Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just watched Chucks first full stack drive - hallelujah! He has a car with USS and, as expected, USS functionality and auto park still looks to be there. Will be interesting to see if any non USS cars have it.

Thought it looked pretty good. TBH a significant amount of what he showed we could have right now. I see no reason why a UK single stack release would not function significantly as per his first drive which, as expected, concentrated very much on what was previously the domain of highways.

I agree. I wish there was an easier way to confirm anything that required confirmation (I believe that’s basically anytime the car wants to leave it’s current lane), a button on the steering wheel would be better than the indicator, a request pop up saying ‘lane change ok?’ or ‘exit ok?’ and a silent button press acknowledgment. I’m no regulation expert but I’d hope that was sufficient while still being safe.

I had a 2020 M3P and just recently replaced with a 2023 version and suddenly I do not have front or rear parking sensors which is absolutely ridiculous for a £60k car. Does anyone know the latest on rollout of the alternative feature?

Two answers, we don't know when but its thought to be linked to the single stack thing thats happening in limited numbers in the US at the moment, although that in itself doesnt appeart to be delivering the new functionality, it's just a stepping stone towards it.

The second question is how good it will actually be in its first incarnation based on automatic wipers, automatic headlights and the like.

The official line is "...soon".

Reactions: CWT3LR
I had a 2020 M3P and just recently replaced with a 2023 version and suddenly I do not have front or rear parking sensors which is absolutely ridiculous for a £60k car. Does anyone know the latest on rollout of the alternative feature?

You clearly haven't been following the forum recently if this came as a surprise! There are numbers of people spending their entire lives on discussing this issue. This thread alone currently has 115 pages of speculation... and that's all it is, speculation. Nobody actually knows anything.

I can't see that being released outside of the US and Canada any time soon

Single stack is meant to bring parity with what we have at present (well a few months back) by using the same object detection and perception as used with FSD city streets beta. I agree, it will not bring FSD city streets functionality to UK any time soon whether or not you have FSD (city streets is a FSD feature), but I think single stack should bring improvements to NoA (for EAP or FSD) due to better planning and, as a result of merging the latest and greatest object detection and perception from FSD beta, should bring performance, but not functional benefits to regular Autopilot et al.

However, I have had this optimism in the past and its often been quickly realised as a false dawn. As I have said several times before, Tesla have no excuses this time, or words to that effect and based upon past experience, I wouldn't bet against your PoV.

You clearly haven't been following the forum recently if this came as a surprise! There are numbers of people spending their entire lives on discussing this issue. This thread alone currently has 115 pages of speculation... and that's all it is, speculation. Nobody actually knows anything.
We know USS have been removed….

• Funny
Reactions: Adopado and CWT3LR
Single stack is meant to bring parity with what we have at present (well a few months back) by using the same object detection and perception as used with FSD city streets beta. I agree, it will not bring FSD city streets functionality to UK any time soon whether or not you have FSD (city streets is a FSD feature), but I think single stack should bring improvements to NoA (for EAP or FSD) due to better planning and, as a result of merging the latest and greatest object detection and perception from FSD beta, should bring performance, but not functional benefits to regular Autopilot et al.

However, I have had this optimism in the past and its often been quickly realised as a false dawn. As I have said several times before, Tesla have no excuses this time, or words to that effect and based upon past experience, I wouldn't bet against your PoV.
I guess it's as accurate as a coin flip. Either they roll out single stack everywhere after *months*? of US public FSD beta. Or they will leave Europe/Rest of the World in limbo on the 5y+ old stack that we have been using, and will only roll out single stack when UNECE regs will be updated. So never...

Would it make sense for them to just port code snippets of the USS>Vision replacement functionality from single stack to the legacy stack for Europe? Or should we hope that the necessity for them to roll out park assist features to EU customers will bring single stack to European customers swiftly, that is the question...

and will only roll out single stack when UNECE regs will be updated. So never...

Why would UNECE regs prevent single stack roll out? Single stack is simply an enabler for 'latest and greatest' functionality. It is not that functionality per se - thats what differentiates regular autopilot, EAP, FSD and FSD city streets. There is a lot in single stack that could benefit everyone (such as reinstating functionality lost with removal of USS), but its not going to bring everyone NoA etc or city streets.

Reactions: GeorgeSymonds
Why would UNECE regs prevent single stack roll out? Single stack is simply an enabler for 'latest and greatest' functionality. It is not that functionality per se - thats what differentiates regular autopilot, EAP, FSD and FSD city streets. There is a lot in single stack that should benefit everyone, but its not going to bring everyone NoA etc or city streets.
You are right, but why do you think single stack has only been deployed for FSD beta then?
I don't believe Elon has announced any roll out of single stack outside users enrolled in FSDb at the moment?
Therefore if they are developing Vision park assist within single stack, it might take a while (years?) before non-FSD users, or even non-US users see it?

You are right, but why do you think single stack has only been deployed for FSD beta then?

Because it had only been rolled out, as far as I can see, to those Tesla employees or a limited number of those that have been testing FSD beta. That does not make it FSD beta only - its still being tested, albeit in a wider/more public stage, and those on FSD beta are probably seen as good test candidates/influencers. In fact, single stack is about 'not FSD city streets beta', ie its mostly about regular highways, as in what everyone else has. Its still early days wrt general availability.

I don't believe Elon has announced any roll out of single stack outside users enrolled in FSDb at the moment?
Therefore if they are developing Vision park assist within single stack, it might take a while (years?) before non-FSD users, or even non-US users see it?
I could envisage Elon deciding that they will no longer offer vanilla TACC / lane assist or EAP in the US, and force everyone to pay the 15 grand to use FSD. Sort of like an abandoned operating system - you can still use it if you have it, but you need to pay to upgrade (from Win3.1 to Win 95).

I think single stack will be in all our cars within 6 months - what we won't have is some of the functions the US have,

They will want to move anybody onto the same code base, they need to start the learning in Europe and they'll need the code to enable that, they have to fix the USS issue and that will come from the whole modelling of the surrounding area etc. which city streets is giving them

All the UNECE regs will do is limit which driving features are enabled, much like EAP and FSD has different features