TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Elon, Where is the FSD features you promised?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Bladerskb, Jul 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

#401 AnxietyRanger, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    Thanks for visualizing this.

Exactly what happened to me, though my turn was more aggressive and far more dangerous:

2. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  3. AnxietyRanger

^ @FlatSix911 Nice infographic there, too bad it is terribly inaccurate in it's camera numbers and placement...

• Like x 1
  4. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

5. lunitiks

lunitiks nolidar onderuf hehehe $$$

Yeah fancy graphics. I wish it was more accurate though

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  6. NerdUno

NerdUno Member

Lane Departure Assist on our AP2 vehicle works almost exactly opposite of what is shown. When our car senses an adjacent 18-wheeler, it moves toward the rig, not away from it. :eek:

• Funny x 1
  7. Beckler

Beckler Member

On the main Model S page

Model S | Tesla

Roughly the second item down is the full self driving feature with video:

"Full Self-Driving Hardware on your Model S
    All Tesla vehicles produced in our factory, including Model 3, have the hardware needed for full self-driving capability at a safety level substantially greater than that of a human driver."

That's all it says! I think that is carefully worded and really has to be intentionally deceptive. What else? Only by clicking the Learn More button do they much later explain what's going on. This is holding Tesla to a different standard, but that's the main reason I mention it. :) All companies, everywhere, lie and scam. Tesla shouldn't.

8. alcibiades

alcibiades Member

You have to admire the strategy!

9. Bladerskb

Bladerskb Like how many times do i have to be right?

#409 Bladerskb, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    Admirable but terribly mistaken. Tesla doesn't lead anything, it lags heavily behind in self driving tech. I dont understand how all Tesla authors/writers lack any kind of critical thinking.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  10. Drone Flyer

Drone Flyer Active Member

Stils boggles my mind why anyone would want Full Self Driving capability on this car!
    If you don't want to drive, take a taxi! Geez!

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  11. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

You are completely missing the point on some long boring highways while roadtripping between interesting places.

• Like x 2
  12. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

Your point will become valid once you can buy FSD on any other car. So far this is the only car that offers it ;)

• Like x 1
  13. lunitiks

lunitiks nolidar onderuf hehehe $$$

14. Swift

Swift Member

Hence all the controversy. None of the other manufacturers are willing to do so until they have something to sell. Smarter lawyers.

15. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

Tesla is somewhat lawyer-proof now. People are hesitant to potentially become "the guy that shot Tesla down/impeded their mission/whatever".
    This is why a bunch of other lawsuits that were in the wings for some time are still not there and people are just trying to talk some sense into the Tesla.
    It's everybody's guess how long that would last.

16. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

We give Tesla a lot of flack for the whole FSD debacle. For good reason as they've boxed themselves in a corner. They didn't give themselves room for a normal progression of adding features as they became VIABLE. Instead they made promises right out of the gate about the potential of the hardware on a HW2 car.

Now I don't know how Tesla will handle the situation as it unfolds. Maybe partial refunds to those that bought the FSD option, or maybe costly HW upgrades. I haven't even seen an admittance from them in any shape or form that this whole FSD isn't to be with HW2. At least not to the extent that was shown.

But, I also question what the right approach is?

How do you package SW progression into the cost of a car? That fairly reflects the goals of it, and the challenges due to regulatory unknowns.

The OTA SW upgrade model is unique to Tesla because the dealership model used by other car companies complicate the OTA upgrades. If it is seen as enhancing the car then the dealership wants their cut.

By the very nature of the SW upgrade model Tesla is in a position of always selling a promise that they might not be able to deliver on. Which is the same way technology companies have operated for quite sometime. They say something will do X, but then Y years later you're still waiting for it. We forgive/forget because the cycles are so short.

Even if the SW was ready Tesla would be selling something that couldn't be turned on. Just like the situation Audi is going to be in with the A8. Where they have a car that they believe is capable of L3 in limited situations, but they're waiting for regulatory approval. If it doesn't get approval (for whatever reason) they're going to be in a bit of a pickle.

For me L3 and beyond is really what I care about. My AP1 Model S already does L2 decently enough that I'm not motivated to get just another L2 car.

The Audi A8 isn't all that compelling either due to the limited speeds. Where I live often times you can have bumper to bumper traffic that suddenly opens up to 50mph, and then slams right back down. The 37mph limit would be annoying to say the least.

• Love x 1
  17. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

The funny thing about this is Tesla managed to get themselves sued by people in Norway.

It's funny because I picture people in the US as being sue happy. Yet, it was Norwegians that sued.

• Funny x 2
  18. AnxietyRanger

:)

I know your comment was in jest, but two ponderings still:

Probably a result of both the nature and written word/precedent of the local law. The U.S. system being more geared towards lucrative liability lawsuits, where are Norway is more about general consumer protection against manufacturer errors...

Also, Tesla used some even more misleading official HP registrations in Norway, if I recall.

Part of this is just a co-incidence of course.

• Like x 1
  19. oktane

oktane Active Member

There are no regulatory challenges to selling a L3 car with a human driver behind the wheel. The right approach is an apology and refund from Tesla plus a buy back at FMV for those who want that. And a promise to not lie to consumers in the future. None of this will happen though, until Tesla is compelled to do so by the courts. I know plenty of lawyers that don't give a flying F about Tesla or interfering with "their mission".

• Love x 2
    • Like x 1
  20. alcibiades

alcibiades Member

There is in fact a class action about HW2 right now. The lawyer-proof-edness will be settled. Courts move slowly, but they probably will beat FSD to the finish line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.