Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Energy efficiency including minimal conversion losses when charging.
How does that compare to others? do you have an actual figures to compare?
  • Among the best for rated & usable range.
True
  • Walk-up open->PIN->drive simplicity including ring as key if needed, walk away lock.
Other manufacturers have it as well... well pin to drive is annoying so I have it off.
  • Plenty of storage including a usable Frunk.
Others can have even more storage. Frunk is used to store stuff which I touch once a quarter...
  • Uninterrupted panoramic roof (Model Y).
positive and negative. car warms up much more vs regular roof, for example.
  • Software updates without visiting a dealer.
others do it without visit to dealer as well, so nothing new here.
  • Sentry mode is occasionally useful.

Personal preference:
  • Minimalism of no buttons or switches & have no issue with using a single centre screen.
  • I also enjoy driving a Tesla with performance when needed, ie overtaking.

• Love
Reactions: Boza and CWT3LR
How does that compare to others? do you have an actual figures to compare?

True

Other manufacturers have it as well... well pin to drive is annoying so I have it off.

Others can have even more storage. Frunk is used to store stuff which I touch once a quarter...

positive and negative. car warms up much more vs regular roof, for example.

others do it without visit to dealer as well, so nothing new here.
Take it easy man...is your lease due for renewal shortly or are you just having aa bad day?

Ordered my Tesla Y long range dual motor with Enhanced autopilot and FSD in Sep 22, In November was advised that vehicles without USS would be delivered with Park, Park Assist, Summons and Special Summons inactive for a short period of time. I was concerned and contacted Tesla to cancel the order but was assured that it was only for a short period of time and would be reinstated in the New Year via a software update, fortunately I followed up and had it confirmed in writing.

I contacted Tesla a few weeks ago and received this reply, I will give it a little longer before taking legal advice.

Our team don’t have an exact date on when we can expect Tesla Vision to be available. As formerly stated, we are working promptly to develop software. You can expect this feature to be available via an over-the-air software update.

Rest assured your vehicle will notify you as soon as the update is available to download. If you would like to keep informed through other means, feel free to subscribe to our newsletter. If you are not already subscribed to the distribution list, you may do so here - Get Updates.

Thanks again for your patience and understanding. Please accept our apologies for any inconveniences the current delays may be causing.

The Customer Resolutions team remains available to you for any further feedback or questions.

Why on earth would Tesla remove USS sensors without knowingly having a working alternative, are they taking customers for mugs?

Ordered my Tesla Y long range dual motor with Enhanced autopilot and FSD in Sep 22, In November was advised that vehicles without USS would be delivered with Park, Park Assist, Summons and Special Summons inactive for a short period of time. I was concerned and contacted Tesla to cancel the order but was assured that it was only for a short period of time and would be reinstated in the New Year via a software update, fortunately I followed up and had it confirmed in writing.

I contacted Tesla a few weeks ago and received this reply, I will give it a little longer before taking legal advice.

Our team don’t have an exact date on when we can expect Tesla Vision to be available. As formerly stated, we are working promptly to develop software. You can expect this feature to be available via an over-the-air software update.

Rest assured your vehicle will notify you as soon as the update is available to download. If you would like to keep informed through other means, feel free to subscribe to our newsletter. If you are not already subscribed to the distribution list, you may do so here - Get Updates.

Thanks again for your patience and understanding. Please accept our apologies for any inconveniences the current delays may be causing.

The Customer Resolutions team remains available to you for any further feedback or questions.

Why on earth would Tesla remove USS sensors without knowingly having a working alternative, are they taking customers for mugs?
There is a glimmer of hope with an update just rolling out to Tesla staff cars in the US that the update may be coming soon but I’d rate it no more than a single flicker of light at the end of the channel tunnel. If that doesn’t materialise then I’d be taking action if I was you. You’re still within your rights to reject the car if you wanted to go down that route as the nuclear option.

Reactions: Zedbox and CWT3LR
I get the whole USS thing, but why did you buy FSD?

