Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AP is definitely getting worse. It has now started slamming on the brakes every time I’m on the inside motorway lane and drive past the chevrons on the road as you pass an exit slip road.

I’ve had the car three and a half years and AP has been dangerous for the whole time.

AP is definitely getting worse. It has now started slamming on the brakes every time I’m on the inside motorway lane and drive past the chevrons on the road as you pass an exit slip road.
Discovered that lane 2 (where the hard shoulder is in use as all-lane-running) is not a good place to be because it assumes that every HGV to your left is going to merge in front of you and stamps on the brakes. Not an issue when cruising in lanes 3 or 4 though.

I’ve had the car three and a half years and AP has been dangerous for the whole time.
I've had mine for 2 years now and put 26000 miles on it in that time, of which 95% or more will have been with Autopilot engaged. While I do need to intervene manually from time to time (usually a prod of the accelerator or a manual lane change if the gap is too small), I can confidently say that it's increased the safety of my drive as opposed to the opposite.

• Helpful
Reactions: cliff harris
Hello UK, I’ve been in your country and experienced, personally driving, your round snouts. For a USA deiver, it was hard driving on the left, shifting with my left hand and roundabouts were crazy for me. At the roundabout, I’m pulling up on the left and supposed to travel clockwise to go around the to my destination on the right, my muscle memory says make a right and I cut across the front against traffi,c and he people in Birmingham thought I was crazy. My chicken scratch illustration:

1691158366850.png

Now with FSD, it follows the rules and keeps me safe, when I used it last night with a USA roundabout. With 11.3.6, strange that FSD stopped before entering the roundabout and there was no one currently in the circle. Hopefully 11.4 handles roundabouts better. I liked the stopping caution, but with no one there it was annoying.

Cheers

Hello UK, I’ve been in your country and experienced, personally driving, your round snouts. For a USA deiver, it was hard driving on the left, shifting with my left hand and roundabouts were crazy for me. At the roundabout, I’m pulling up on the left and supposed to travel clockwise to go around the to my destination on the right, my muscle memory says make a right and I cut across the front against traffi,c and he people in Birmingham thought I was crazy. My chicken scratch illustration:

View attachment 962173

Now with FSD, it follows the rules and keeps me safe, when I used it last night with a USA roundabout. With 11.3.6, strange that FSD stopped before entering the roundabout and there was no one currently in the circle. Hopefully 11.4 handles roundabouts better. I liked the stopping caution, but with no one there it was annoying.

Cheers
Sadly, if you drove in the U.K. using FSD, thé car wouldn’t have a clue what to do either!
FSD in the U.K. just works on one road at a time. It doesn’t make turns or navigate roundabouts. And, what is does do isn’t that sharp either!

I’m addicted to FSD
Desperately waiting for 11.4.x
Good demo of rhe latest outside of the Tesla insider access
And unlike the USA 99% of our roads don’t run NS/EW in straight lines with 4 way logical intersections.

Our roads bend, twist and turn. Complex roundabouts and parked cars all over the road side.

It’s impossible to compare Tesla USA autopilot with the very limited “thing” we have here. Tesla seem to throw all of their efforts at the USA and we pick up the scraps.

Summon haha, if you’re not within a meter (3ft) or so of your car it simply doesn’t work. That’s the biggest dead duck in the autopilot arsenal.

Reactions: ACarneiro
Is EAP really so much worse on the 3/Y? Just completed a 362 mile round trip Manchester to South Wales and back with zero AP issues (and with 5% battery remaining, no need for charging). Turned off Nav-on-autopilot, though. I‘d rather choose when to change lanes myself, without the nags. 2020 MS Plus Ludicrous.

Is EAP really so much worse on the 3/Y?

It was fine on my M3, and is fine on my MY - relative to both my previous and current MS

I read in threads here where people say "Its useless" and "I get phantom braking all the time" ... not been my experience (on any of the 6 Tesla cars which family members have owned). I very rarely get phantom braking and I can't remember an occasion when AP "stood on the brakes" (except when there was an unfolding crisis ...)

No idea what causes it to be useless on some, but my guess is setting choices, or calibration issues. No idea how to diagnose either of those, previous threads have tried to identify differences (between "Mines fine" and "Mines useless" owners) and not come up with anything obvious

I’m addicted to FSD
Desperately waiting for 11.4.x
Good demo of rhe latest outside of the Tesla insider access
If only we in the UK had a fraction of that capability. That drive is seriously impressive and confirms the cars hardware is capable, The USA may have a grid system for roads but parked vehicles, moving vehicles, stop signs, pedestrians and turns/junctions are still being managed with ease - so to transition for the UK is possible though with some very narrow roads (like Cornwall)- we have to either mount the verge or pull into a "passing place" to allow a vehicle in the opposite direction to get by and sometimes meet between a passing place - so one driver reverses to the previous passing place.

I really would be happy if FSD could actually manage a journey on our motorway without random braking, quitting, bongs sounding and indecision of whether to change lanes or not. We cant set a destination and have the car drive away at all, The Summon function has been broken by Tesla with a previous update so it does absolutely nothing at all - It wasn't good before but if you stood by the drivers door and instructed the car to move forward after a good long think, a bit of whirling sounds, the front wheels doing a sweep from right to left and back to straight ahead - it would eventually move forward enough so i could open the boot and put my shopping in.

