Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2013 vintage car has the "2 second" version hill hold feature that @4SUPER9 described for his '13... also delivered by later firmware update.

The newer version that also has the indicator on the dash was enabled with the newer Bosch electronic brake booster hardware that came on the auto pilot enabled cars.

Envy you from meeting Franz... would be amazed to meet him or Elon.
Thanks for sharing the news.
Very cool guy. Relaxed and totally approachable.
While I had the chance, I also asked him about replacing side-view mirrors with cameras, as originally shown on Model X prototypes, and how he intends to get that past NHTSB scrutiny. He is still very interesting in pursuing that and said he has prototypes for demonstration to prove it works, and believes this will eventually happen.

I gave you a “funny” for that one, and you are right. Don’t forget Apps. At the same time, I don’t think any of us here have ever owned a car that came WITHOUT: Hill hold, easy entry, driver’s side door unlock, new media player, remaining charge at destination, etc., etc, and had them added years after purchase.
Don't forget all the useful Easter Eggs that could have been spent fixing the bugs first. And no I didn't forget Apps as I mentioned it in another post further down.

I will try that again the next time I am stopped on an incline. I have never seen that "H" before. When did this occur? I do not ever recall seeing an update explaining this ability.
One thing to note if you are using creep, you have to hold down the brake pedal harder in order to use hill hold. At least that was the case when I last used creep. If you have creep turned off, gentle braking should turn it on. Although when I had a P85+ loaner, I don't recall there being a hill hold feature.

Relying solely on Internet connectivity for navigation would be a bad idea. Many people travel to areas where there is no cell service. Losing the ability to navigate in those areas would be frustrating. I doubt they will move to a server-based system.

Not to say that maps can't be downloaded, and certainly the areas where cell service is spotty is probably something Tesla has better data on than even AT&T. I'm sure something COULD be coded to anticipate losing connectivity and downloading maps for those areas, enough to get to the next area where they have service again.

Lord knows, they have had enough time to come up with a pretty good system...

FSD will need relatively up-to-date maps. I was driving yesterday near our house - the navigation system doesn't see a major street completed about 2 years ago and now has entire neighborhoods built out on either side of the street. If FSD was using those maps, the people in those homes - and those who drive along the streets in that area - would be out-of-luck, with the FSD software unable to drive to/from or near their houses.

Using server-based routing would ensure the most up-to-date data was used for calculating routes - which will be important for FSD, or even with EAP when highway ramps/intersections change. And by using a server for routing, it eliminates the need for Tesla to frequently distribute map updates to a rapidly growing number of cars.

Though, we will still need offline routing - so the nav software would still need the ability to use a local map database and calculate routes. The offline route may not be as good, and would miss recent road changes - but could be good enough to use until the server is accessible and the route could be recalculated by the server.

The current nav system is using the same philosophy as other car nav systems - a static map database, updated roughly annually, with map data covering huge areas (such as all of the US or North America). To support offline routing, we don't need that much map data - just enough data to do routing in a region (within 1000 miles?) - and that data could be updated more often - and if the update process is intelligent, it could just send the data that has changed (rather than doing a dumb update, downloading everything).

Clearly the current nav software won't work for FSD and there are reports Tesla is using the new nav (NAV 2.0) software in Model 3 - so it's very possible S/X could see this soon (9.0 release?).

So, I said, “Franz, I was driving back from Mammoth with a friend, and he asked me if I could drop him off in Pasadena before I returned to LA…” to which Franz interrupted me and exclaimed: “Waypoints! Yes! They are coming.” I thanked him profusely and congratulating him on helping to change the world.

Nice!! Welcome to the 90s.

It seem to me having some sort of offline caching system makes the most sense. Most people have connectivity most of the time.
So if the system can update maps when there is connectivity then when it is offline this is a non issue.

Certainly there has to be some kind of off line routing. Even where I live in a pretty built up area, there are lots of nearby patches where connectivity is really poor to non-existent. However, off line routing alone means that real time conditions such as temperature, wind, traffic, etc. can't be taken into account. Altitude changes should be off line, but I don't know if the stored maps have that data.

What would be great would be both. Off line routing would take a stab at the route, then, when connectivity became available, the servers would touch it up.

Another thing that would be nice would be for high resolution traffic conditions to be down loaded so zooming the display wouldn't require a traffic layer refresh.

Assuming Tesla shifts to server-based routing, they will have to provide at least basic routing using offline data.

With the current NAV (NAV 1.0), when you're offline, you can do routing, but you're limited to the data present in the offline database - which means - it's out of date - and you may not be able to do searches for named items or use voice commands.

With server-based routing, the server should have up-to-the-minute accurate road data - not only from data sources (like Google) but also from other Tesla cars that have recently been on the same roads. So even if there are recent road changes, the routing should be able to take advantage of the up-to-date data.

Offline routing will always have limitations - though once connectivity is re-established, the route can be recalculated using the server data.

It's possible Tesla will stay with onboard routing - and instead focus their resources on more efficiently updating all cars with the most up-to-date data.

On a day-to-day basis, a relatively small amount of map data is changed - especially if you limit the updates to a reasonable radius (500 to 1000 miles?) - so they'd only really need to push the small amount of map changes each day that affected the nearby area - and keep all of the cars up-to-date with local map data. That would be almost as good as having up-to-the-minute data in a server-based system - and eliminate the problem of using two routing packages on the server and locally.

Now, if we can just get Tesla to actually say something about what they are planning to do - and when - we could all stop guessing...

Having apps was promised years ago but that seemed to be rescinded in more recent years when Elon talked about screen mirroring from your phone. They seemed to have nixed third party apps for security reasons. I have had my Model S for just over three years and I don't think they have added any apps in that time - and arguably the media player has gotten worse.

Having apps was promised years ago but that seemed to be rescinded in more recent years when Elon talked about screen mirroring from your phone. They seemed to have nixed third party apps for security reasons. I have had my Model S for just over three years and I don't think they have added any apps in that time - and arguably the media player has gotten worse.
I am completely not surprised at all that Apps never came our way. It is probably too risky, given the possibility of a bug that could potentially render the entire center screen unusable. People want to see Waze, etc, that will likely never happen. I would have liked to see Tesla at least add some basic things, like perhaps a detailed trip analysis (like I had on cars from 10 years ago).

Anyhoo, this thread was to be about Waypoints. I so desperately want/need them. I simply do not see how an EV can function without them (yes, that's an exaggeration). The way Franz responded to me was so immediate, definiteive and enthusiastic, that I believe this will be sooner rather than later.

Reactions: MP3Mike