Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What’s the time limit on bringing a claim though, if they don’t? Consumer Credit Act is only 6 years, I think, assuming it would apply. I could easily see it being another 3 years before we get a sniff of FSD beta over here, not least because of the UNECE regs.
Yes, it is 6 years - however, that's from when you discover the issue - and we won't discover that until Tesla disable the USS and camera light bleed affects the ability of the camera data to be analysed and acted upon. A human will check mirrors, perhaps a swivel of the head to check the blind spot before changing lane, we may even look at the camera view too on screen -, but, Imagine the indicator on and the car fails to see a car in the blind spot - and the car makes the lane change, or maybe the car wouldn't change lane at all because of a lack of clear data - either way my FSD isn't working properly because of a known build issue with the fitted cameras.

I do appreciate the image the computer sees is totally different from the view we as humans see and I sincerely hope Tesla Vision is brilliant and takes over from USS seamlessly - so no issue. My doubts are there simply because of all the other camera/data issues like auto main beam and wipers and the cars' ability to just quit from autopilot when the going gets tough.

Agree with all but last sentence. Apple is renowned for doing just that and is far from surely dying. Remember how “courageous” they were when the headphone jack was removed? How you no longer get a charging wart with new iPhones? How TouchID became FaceID with no going back? There were failures as well to be fair. One of the biggies was the touch bar on laptops. “Gee, I love and constantly use my TouchBar,” said no one ever, and Apple finally got over it. Similarly the squatty scissor key structure.

I think I might be one of the only people on earth who loves my Touch Bar. Lol

-, but, Imagine the indicator on and the car fails to see a car in the blind spot - and the car makes the lane change, or maybe the car wouldn't change lane at all because of a lack of clear data - either way my FSD isn't working properly because of a known build issue with the fitted cameras.
If referring to the current level of 'FSD' - well that's just a case of beta software and if it becomes less useful than before it's a case of 'tough'. All sorts of features get changed and disabled and folk moan and put up with it. If you mean genuine autonomous driving, then I'd guess your car will be scrapped long before that becomes trustworthy. Meanwhile, Tesla have saved pennies per car.

I was initially sceptical of the plan to remove USS, then I experimented to find out just how useful (or not) they were.
Whilst backing out of a parking spot which had beer barrels behind the car I noted that the USS did not seem to detect them!
Ordinarily I would take little notice of the USS noises just using them to park close i.e. down to (say) 24".
When this discussion started people pointed out that the USS gave a false sense of security as they don't detect metal poles, I hadn't realised this extended to 15" beer barrels.
Looks like Elon is ahead of the game, again.
I can imagine that in the slow-moving process of parking, the camera system would have more than adequate ability to process and predict better than the USS, even when the objects fall out of the front camera's field of vision it should be able to accurately calculate how far it is 'safe' to roll forward as its wheels turn. I assume someone smarter than me has already pointed this out in this long thread?

• Funny
Reactions: pow216 and CWT3LR
I was initially sceptical of the plan to remove USS, then I experimented to find out just how useful (or not) they were.
Whilst backing out of a parking spot which had beer barrels behind the car I noted that the USS did not seem to detect them!
Ordinarily I would take little notice of the USS noises just using them to park close i.e. down to (say) 24".
When this discussion started people pointed out that the USS gave a false sense of security as they don't detect metal poles, I hadn't realised this extended to 15" beer barrels.
Looks like Elon is ahead of the game, again.
I can imagine that in the slow-moving process of parking, the camera system would have more than adequate ability to process and predict better than the USS, even when the objects fall out of the front camera's field of vision it should be able to accurately calculate how far it is 'safe' to roll forward as its wheels turn. I assume someone smarter than me has already pointed this out in this long thread?
I can’t tell if you’re serious. Auto lights and wipers don’t even work. I agree Elon is ahead of the game…. In reducing cost. Regardless of the customer experience.

