Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the dumbest thing your Tesla does?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree with comments about FSD being a catch-all dumb thing but, as a subset, two items are probably tied for dumbest choice by programmers:

1) Forcing the screen brightness up when AP (not just FSD anymore) is engaged - purportedly to provide light for the internal camera to confirm driver is paying attention but, with dark mode, only serves to reduce night vision.

2) Forcing the wipers on (auto or other) during AP (not just FSD anymore) which means the confused camera could be running wipers on a dry windshield dragging muck around to diminish visibility while the distracted driver tries in vain to shut it off only to discover it can’t be done without disabling almost (not TACC) all driver assist features.

Oh, and runner up, Sentry Mode flashing/recording when the person with the Bluetooth enabled key approaches from the front of the car.

Phantom braking is better (fewer incidents) than when I first bought the car, but it's still frequent enough that I want to hover over the accelerator pedal while TACC/Autosteer is active.

This is an unsafe practice, as you should hover over the brake instead while using any sort of cruise control..
Your signature indicates you have a 2022 Model 3, which I'm guessing does not have radar. Those of us with cars old enough to have radar know that phantom braking, although it happened sometimes, was less common before Tesla removed radar (or started ignoring it on older cars). This makes me feel less positive about it "getting better"; from my perspective, it's just getting closer to its original level of performance. This is one of many examples of Tesla designing hardware for future software capabilities, leaving drivers with sub-standard capabilities until the software is developed.

In no particular order:
  • asking me to apply a little turning force to the wheel to make sure I'm paying attention while allowing me to browse the internet using the built-in browser,
  • starting the A/C in manual mode when I set the temperature to "low". All I wanted was fresh, unconditioned air from the outside. Which part of "manual" is so hard to understand? If I want the A/C on I'll turn it on.
  • As others mentioned before, attempting to close the charge door with the adapter still plugged in when I remove a J1772 handle. Yes, there are easy workarounds which I use almost on a daily basis but why can't the electronics just accept that there is still an adapter and leave the door open until it's removed?
That's basically peanuts though. None of that is remotely bad enough to make me want to buy another car.

Phantom brake for shadows and oncoming traffic around corners on a two-lane road.
I used to get phantom braking at some regular spots on my daily commute, because obviously the time of day and the trees casting shadows aren't changing too much.

However, about a year ago, I stopped getting phantom braking, and instead got FCW, forward collision warnings, which don't slow the vehicle. Honestly, I can't really remember the last phantom braking I've gotten it's been so long.

Your signature indicates you have a 2022 Model 3, which I'm guessing does not have radar. Those of us with cars old enough to have radar know that phantom braking, although it happened sometimes, was less common before Tesla removed radar (or started ignoring it on older cars). This makes me feel less positive about it "getting better"; from my perspective, it's just getting closer to its original level of performance. This is one of many examples of Tesla designing hardware for future software capabilities, leaving drivers with sub-standard capabilities until the software is developed.
Correct - my 2022 does not have radar.

Prior to the existence of the Model 3, in late 2014 through early 2016, Tesla used a MobilEye-developed "AP1" which hardly ever phantom braked. Shame they ditched that for their current system.

Reactions: xAgyex
In no particular order:
  • asking me to apply a little turning force to the wheel to make sure I'm paying attention while allowing me to browse the internet using the built-in browser,
  • starting the A/C in manual mode when I set the temperature to "low". All I wanted was fresh, unconditioned air from the outside. Which part of "manual" is so hard to understand? If I want the A/C on I'll turn it on.
  • As others mentioned before, attempting to close the charge door with the adapter still plugged in when I remove a J1772 handle. Yes, there are easy workarounds which I use almost on a daily basis but why can't the electronics just accept that there is still an adapter and leave the door open until it's removed?
That's basically peanuts though. None of that is remotely bad enough to make me want to buy another car.
At the very least, the charge port door should retract if it senses something is in the way and return to open position automatically. But instead the door just gets stuck. That’s why I find that dumb.

But you can easily avoid this problem. I charge with the J1772 adapter at home, and the way to unhook it is, with the car unlocked or phone key connected, press and release the button on the handle, then remove it. The key is to release the button, otherwise you'll remove just the J1772 and leave the adapter in the port, which leads to the door closing on the adapter.
Yes! Took me a few days to figure this out after I got the car, but it works fine.

Navigating and supercharging has gotten very dumb lately. It used to have me stop at a supercharger with between 10%-20%, the battery charges faster and I'm out of there quicker.

Lately it's having me stop when my battery is 40% or more and there are PLENTY of superchargers along i95 and in the north east. So I drive right by and navigation instead of routing me to the next super charger 50 miles down the road, keeps trying to send me back to the one I passed for the next 10 miles until I manually end the trip the route myself to my destination then it picks the correct supercharger further along my route.

It wasn't this way before.

After reading some of the above comments I have to think that FSD in general must be one of the dumbest things Tesla does. Glad I didn't waste my money on it.
I have EAP (the rest if far from ready for prime time IMO). The NoAP is useless for me: lane choice and navigation decisions the car makes are poor. However, I do love the lane change and Summon features (which I use to park my car in and pull out of our smallish garage) - THOSE were worth the cost for me (though I did buy it on sale a couple of years ago).

Reactions: DocHolliday