Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The model 3/Y are "poor-man" Tesla...they are cheaply made and feel compare to the S/X.

Tesla lost the luxury branding by putting out the cheap 3/Y. The ride quality is very rough.
The M3 is a budget S...but it’s not a poor man car...it’s surprisingly refined, it’s innovative even cutting edge...but, to be fair, it brought Tesla into my budget (just😜)

Reactions: SO16
If it's not cheap...why don't you see any review that put it ahead other brand...in the same price range.

Even the Kia and Hyundai EV are way better looking than the ugly shrink down model 3.
Car reviewers hate Tesla...no freebies...no cars to test...that’s why new cars are often tested against very old, beat up Teslas. But one thing is for sure...Tesla sets the benchmark and every new car is touted as a Tesla beater.
As to your final point...M3 is a great looking, elegant car...and only a MS looks better

Reactions: superblast and SO16
Car reviewers hate Tesla...no freebies...no cars to test...that’s why new cars are often tested against very old, beat up Teslas. But one thing is for sure...Tesla sets the benchmark and every new car is touted as a Tesla beater.
As to your final point...M3 is a great looking, elegant car...and only a MS looks better
YUP! Not only that, car reviewers are often glossing over the situation for other vehicles. They want to keep getting those free trials. Watch at 3:20.

The model 3/Y are "poor-man" Tesla...they are cheaply made and feel compare to the S/X.

Tesla lost the luxury branding by putting out the cheap 3/Y. The ride quality is very rough.
ROFL. I'll take my Perf Model Y over your 2015 and 2018 Model S any day, regardless of price. I always hate it when I get a pre-refresh Model S as a loaner. It makes me appreciate the Y all the more. I'm glad you like yours though. I do find it interesting that a Tesla owner would come onto a Tesla thread to troll. What's up with that?

You really should see the chaos going on with the MME. Of course we won't hear about it on the EV blog sites since it's not Tesla. I feel sorry for these people and the cluster over the HV battery recall.

Craziest thing I have read!

POST Recall Software HVBJB Failure
Chaos is an understatement. I also sympathize with them. Even the most optimistic guys are getting fed up.

Reactions: geekfam
Exact words as a "poor-man" Tesla would said.
Tesla used to be an exclusive brand with $90k plus cars...

Now every high school and college kids have one...
If it's not cheap...why don't you see any review that put it ahead other brand...in the same price range.

Even the Kia and Hyundai EV are way better looking than the ugly shrink down model 3.
Clearly you spent your education money on a car. Wise choice……lol

Reactions: geekfam and DrGriz
I've been watching the MME drama play out as part of a greater story for domestic EV makers - particularly Ford and GM.

You see at a corporate strategy level, those two went opposite. Ford decided to seize market ground as quickly as possible, fast tracking the Mach-E and the F-150 lightning by whatever-means-necessary to hit those two sweet spots ahead of the competition. They produced interesting designs, but the rush is now showing, with every single Mach-E under recall, and the F-150 also showing teething problems as well as huge manufacturing bottlenecks.

GM went the other way, taking more time to build up their base "Ultium" electric platform with what is probably better engineering, and the ability to apply it across a wide range of vehicles since it's designed from the start as a platform. Even Honda is going to be licensing Ultium for their first EV SUV. But this came at the cost of timing. GM is roughly a year behind Ford in the race to have products in meaningful numbers of customer hands.

So which wins out? The tortise or the hare? (and what about the Fox that's already sitting on the finish line reading recipes for turtle and rabbit soup?) :)

Sir did you ignore the bolt?

GM did indeed decide to grab market share and made a shitshow of the effort

GM has all but abandoned the Bolt - it's not the direction they're headed. I'm talking about major mainstream cars and trucks, not a one-off micro hatch with outsourced batteries that had to be recalled and is now being sold for less than it costs to make to try and move them at all.

Ultium is what GM has bet it's future on - it'll be underneath most of their coming cars, plus a variety of other carmakers.

Ford went all-in on two niche models, without an underlying platform in order to get fastest time-to-market.

That's the race for the future of the two companies. Bolts, Volts, and Hybrids licensed from Toyota won't matter.