Autopilot/EAP impressions on 36.2:

I haven't noticed any major differences, but the car felt marginally more confident around bends. That may have just been random, but the removal of USS might surely help with bends because the car can see where it is going - and ignore the USS screaming about obstacles where the car was going to go a moment before. I don't know.

Car seems to more accurate in following distance now - 2 really does feel like 2, 3 really feels like 3 etc. This is great. 3 or 4 feels like the optimal following distance driving at 50 mph on a busy motorway - any more and you'll have people tailgating behind you or undertaking and then cutting in ahead of you. I'm pretty sure my experience at 3 or 4 on older versions was completely all over the place, sometimes too close, other times much too far.

EAP seems to be a bit quicker on identifying lane changes, but it is still much, much too slow on merging back into left lanes after an overtake (I still get angry tailgaters behind me wondering why I'm hogging the right lane when the left lane is free), and much too hesitant at coming out into the right lane to do an overtake if there's other traffic in it (Mad Max mode seems to do nothing).

The auto full beam on Autopilot is outrageous and is surely breaching European regulations at this point. I've had the car put on its full beams while driving at night down a well lit suburban street with cars driving towards me on the other side of the road. I've also seen the car quite happily put its full beams on in order to blind approaching cyclists. I'm mightily peeved that Tesla decided to make this no longer controlled by a setting.

Auto wipers are similarly dangerous. I've had a windscreen full of torrential rain with the wipers just refusing to come on, on multiple occasions the last few years. The last time it happened I even left it for a few seconds (utterly terrified), just to see when it would come on. When it didn't I had to manually do a wipe and breathed a big sigh of relief I hadn't crashed into something.

Last edited:
Autopilot/EAP impressions on 36.2:

I haven't noticed any major differences, but the car felt marginally more confident around bends. That may have just been random, but the removal of USS might surely help with bends because the car can see where it is going - and ignore the USS screaming about obstacles where the car was going to go a moment before. I don't know.

Car seems to more accurate in following distance now - 2 really does feel like 2, 3 really feels like 3 etc. This is great. 3 or 4 feels like the optimal following distance driving at 50 mph on a busy motorway - any more and you'll have people tailgating behind you or undertaking and then cutting in ahead of you. I'm pretty sure my experience at 3 or 4 on older versions was completely all over the place, sometimes too close, other times much too far.

EAP seems to be a bit quicker on identifying lane changes, but it is still much, much too slow on merging back into left lanes after an overtake (I still get angry tailgaters behind me wondering why I'm hogging the right lane when the left lane is free), and much too hesitant at coming out into the right lane to do an overtake if there's other traffic in it (Mad Max mode seems to do nothing).

The auto full beam on Autopilot is outrageous and is surely breaching European regulations at this point. I've had the car put on its full beams while driving at night down a well lit suburban street with cars driving towards me on the other side of the road. I've also seen the car quite happily put its full beams on in order to blind approaching cyclists. I'm mightily peeved that Tesla decided to make this no longer controlled by a setting.

Auto wipers are similarly dangerous. I've had a windscreen full of torrential rain with the wipers just refusing to come on, on multiple occasions the last few years. The last time it happened I even left it for a few seconds (utterly terrified), just to see when it would come on. When it didn't I had to manually do a wipe and breathed a big sigh of relief I hadn't crashed into something.
Agree auto full beam can’t be within any regulations here. Simply not fit for purpose.

I’ve just driven for Manchester to Stafford in the dry unable to use TACC as the auto wipers were triggered every time I tried. I looked like my year 3 teacher in her Vauxhall Viva, with her wipers on and dress caught in the door every time she drove out of school.
Of course the dress was my fault.

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve
I’ve just driven for Manchester to Stafford in the dry unable to use TACC as the auto wipers were triggered every time I tried. I looked like my year 3 teacher in her Vauxhall Viva, with her wipers on and dress caught in the door every time she drove out of school.
Of course the dress was my fault.
So mine started doing this after the last software update. Was never a problem before.