Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Impossible to know how many tests were left on the cutting room floor. You've decided to take a negative reading, assuming more positive outcomes were discarded, with the results contrived to push a narrative. I'm assuming otherwise. No argument can be resolved if either of us propose unproveable aspects and unknowable bias.

My position is based on what was published, which - in my belief - was done in good faith, even if he does ultimately derive a financial benefit from clicks. He was just first to wrap it all up in a professional package, so good luck to him if he benefits from monetisation.

I would concede your point that he probably did rush this video to maximise exposure, rather than being rigorously scientific with having the USS car do exactly the same tests in exactly the same fashion. That being said - the test failures were self-evident. On the flip side - he did demo that the USS car couldn't see the flat box at all, demonstrating that it isn't infallible either.

You do also make a fair point about the cars jumping around.. I get that in traffic occasionally, it's certainly nothing to do with USS (or lack thereof).
I wouldn’t go to that extent to say it was done in good faith!

I have linked the other video you can see how they make it sound scientific only to push a narrative.

Did you not hear the bong, bong noise independent of the visual representation? Anyhow, I shouldn’t have asked you this at all.
I've watched the first video with the sound on... I still don't get what it's meant to be proving.

Second video, it would have been good to show what was causing it to say stop. The visuals on the screen suggests it was on the opposite side to the one you showed.

As with most things in life and most discussions, it is rarely just black and white.

Anyone who has followed my posts since 2020 will see a recurring thread of cynicism and that will almost certainly be a permanent attitude towards Tesla - I do not like the company - At All.

The Tesla implementation of both USS and vision park assist is poor in my opinion and inferior to other cars I have driven. That view is unlikely to change.

However after several days of using Tesla Vision I am seeing a mixture of negatives and plusses.
  • It is cautious and erratic with measurements but generally prompts STOP at what it believes to be 12". Most times the actual distance is more than this.
  • It completely misses some objects (for no apparent reason as they are in the camera view) and for others it places the red line on screen as if touching the car - but they aren't.
  • White-yellow-red lines often dance randomly beside or around the car with an associated soundtrack via the speakers. Distracting.
  • I have to keep the rear camera clean which should be unnecessary. See below*
  • I consider myself very capable when 'estimating' where the front peripherals are but in one extremely tight spot I asked the passenger to get out and assist because the yellow-to-red line was already permanent both at the front and rear. I've not had to do that for many years.

• Nevertheless, kerb recognition is useful and helpful. It seems pretty accurate.
  • Most of the time TV seems to prompt stop where it would already be perfectly safe to do so & I can continue with 'awareness-experience' for final placement. That's OK and similar to how I used USS on the Model 3.
  • Yellow-red lines are useful in causing me to pay particular attention as I approach obstructions. I don't really trust them though.
  • *By wiping the rear lens with Clarity hydrophobic cleaner (several weeks ago) this does repel water and dirt well and as a further experiment, two of my Daughters friends in the USA have purchased and use the Abstract Ocean Hydrophobic rear camera cover with positive impressions. She has one for me to try on a non-USS Model 3 when I am there in a few weeks (it does rain in Idaho!)
  • And finally, here is an example this morning where the cameras perfectly recognised the yellow bin behind the nearside corner. Even the distance was reasonably accurate when I got out to look.
IMG_5345.JPG

So, I may continue to post both negative and (cautiously) positive experiences with Park Assist as I refuse to be drawn into the 100% bad-good brigade for anything relating to a Tesla car. Some things are fabulous, others are literally appalling - accepting that with Tesla something that seems OK will randomly fail so it's best to remain cautious ('permanent beta' for everything).

At the moment my overall experience with this remains 'better than I expected' but that was already from a pretty low base so probably not much for
the 'fans' among us to hang on to.

Last edited:
View attachment 924409

It definitely does list Front and Rear Parking Sensors in the spec. In the advert title it also lists Heat Pump, which to many people would come across as an unusually specific thing to list in the main heading - but we all know why it's there.
Richard Symons, puts himself up as a knowledgable chap , but he's first and foremost a car dealer and his listings are full of cut and paste errors. He's never had the number of speakers correct on a MY as a fairly trivial example, he did a whole video comparing two cars he thouight had different batteries sizes, they were the same, but significantly he didn't think to correct the incorrect spec on his website. I know quite a few find his videos informative, personally I find they can often be misleading but then I guess I'm just backing my own knowledge over his. I guess 70% correct, 20% entertainment, 10% misleading or his conclusions I wouildn't share.

