Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.1 AutoPilot Nag

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With all this talk about a new timed nag, I decided to try it on my way home last night. Used Rt80 heading west away from NYC. Autopilot engaged at 6:20. First "hold wheel" message 6:45, second hold wheel message 6:50. Exited the highway at 6:55 and didn't see it again. Got on local roads and turned it off.

The second one was 5 minutes after the first. But the first was 25 minutes after I started it.

Anecdotal evidence at best, but it's what I saw last night.

Maybe you should hold the steering wheel then.
IMHO that truly, completely eliminates the benefit of the system: an opinion I feel very strongly about for the reasons below. If hands on the wheel were genuinely required (e.g. by nags after ten seconds of no torque as in the current Mercedes system) I would never engage AP again.

The reason is that with hands on the wheel I, or my muscle memory, wants to do the steering. Since my muscle memory steers the car slightly differently than AP steers the car (different placement in the lane or entry into curves) I find myself fighting AP, so that by having hands on the wheel I force it to disengage after a short while. Not a pleasant experience. And yet if I trained myself to be passive while my hands are on the wheel, the issues are 1) training my hands to be passive on the wheel reduces the muscle memory for driving and becomes potentially dangerous when AP is not on, and 2) it is pointless, since it eliminates the use of an even better autopilot (me) that is engaged as the result of having hands on the wheel.

Autopilot has the ability to relieve the handstrain and cramps caused by having hands in the same position on the wheel for long trips (such as the drive between Virginia and New Hampshire I sometimes make - in a gasoline car - to see relatives) but if I was holding the steering wheel that benefit is eliminated.

I'll try and take a couple of time lapse videos to post tonight BUT I have verified with a stop watch that at 75mph touching nothing to do with TACC A/P or speed it prompts to hold steering wheel every 3 minutes to the second

Not anecdotal at all. Fact!!

At this point, I believe the annoyance of the nagging is greater than the gimmicky "summon" features and I'm kicking myself for upgrading. I'm quite capable of being responsible in my $100,000+ car. I don't need to be nagged.

But, I don't blame Tesla. I'm a pragmatist and I recognize that the idiots out there left Tesla no choice. Like so many other things in society, the idiots have ruined it for everyone else.

I have verified with a stop watch that at 75mph touching nothing to do with TACC A/P or speed it prompts to hold steering wheel every 3 minutes to the second
Not anecdotal at all. Fact!!
And this post is also fact:
With all this talk about a new timed nag, I decided to try it on my way home last night. Used Rt80 heading west away from NYC. Autopilot engaged at 6:20. First "hold wheel" message 6:45, second hold wheel message 6:50. Exited the highway at 6:55 and didn't see it again. Got on local roads and turned it off.
The second one was 5 minutes after the first. But the first was 25 minutes after I started it.
Multiple people have reported no timed nag on 7.1 and multiple people have reported a timed nag.
Different people are having different experiences on different roads. I think that AP is more confident on some roads than others.

We know that Autopilot only works at 5 MPH over the speed limit on "restricted" roads. Is it possible the nag is based on the set speed over the posted speed limit, meaning more nagging occurs at 10-15 MPH over the limit versus +5 MPH or less?

I would guess that Tesla must had several internal debates before they decided to implement this nag. The lawyers could be saying that the disclaimer is not enough to protect Tesla, the AP needs to have a more proactive role in preventing misuse. This is not to say that it cannot be willfully defeated by a can of soda (as shown in youtube). The nag would probably stay until autonomous driving is implemented in the next few years (Elon's time).

This nagging might also be related to the pending regulatory approval in other countries.

I drove for 30 min @75mph this morning on the highway without touching a single thing. No Nag at all.... The road is pretty straight however, not alot of turns. I always got the nagging prior to 7.1 when there were alot of turns. The limiting option doesnt do a very good job either. I was on a 6 lane road with a clear divider and it was telling me the autopilot was limited. cars were honking and zooming past me because everyone drives 10MPH over the speed limit... So Autopilot is no longer useful on that stretch.

The summon feature is pretty lame in my opinion. I have a 1/2 lip on my garage and it wont climb over it. In addition it seems that the autopilot is less accurate in my residential roads than before.

I would also downgrade if I could.

I drove for 30 min @75mph this morning on the highway without touching a single thing. No Nag at all.... The road is pretty straight however, not alot of turns. I always got the nagging prior to 7.1 when there were alot of turns. The limiting option doesnt do a very good job either. I was on a 6 lane road with a clear divider and it was telling me the autopilot was limited. cars were honking and zooming past me because everyone drives 10MPH over the speed limit... So Autopilot is no longer useful on that stretch.

The summon feature is pretty lame in my opinion. I have a 1/2 lip on my garage and it wont climb over it. In addition it seems that the autopilot is less accurate in my residential roads than before.

I would also downgrade if I could.

Yes..I experienced AP at about 80 MPH the same as you and no nag as long as I was on the highway for about 20 miles. I don't understand this lip over the garage thing because I have a inch and it had no problems. One time however it wanted to back out of the garage and into the bushes at the side of the driveway. It did that once in about the 8 times I played with it.

Other than that 7.1 seems to be working good for me. I haven't given up on the idea that it will improve as it "learns" my driving habits. Like where the car was before I put it in the garage it should return it right back to. Something to be figured out which makes the car so fun.

I wonder why Tesla doesn't let us let our cars go back to the previous version after the upgrade. Legalities? I think Tesla vets any software changes and mitigates liability as much as can be done.

Can do it with almost everything else technological and if this is to be the tablet or cell phone of the automotive industry you'd think it would be customer choice. I can take a computer back to a previous OS. Why not the car?

I wonder why Tesla doesn't let us let our cars go back to the previous version after the upgrade. Legalities? I think Tesla vets any software changes and mitigates liability as much as can be done.

It is expensive to maintain multiple code branches. Nowadays the push is always forward. The apps on your phone are a good example. FWIW, the OS in the car probably is not changing much at all.

Can do it with almost everything else technological and if this is to be the tablet or cell phone of the automotive industry you'd think it would be customer choice. I can take a computer back to a previous OS. Why not the car?

I do think there are some things in the updates that address legal/regulatory issues as well as bug fixes. I'm sure that's part of the reason for not allowing rollbacks.

I would then say there is no need for "autopilot". The nags are not a technical requirement, it is just that the car has now been upgraded to full "lawyer" mode.
I suspect most people who are not aircraft pilots are not aware of the amount of monitoring, control and intervention is required with autopilots.

The 6.5 release of Autosteer did not alert enough, in my opinion, to deal with inattentive drivers and/or sudden changes in driving conditions. These 'nags' are ceetainly technical requirements if "Autosteer" is not equivalent to "Autonomous" which is certainly is not. There may have been legal involvement, but I regard the new alerts as well placed to deter complacency. I wish we could be assured that our fellow drivers would be attentive at all times. The number of texters, talkers, makeup appliers, readers and other such make me prefer more alerts.

I freely admit that my experience as a flight instructor doing jet type ratings influences my views. Otherwise capable people often forgot basic hand flying as they became overly reliant on advanced autopiots. In order to get some high time airline pilots to pass a type rating check ride for a Learjet I often had to give them basic 'stick and rudder' training. Our Tesla Autosteer is not the same, but the price of being lulled into inattention and complacency by our excellent technology is quite similar.

We should be thankful for the 'nags'. One day we'll have autonomous driving. Then it will be different.

Last edited by a moderator: