Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
11.4.8 installed and then it immediately installed 11.4.8.1??? Is this the Holiday update? Or am I posting in the wrong thread?

2023.27.12 v11.4.8.1 The Good, Bad, and Ugly.
Good: The single tap to activate FSDb. I reckon this might be an improvement, if nothing else, I think it has reduced my workload by nearly 50%. I'm so trained to double tap, it's going to take a while to retrain me. But after the updates I have some questions.
I am not at all sure that I know how to get to:
MANUAL driving from any other mode
TACC from any other mode
NOAP from any other mode
FSDb from any other mode
Is that all the modes there are? And what actual features are included in each? And what actual features are not included in each? Are any of the various sounds, messages, flashing alerts, and verbal admonishments from the car a clue to which mode it is in?

Bad:
The dry wipes go merrily on. With wipers, OFF, Intermittent, or auto.
Still slamming on the breaks when it meets another vehicle on a two lane highway.
Still diving into short exit ramps for u-turns, then running into and over the median to look for the highway again.
Increased phantom breaking frequently for obscure unknown reasons.
Continues to make wide sweeping moves in the direction opposite the intended turn, frightening the passengers and other drivers.
When the NAV guidance voice announces an upcoming turn, it still immediately dives for the furthest lane in the other direction. But that's not all bad, because 80% of the time the guidance is opposite from reality, (as in, "in 500 feet your destination will be on the right." When in fact the destination will be on the left and there is a vacant lot with no driveway or other place to turn on the right.)
It continues to use the center of the highway for its lane as opposed to driving in the right hand of two lanes. I have to disengage for EVERY. FREAKING. SINGLE. CAR. I. MEET. (Except for when it automatically disengages, then asks me why and then flashes the red screen of death.)

Ugly:
As soon as I single tap, the message "FSD will be degraded due to poor weather detected", ALWAYS pops up. Day or night, sunny or cloudy, rain or shine. It doesn't snow here so I can't comment on snow.

The steering wheel nags are much more frequent and I didn't think they could be. Plus now the scroll wheels, both left or right won't satisfy the nags about 50% of the time, but sometimes they do, so it's always worth a try. And when the scroll wheels won't work, then manual torque also won't work until it is enough to disengage. So I disengage around every 10 seconds just for the nags.

The old problem is back, of a street parking area or someone who mowed their yard clear to the pavement, confuses it into apparently believing the lane suddenly became 50 feet wide and it should dive over into that area for a while. If there is someone behind me who decides to pass me on the left, (in the lane I should be in), and then the car figures out it made a mistake and tries to take back the lane it left that is now occupied, and swerves at that car, it unnerves everyone pretty badly. I don't think it would actually run into it, but there's another disengagement and this feature had been fixed previously.

Overall, it is significantly not as good as the previous version. A new thing was added, (single tap). But several old problems that had been fixed are back again. And several new problems have been added. I should have kept my Kia to drive until this thing matures into what I believe it will be and until then, just put the Tesla in the shed. Currently, driving it is risky business, as evidenced by my Tesla insurance increasing by 50%.
The wheel nag in my 3 occurs every 25 seconds. It occurs with my hands on the wheel, though not firmly. When I take it out of AP and remain on simply cruise, I use less force upon the wheel than I do holding it in AP. The solution would be to have the wheel sense hand contact, but I’m guessing a government body dictated otherwise. In any case I now most often forgo AP. (Don’t have FSD)

Reactions: gtae07
Hell yeah! Let's replace physical measurement that has mm-level accuracy with generative full-in-the-blanks ai. Sounds reasonable!

People have been clamoring for 360 camera views. The thing is, most 360 cams are very warped and don't actually provide a very accurate sense of distance. I think this visualization provides the same sort of usefulness as a 360 cam.

The solution would be to have the wheel sense hand contact, but I’m guessing a government body dictated otherwise. In any case I now most often forgo AP. (Don’t have FSD)

Actually it was the bean counters at Tesla that made that decision. Other car manufacturers are using sensors that detect when the driver is holding the wheel without requiring torquing the wheel.

Reactions: mtndrew1 and dcfas
I actually don’t really understand this whole argument, that has been raging for quite some time on these forums. I have logged a ridiculous amount of autopilot miles. It’s probably in the neighborhood of 80,000, if not 90,000. I don’t drive with my hands on the wheel, full disclosure. I have just become used to giving the wheel a tiny little tug at repeated, but semi-random intervals. About once every couple of months, I may get a forced disengagement because I didn’t respond fast enough. That’s on me, obviously. And there have been a few times, that I could probably count on one hand, where it seemed like it didn’t register my wheel tug, and I got a forced disengagement anyway. But those are very rare.