Back on USS and TV. from the videos I've seen there are a couple of notable recurring themes with the TV parking sensors

- any camera obscured issue seems to result in a "Unavailable" message
- possibly related, it doesn't seem to work either well or at all in the dark or wet
- it takes what feels like an eternity to start up
- it also misses stuff like posts, but on the flip side it sees curbs - so good and bad.

I don't trust USS when nudging towards a low curb, it's not perfect, but there is a sense of we know the limitations with USS and so compensate accordingly, whereas nobody really knows what the limitations or foibles are with TV, and I suspect they've less predicatable.

Whatever, Tesla haven't felt confident to turn on auto parking, summon or smart summon using TV yet, so presumably their waiting to see what happens. While I imagine that might be frustrating for some, it's sensible.

I've watched the first video with the sound on... I still don't get what it's meant to be proving.

Second video, it would have been good to show what was causing it to say stop. The visuals on the screen suggests it was on the opposite side to the one you showed.
My description gives some idea - the only bit I mentioned wrongly in the second video was as saying right instead of left - it was a bush that was causing it to stop.

The first video shows the discrepancy in USS bongs when it was so far away from obstruction.

@GeorgeSymonds - I think you have moved only one page of this post to the other one!

Mod: Thanks, moved the rest.

Last edited by a moderator:
- any camera obscured issue seems to result in a "Unavailable" message Yes that has happened a few times and seems to reset within seconds. Having driven this car for over 3000 miles without Park Assist it's quite nice going back to silence without the sound effects.
- possibly related, it doesn't seem to work either well or at all in the dark or wet I haven't noticed much difference to daylight or dry so far, it's either OK-ish or bad and in very much equal measure. Overall it's 'mostly adequate' but not something to be relied on.
- it takes what feels like an eternity to start up I have read about that but after using the car several times most days since last Tuesday it has always activated straight away for me.

Mine did well detecting the lamp post in the photo below, the measurements are way off though, when it says 12" and STOP there's usually a good 20" of space left. I'm not expecting pinpoint precision but surely it can do better than an 8"+ margin.
20230404_173657.jpg

There's a noticable lag when cars pull away in front of me too, it will ping and tell me to stop when pulling off as though the car is still there.

Hopefully things improve in future updates.

Reactions: H43lio
Mine did well detecting the lamp post in the photo below, the measurements are way off though, when it says 12" and STOP there's usually a good 20" of space left. I'm not expecting pinpoint precision but surely it can do better than an 8"+ margin.
View attachment 925177

There's a noticable lag when cars pull away in front of me too, it will ping and tell me to stop when pulling off as though the car is still there.

Hopefully things improve in future updates.
In reverse, doesn’t it say STOP sooner so that you still have space to open the tailgate?

It really depends on whether this turns out to be the beginning of a journey or the end. If this is the v1-it's-just-usable-to-the-level-where-we-can-share-it-with-you software, and we're going to get a series of updates and real-terms improvements I think it could turn out being very good. If this is the we've-been-working-on-this-for-a-year-and-this-is-the-best-we-can-manage final version then it's terrible, certainly not a like-for-like replacement for USS-based parking functionality and I hope Tesla get sued senseless.

Reactions: H43lio and CDB_
It really depends on whether this turns out to be the beginning of a journey or the end. If this is the v1-it's-just-usable-to-the-level-where-we-can-share-it-with-you software, and we're going to get a series of updates and real-terms improvements I think it could turn out being very good. If this is the we've-been-working-on-this-for-a-year-and-this-is-the-best-we-can-manage final version then it's terrible, certainly not a like-for-like replacement for USS-based parking functionality and I hope Tesla get sued senseless.
Fingers crossed it's the former. As it stands I don't really trust it and am hoping it gets updates quickly.