Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2023.38

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I last saw and drove my car in late Aug / early Sept ish and reading threads like this make me wonder whether to update to the newest software.

I utterly hated whatever I had on collection in Dec 21 and nearly returned it as unfit and unsafe to use. A subsequent update fixed that.

Since then, I’ve had very few issues and think 26.9 (which it’s still on) was probably the best it’s been all round. I primarily drive on EAP (as my commute is national speed roads) so defo don’t want it slamming on when trying to pass vehicles on my long commute as it will annoy me. I’ve been using ICE for the last 3 months and can’t wait to get back to Terry (that’s what the wife named the car) but I do wonder if I should update or not. It was showing an update as available last time I looked. 🤔

Decisions decisions

I last saw and drove my car in late Aug / early Sept ish and reading threads like this make me wonder whether to update to the newest software.

I utterly hated whatever I had on collection in Dec 21 and nearly returned it as unfit and unsafe to use. A subsequent update fixed that.

Since then, I’ve had very few issues and think 26.9 (which it’s still on) was probably the best it’s been all round. I primarily drive on EAP (as my commute is national speed roads) so defo don’t want it slamming on when trying to pass vehicles on my long commute as it will annoy me. I’ve been using ICE for the last 3 months and can’t wait to get back to Terry (that’s what the wife named the car) but I do wonder if I should update or not. It was showing an update as available last time I looked. 🤔

Decisions decisions
If it helps, these issue aren't universal. My mid 2022 LR doesn't have this issue that others are reporting with any of the recent builds. Tell I lie I had some unexpected breaking once on the M4, but I just pushed the accelerator.

My only conclusion is that somehow different cars/roads/etc make a difference.

In general, I've never experienced much of any of the issues reported in this forum with EAP. I don't dispute that others do.

I drove 2023.38.6 on my Model S today and experienced very poor recognition of the gantry reduced speed limits on the M1. It was late morning, with some spray and drizzle but not terrible conditions by any means.

I’d estimate it didn’t adjust for about 3 out of 4 of the 60mph signs. ☹️

And auto wipers were stubbornly refusing to trigger - but perhaps it was just the wrong amount of rain

On the plus side, only one minor phantom braking event and I think autopilot was a bit smoother in dealing with stop/go traffic than whenever I last tried.

I drove 2023.38.6 on my Model S today and experienced very poor recognition of the gantry reduced speed limits on the M1. It was late morning, with some spray and drizzle but not terrible conditions by any means.

I’d estimate it didn’t adjust for about 3 out of 4 of the 60mph signs. ☹️

And auto wipers were stubbornly refusing to trigger - but perhaps it was just the wrong amount of rain

On the plus side, only one minor phantom braking event and I think autopilot was a bit smoother in dealing with stop/go traffic than whenever I last tried.
M25 today it read the gantry's at least 50% of the time, however as there are roadwork with their own speed limits it was all a bit complex the rest of the way. I wouldn't say it seemed any more or less accurate than normal.

How many people have actually been rear ended? I know the worry is there, but have there been any cases where this has happened due to phantom braking?

It could be a trigger for "compressions" in the traffic flow. I.e. a Tesla phantom brakes, car behind brakes a bit more, car behind that panics and brakes even more. Someone not paying attention then hits the car 3 behind the Tesla which has since continued on oblivious.

It could be a trigger for "compressions" in the traffic flow. I.e. a Tesla phantom brakes, car behind brakes a bit more, car behind that panics and brakes even more. Someone not paying attention then hits the car 3 behind the Tesla which has since continued on oblivious.
So how often has that been recorded?

I get the theoretical (and butt clenching) impact of these phantom brakes, but examples of real world incidents seem awfully light on a forum where people complain almost daily of phantom braking.

Perhaps, and it's just a hypothesis, the car doesn't phantom brake if there is another vehicle close to the rear. ISTR there was talk a long time ago of Tesla's monitoring what was behind the car to avoid (or lessen) rear impacts. Otherwise, I'm stumped as to why there are so few rear end impacts reported.