Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is not random. It is rolled out in such a way as to maximize confusion and maximize posts about how it might be rolled out. Typically, the answer of "when" it will hit a particular car is "after everyone else you know". In my case, it is "doesn't matter, but notice that your wife got it immediately and you're still waiting... DANCE FOR ME FOOL!"
:biggrin: I just noticed this thread and had to go check the car. Nada.

What is the "contrast issue,"

The contrast is reduced from prior-to-v7 versions. This makes the numbers around the dial and other items invisible under many light conditions and hard to read in others. Basically it's a safety item because you have to take your eyes off the road for a prolonged time to read rather than just glancing. Sure, the flat look is fugly, but you can get used to it, I guess. However, the lack of contrast is criminal.

Hahahahah... I feel you!!!! Driving up from LA to San Jose, i had to shut off the Navi since it wanted me to turn back around to a Supercharger i just visited... (Tejon to Harris Ranch & vice versa).

I will be happy to have the nav stop telling me to turn around and visit Superchargers I've already visited. Sure, more would be great, but this alone will remove a lot of annoyance from the nav system.

Toy car being "stupid" for non-auto-pilot cars is mostly accurate. To be fair regarding the included improvements, there were definitely additions included that were ranked high in the 7.1 voting thread we ran a couple months ago. That tells me one of two things, Tesla's vision for software improvements does line-up with what owners actually want (in other words, they are on the right track) OR better yet, Tesla is actually listening to owner feedback, specifically, some of the highest voted requests from right on this very forum.

And which non-AP related changes were those?

Agree there are some good new features. I will definitely use the auto open/close function. But were we not promised a UI overhaul by none other than Elon himself?

Since feedback from paying customers is being ignored I suppose I can ask tesla to change my car to black.

Yikes, that's awful.

@Lump - Your post prompted me to create a new poll:

Classic Model S: Toy car?

Last edited:
Haven't got this update yet... have they moved the HI BEAMS ON indicator to a place where we can see it again, and not hidden behind the steering wheel on the left?

I am getting tired of being flashed to turn my brights down, and people must think Tesla drivers are asshats... for not turning them down..

My wife in passenger seat is my constant reminder because she can see the indicator from where she sits, but not me, and when I'm flying solo is the worst.

Sometimes the priority of features surprises me. Why release "summons' now when there is no way to auto-plugin or unplug the charge cable. Why when it doesn't work on a slope or can't make it over a lip? It seems at this point it's not that useful in real life with these restrictions. Since I have a classic I don't really care, it's just odd to release half working features.

I think its a simple as this: Summons gets more press then a navigation system that matches what cars had a decade ago. Of course I'm biased as I have no AP but I think NAV updates would help a LOT more owners than the summoning thing.

How is that productive to anyone? If you're going to be mean, at least admit it.

Anyway-- I agree with brooklynrab in that all the hype about Autopilot is great and all, but if my numbers are right nearly HALF the fleet is still pre-Autopilot (though admittedly becoming a smaller percentage every day).

Tesla would do well to devote some more resources to maximizing our experiences too. The random moving of displayed info doesn't count.

Side question-- I know that Autopilot hardware can't be retrofit, but what about JUST the front center radar, would that be enough to enable traffic-aware cruise control? I'm happy to steer myself but TACC would be an upgrade that seems minimally invasive and more useful than LTE.

That's a good question, but unfortunately, I doubt just radar would do the trick. I believe the camera is the heart of the system, and the radar is a very strong backup to it. However, radar cannot sense lanes, which is important to TACC too. And it cannot sense more distant traffic, which is really necessary for high speed approaches to cars waiting at stop lights.

Haven't got this update yet... have they moved the HI BEAMS ON indicator to a place where we can see it again, and not hidden behind the steering wheel on the left?

I am getting tired of being flashed to turn my brights down, and people must think Tesla drivers are asshats... for not turning them down..

My wife in passenger seat is my constant reminder because she can see the indicator from where she sits, but not me, and when I'm flying solo is the worst.

I have to keep my hand on the lever to remember + when it is semi rainy I need to manually wipe in my car - that is my 1 major problem I have that I totally forget until it is misty!

Still waiting for 7.1 to download to my car but in the mean time, regarding the thread title, what defines a "Classic" Model S? Age? Features?
As @bollar noted, and the addition of the Autopilot hardware (forward facing camera and radar, and additional ultrasonic sensors on each side of the bumpers) occurred around the third week of September 2014. That hardware was installed into all Teslas built after that time.

Rest easy, I was getting flashed in my '99 Acura TL for many years even when I was on low. I don't think they target you as a Tesla driver, just as a random asshat. :smile:

As an aside.. brights? I see a Canada signature, but that's a term I've only heard in Texas. Is that standard terminology where you live?

As an aside.. brights? I see a Canada signature, but that's a term I've only heard in Texas. Is that standard terminology where you live?

An Illinonian here where "brights" was an old school term, but I still use it too.

Z