Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ChargeFox EV charging Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read something about when they did the initial tests before construction it was all good, but between then and commissioning a new building was built between the tower and the chargers. Therefore the signal is less than expected.
Yes, that’s why they installed a mobile signal repeater in the roof of the basement. That and their customers also need our own mobile phones to work so we can use their app and kick off the session.

But I think that repeater is so unbelievably close to the chargers that it’s overpowering things. It’s common for mobile phones not to work correctly if you’re standing next to a base station.

But I think that repeater is so unbelievably close to the chargers that it’s overpowering things. It’s common for mobile phones not to work correctly if you’re standing next to a base station.
That’s entirely possible. Radio receiver overload is a thing. If that’s the cause, they need to dial down the repeater power, possibly by a lot.

I regularly use the RFID card for the Chargefox AC chargers at my supermarket. I initially got it because the phone signal is weak in the underground carpark, but honestly, it's so much quicker and easier than using a phone app, regardless of signal or not.
About the only thing ChargePoint do well is include a virtual RFID card in their iPhone app. It appears in your Wallet and I use it to unlock the charger. ChargeFox could learn from this.

They're a business, not a charity.

If comms is down for any reason (can be the mobile network, can also be the billing operator having an outage) that is NOT the customers fault. If it means they can't buy a sandwich that's one thing. If it means their family is stranded in a town that's not an acceptable option. Free vend means that the business is providing themselves with an incentive to ensure an ultra-reliable communications link to the site, and provides the customer with peace of mind.

Even a limit of 10kWh (resetting after 2 hours) on free vend failover would be better than nothing. It’s probably enough to reach the next DC charger, which can be rather important in the middle of winter. $2 of free juice ($4 in lost revenue) is trifling in comparison.

Maybe two limits - 10kWh per 2 hours AND 20kWh per week. Just to ensure people don’t jam comms to exploit things too much.

If comms is down for any reason (can be the mobile network, can also be the billing operator having an outage) that is NOT the customers fault. If it means they can't buy a sandwich that's one thing. If it means their family is stranded in a town that's not an acceptable option. Free vend means that the business is providing themselves with an incentive to ensure an ultra-reliable communications link to the site, and provides the customer with peace of mind.

Do you expect McDonalds to feed that family if they can't pay too?
edit, ok, better example: If a servo turns it's pumps off for an outage, do you expect free fuel?

Do you expect McDonalds to feed that family if they can't pay too?
edit, ok, better example: If a servo turns it's pumps off for an outage, do you expect free fuel?

I'm not *expecting* anything - I'm saying that this is a method that other charging networks have *chosen* to use in order to provide good customer service.

To use your metaphor, if a servo had a problem with their payment system then there is a staff member there who can use a backup, restart the EFTPOS machine, process a cash payment, etc etc. If it's a global problem then the alternative is that the servo closes for the day and people go to the other servo 500 m down the road. Note that in this example, if the servo did offer free tanks of fuel then you would have everyone in the suburb rocking up to get their free $50-100 worth - they'd lose thousands of dollars in a day, so that would a pretty stupid business decision.

To compare that with an EV charger, imagine rocking up to the only fast charger in a town, nothing for 100 km in either direction, the charger is working but the payment system isn't working, for some unknown reason outside your control. You're literally stranded unless you can get your $20 of electricity. The charger gets 1 or 2 people a day. If you were the charge network operator, would you give up $40 of revenue a day to avoid the bad PR of someone complaining on Facebook about "holiday ruined because of [brand name] charger not working" ?

Interestingly they're using parallel parking bays. Could be a struggle for LEAF drivers by the look of it!
It’s like the NRMA charger at Olympic Park, Sydney. I’ve only used it once with my LEAF, but it’s almost impossible to park legally and use it with the LEAF. You have to park extremely close to the kerb and as far back in the marked space as possible, and even then, the Chademo cable only just reaches the port at the front.

Even the M3 is awkward to use at that charger.
I agree, the Homebush Bay charger is largely a joke. It's a corporate/publicity exercise, whereas the rest of their network is a practical & highly useful endeavour. Aside from the single-stall thing, of course.

But if you park the car in the space, step out, and use Summon, you can line up the port with the cable while standing next to the charger.

Even a limit of 10kWh (resetting after 2 hours) on free vend failover would be better than nothing. It’s probably enough to reach the next DC charger, which can be rather important in the middle of winter. $2 of free juice ($4 in lost revenue) is trifling in comparison.

Maybe two limits - 10kWh per 2 hours AND 20kWh per week. Just to ensure people don’t jam comms to exploit things too much.

Perfectly reasonable solution when a supplier cannot provide and essential service. Good customer relations.

Charger service SLA's should be 2hrs 24/7 anyways.