few threads. Time to chip in!!

Although not being an owner for long the last software really seemed to screw up Autopilot/Autosteer and I stopped using it. Only been a day with 2023.38.6 but it appears usable again.

I noticed that it’s picking up cars/signs/road lines better. It is also not as sensitive to RED cars around it.

• Informative
Reactions: Bantam
You could just try reading my posts more carefully… this isn’t the car refusing to pass while on Autopilot, it’s the full alert and hard braking as someone to the left or right drifts slightly in their lane.

It’s worse on AP, but happens when driving manually too.
Fair enough, can’t say I’ve ever experienced any phantom braking while driving the car myself.

Has anyone else had this happen to them with the last update? Maybe worth raising a service request

Maybe worth raising a service request
I did. They could see the events logged in the history along with the dashcam clips, but told me that it wasn’t just me.

They were not happy with the Autopilot team because they get no more information about changes / implementation / updates than customers, but have to field the problems. They could be trialling multiple different versions of the various NN handling object recognition and path prediction on different vehicles under the same global software version and evaluating how they behave.

Every vehicle is probably subtlety different in terms of camera performance and then every journey is different too.

For those still suffering with the AP braking issue, try turning off AEB from Controls > Autopilot > Automatic Emergency Braking and then turning it back onto the level you want. I tried this in mine last week and did a motorway journey where the lanes were narrow and some vehicles were straying slightly towards me and there was no hesitation or braking. Could have just been the conditions, could just be coincidence - but it’s worth a go.