My FSD sometimes works OK and other times is diabolical - the very best it has ever done was whilst the radar was still being used, It was just after midnight and got onto the M1 motorway junction 31 - as soon as i was in lane 1 I engaged auto pilot in fsd, The car accelerated to the speed limit, recommended lane changes to overtake - we have to confirm a lane change using the indicator and then it moves and the car drove perfectly down to junction 21 - maybe 40 miles in total, no phantom braking - motorway was very quiet - just the night trucker's and occasional car.
A month ago the car didn't make a couple of miles on a busy motorway without constantly quitting and bonging LF.

Now I do get why Tesla focuses on the USA market - its a USA car, and you expect the home market to get stuff well before Johnny foreigner - the galling bit is Tesla market the car as being able to do the stuff like self drive, like Summon, like auto park and until fairly recently charged us the same as the yanks pay for it.
In the UK we really are a forgiving bunch and we do accept that products that don't deliver in accordance with the marketing as "normal" we are too polite - or used to be - just wait until our youth get involved in the future - our millennials are self obsessed and entitled - they kick off if someone looks at them the wrong way - when they become Tesla customers Elon better go into hiding, Our youth love Tesla's - all the kids know them - however for the majority the cars are currently too expensive to buy and insurance is astronomical - when they discover the Tesla is actually quite useless technically they wont sit back and accept it.

I know some people swear their cars fsd performance is fine, however, to really get the level of satisfaction If Tesla offered those that paid for FSD or EAP their money back I'm convinced majority would.

If only we in the UK had a fraction of that capability. That drive is seriously impressive and confirms the cars hardware is capable, The USA may have a grid system for roads but parked vehicles, moving vehicles, stop signs, pedestrians and turns/junctions are still being managed with ease - so to transition for the UK is possible though with some very narrow roads (like Cornwall)- we have to either mount the verge or pull into a "passing place" to allow a vehicle in the opposite direction to get by and sometimes meet between a passing place - so one driver reverses to the previous passing place.

I really would be happy if FSD could actually manage a journey on our motorway without random braking, quitting, bongs sounding and indecision of whether to change lanes or not. We cant set a destination and have the car drive away at all, The Summon function has been broken by Tesla with a previous update so it does absolutely nothing at all - It wasn't good before but if you stood by the drivers door and instructed the car to move forward after a good long think, a bit of whirling sounds, the front wheels doing a sweep from right to left and back to straight ahead - it would eventually move forward enough so i could open the boot and put my shopping in.

My FSD sometimes works OK and other times is diabolical - the very best it has ever done was whilst the radar was still being used, It was just after midnight and got onto the M1 motorway junction 31 - as soon as i was in lane 1 I engaged auto pilot in fsd, The car accelerated to the speed limit, recommended lane changes to overtake - we have to confirm a lane change using the indicator and then it moves and the car drove perfectly down to junction 21 - maybe 40 miles in total, no phantom braking - motorway was very quiet - just the night trucker's and occasional car.
A month ago the car didn't make a couple of miles on a busy motorway without constantly quitting and bonging LF.

Now I do get why Tesla focuses on the USA market - its a USA car, and you expect the home market to get stuff well before Johnny foreigner - the galling bit is Tesla market the car as being able to do the stuff like self drive, like Summon, like auto park and until fairly recently charged us the same as the yanks pay for it.
In the UK we really are a forgiving bunch and we do accept that products that don't deliver in accordance with the marketing as "normal" we are too polite - or used to be - just wait until our youth get involved in the future - our millennials are self obsessed and entitled - they kick off if someone looks at them the wrong way - when they become Tesla customers Elon better go into hiding, Our youth love Tesla's - all the kids know them - however for the majority the cars are currently too expensive to buy and insurance is astronomical - when they discover the Tesla is actually quite useless technically they wont sit back and accept it.

I know some people swear their cars fsd performance is fine, however, to really get the level of satisfaction If Tesla offered those that paid for FSD or EAP their money back I'm convinced majority would.
What is more galling to me is that just a few weeks after I bought FSD, along came EAP offering 90% of FSD at half the price. The other half gave me stop/start at traffic lights. Whoopee-do!

FSD isnt better in the US than here because tesla 'concentrate' on the US. Its thanks to the EU. EU regulations massively restrict what any driver assistance in the UK can do. When the rules came in, summon became useless overnight, and the turn-limit for autopilot got introduced.
Tesla are trying to persuade the EU standards body on this to update the legilsation. The last I heard it was likely late this year or early next.
We may be out of the EU, but AFAIK we follow their rules on this topic. Its likely delayed because EU car policy is dictated by Germany, which is dictated by Volkswagen who... are not the market leader in ADAS.

The good news is that there are UK-based tesla test-drivers currently testing UK-roads versions of autopilot (apparently...there were jobs listings), in anticipation of the rules changing.
I knew FSD was nerfed when I bought my model Y, but figured if I have to wait a year or 2 for it to get enabled, then thats fine. I suspect the minute it is enabled, the price will rise.

FWIW I do some long 3.5 hour motorway trips here and autopilot is pretty flawless for me. Daytime trips, all weathers, 2022 model Y without parking sensors. I only use it on A roads or motorways.

Reactions: mick4545
Agree with the above but it’s Tesla’s poor implementation of some things.

Indicate to change lane for example and the EU stipulate that the change must commence within x seconds. Fair cop.

Problem you have now in a Tesla is you indicate and some times and after about 4 seconds it starts to change lane and then half way through the lane change the car thinks it won’t make it within the time period and swerves back into the lane you are departing from. It’s simply bloody dangerous. If the car has started the manoeuvre, it should complete it.