From previous posts he seems to have been under the impression that autopark and the summons were part of FSD and that's what he wanted. I tried to clarify for him with the hope of maybe clearing up a mistake while he might still have an opportunity to get a refund on at least FSD, but he didn't respond. It almost look like he's been taken advantage of to the tune of £3400!

With an EDD in the coming weeks, I find I'm still in the dark about the USS/TV situation and as a result, undecided as to whether I'll go ahead with the collection.

Having ordered the Y in October 22, I had hoped Tesla Vision would have be released by now and reviews available to determine if it was an acceptable replacement for the missing USS.

On the plus side, the recent price cuts and the assumption TV will eventually arrive and will (hopefully) improve on the current implementation make me think it's a minor and temporary inconvenience.

On the down side, rumours of HW4 and radar being on the horizon (for S & X initially, 3 & Y possibly much later), heated cameras and design changes (HD cameras, new locations) and with no prospect of retrofit means the non-USS Tesla's in this production run are potentially at a major disadvantage.

I'm trying to assess this information (plus anything relevant I've neglected to include here) in a clear, logical and non-emotional way yet can't seem to reach a decision.

Am I over thinking this and should go ahead with collection or are we being taken for a ride so to speak. Thoughts and suggestions welcomed!

Reactions: CWT3LR
My assumption, or wishful thinking, being a Q3 delivery with USS :
The -20% discount that Tesla did at the beginning of the year is to liquidate the stock of all HW3 non-USS cars. Then, when HW4 with HDRadar will officially be released and will equip all new inventory, they will rise prices again.
No complaints from the crowd that got a good deal on a HW3 car just before release then. Just like Apple offering discounts on the soon-to-be obsolete iPhone model every year at the end of August...
Guys who got deliveries in Q4 22 got the sh*ttier end of the stick though...

I accept that with the recent price reductions and the the fact there will always be changes coming down the road, it is a personal decision and one that likely depends on whether we are prepared to live with the car as it is with potential for TV to perform on a level with USS or regret the decision. That is the dilemma.

I very much doubt if they will go back to USS, imagine the backlash from customers
Like myself who have just taken deliver with no USS with the promise of TV and then only to deliver cars with USS. They would have to do something else or provide TV. It would isolate this batch of cars making them much much less desirable or they disable USS on equipped.

Reactions: CDB_
Instead of reversing the USS decision, it is more likely that they will do something with TV and declare a victory, no matter how inadequate that would be (similarly to what they did with auto wipers and radar). Also, it either happens very quickly or takes a long, long time. Unfortunately, USS seems to be in the latter category. I would be surprised if they release anything meaningful in the next six months, at least. The cars are selling anyway…
Make sure you are comfortable with the car as is and do not factor any future promises in your decision. As the God himself said under oath “If I say something on Twitter it does not mean that people believe it”. He turned out to be correct.

Instead of reversing the USS decision, it is more likely that they will do something with TV and declare a victory, no matter how inadequate that would be (similarly to what they did with auto wipers and radar). Also, it either happens very quickly or takes a long, long time. Unfortunately, USS seems to be in the latter category. I would be surprised if they release anything meaningful in the next six months, at least. The cars are selling anyway…
Make sure you are comfortable with the car as is and do not factor any future promises in your decision. As the God himself said under oath “If I say something on Twitter it does not mean that people believe it”. He turned out to be correct.
I think they will declare victory for Tesla Vision on HW4 equipped cars.
I can imagine that with binocular cameras in headlamps, each having a wider field of view, better resolution, same on the repeaters and on the back, they can finally achieve a decent job.
So they will most certainly bullishlt their way through, by saying a HW4 TV Autopark is better / quicker / whatever than USS. (insert nice demo here during March keynote)
But people who got stuck with HW3 and no USS will still have a piss poor experience but no one will talk about that, because everyone will be focused on HW4 models then...

As always, Elon rushed on the USS removal decision, HW was not ready, or maybe even engineers had to find a way to make it work after the fact, which implied this camera repositioning, and here we are...

Reactions: Boza and CWT3LR