Overall I just don’t see a problem with the current system. I have my cabin camera covered, because I don’t trust anyone to be viewing me for the untold hours that I spend in my car. And I’m perfectly fine with the system that currently exists for making sure that I’m paying attention.

Just my $.02!

1702141193401.png

Reactions: Terminator857
I actually don’t really understand this whole argument, that has been raging for quite some time on these forums. I have logged a ridiculous amount of autopilot miles. It’s probably in the neighborhood of 80,000, if not 90,000. I don’t drive with my hands on the wheel, full disclosure. I have just become used to giving the wheel a tiny little tug at repeated, but semi-random intervals. About once every couple of months, I may get a forced disengagement because I didn’t respond fast enough. That’s on me, obviously. And there have been a few times, that I could probably count on one hand, where it seemed like it didn’t register my wheel tug, and I got a forced disengagement anyway. But those are very rare.

Overall I just don’t see a problem with the current system. I have my cabin camera covered, because I don’t trust anyone to be viewing me for the untold hours that I spend in my car. And I’m perfectly fine with the system that currently exists for making sure that I’m paying attention.

Just my $.02!
Are you using only AutoPilot and NOT FSDBeta?

There is a significant difference in how the two act as far as hands in the wheel / camera awareness goes.

I cancelled my FSD subscription about 5 months ago (still extremely happy I did that) and the difference in how steering wheel awareness and ability to look / use the screen and actually pick up your phone for example are HUGE.

I agree with your statement but that have the FSD Beta running see something very different.

based on history - a holiday update will be released with very little to get excited about... the stuff that used to work well will be broken and get fixed back to current status by May 2024
Things on mine that were broken in the July/August update still haven't been fixed. I'm starting to suspect that FSD is waaaaaaay more difficult than anyone thought and they are for sure further away from it now than they were last July. This could explain the increasing number of folks jumping ship or being fired for not solving the problem. {Personally, I would have fired some of them when fart noises, light shows, etc., etc., took priority over driving functions like dry wipes and safety.}

Personally, I would have fired some of them when fart noises, light shows, etc., etc., took priority over driving functions like dry wipes and safety.
You would have fired who? Some of the AP team because someone on the entertainment team was working on entertainment features? Or you would fire the entertainment staff because?

You would have fired who? Some of the AP team because someone on the entertainment team was working on entertainment features? Or you would fire the entertainment staff because?
I really don't think it would be fair to fire some of the AP team because the problem was more difficult to solve than was initially thought. However if some of the AP team aren't contributing to the solution, then sure, they should go. However if any members of the entertainment team are using resources, (like air, water, space, etc.), that could be used by people to work on stuff that needs fixing, then yes, they need to go.

Things on mine that were broken in the July/August update still haven't been fixed. I'm starting to suspect that FSD is waaaaaaay more difficult than anyone thought and they are for sure further away from it now than they were last July. This could explain the increasing number of folks jumping ship or being fired for not solving the problem. {Personally, I would have fired some of them when fart noises, light shows, etc., etc., took priority over driving functions like dry wipes and safety.}
That's like firing the window washers because the air conditioning keeps failing.

Reactions: Dewg

There is a significant difference in how the two act as far as hands in the wheel / camera awareness goes.

I cancelled my FSD subscription about 5 months ago (still extremely happy I did that) and the difference in how steering wheel awareness and ability to look / use the screen and actually pick up your phone for example are HUGE.

I agree with your statement but that have the FSD Beta running see something very different.
I'd add that different vehicles seem to "nag" differently. Big difference between my new X (infrequent) versus my wife's Y (more frequent, annoyingly so even though hands are on the wheel).

Reactions: JB47394

I only use AutoPilot, 99.5% of the time. I do have FSDb, but I rarely, if ever use it because 1) AutoPilot works great for me and 2) the FSDb nanny nags are way too intrusive. If you're going to use FSDb, it ultimately becomes far more stressful than regular driving and the whole reason I bought my M3 was to reduce stress on my body.

I do a ton of driving and it was to the point that I was unsure of how long I'd be able to sustain my current way of earning a living (which was scary as I have three kids who are getting close to college!) But now with Autopilot features, I can drive 1-2 hours and not feel like I was driving. I get out of the car feeling pretty good. Back when I had to clutch the wheel, and maintain feet on the pedals, 100% of the time, (or face imminent death,) I would arrive feeling like I just played football. AutoPilot has been a godsend for me.

FSDb does nothing for me in that regard. But when I bough the car it was "only" $6,000 and I thought, at the time, that it would be worth it. I do like the auto lane change feature and use it all the time, along with stopping at red lights. But the autosteer on city streets is simply useless to me right now, and will be until it gets significantly better.