Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.1 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happy to endorse all of the above. Basically we want what the US have. Is there anything we have on our Tesla in Australia, which is superior to the US or is it all one-way? Spotify?
Spotify would be it as far as I know, and it's debatable whether that's superior to the US implementation (slacker), just different. And they're supposed to be getting Spotify at some point.

Yes - Telstra's bandwidth.

I agree with all of the above. Not allowed is a cop out. I had a BMW with television in the front dashboard. It would go black when you put the car in drive but you could listen. There is no reason you couldn't legally enable the browser when the vehicle is in park. As for bandwidth, every man and his dog has a mobile phone with data. How would every man and his Tesla with a browser make a difference?

@johninmelbourne : I haven't seen that latest update yet either, nor have I heard of too many people who have. Ray?
There are 9 cars list on Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App in Australia with 8.1. Seems a fair variety of models too, including one X.
Only a minority of owners submit to the site, so there's probably a hundred or so cars with 8.1 in Australia.
Most upgraded on 31/3, and a few on 4/4.

I think it's about bandwidth
Not sure if that will be it. Given the regulations only allow the browser to be used below I think 3kmh - basically stationary - how often would Tesla and/or Telstra expect people to be sitting in their stationary cars using a sub standard browser to do much? Doesn't seem like it would be a high usage case and hence little risk to them. Plus there's no real cost to Tesla for any additional bandwidth use, especially given the tiny percentage of mobile broadband use that Teslas would represent.

Reactions: BenT
Spotify Premium would use much more data playing songs for an hour than a slow web browser surfing text sites for an hour so not why Telstra would be worrried. They could easily limit it to 500mb of surfing a week or something if they are worried about data usage.