Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FIRST PICTURES - Tesla Autopilot 2.0 ECU (Nvidia PX 2)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With a little help from my friend w/AP2, I just captured some nice pics of the AP2.0ECU! Managed to do some measurements to ;) (metric):

Now - someone with the b**** please unscrew that thing and open it for us to see its guts :)

So the dimensions are about 295mm length x 157mm width x 28mm height then?

Lets speculate :), here is the development PX 2:
nvidia-drive-px-2-board-100654615-orig.jpg

Link:
http://core0.staticworld.net/images/article/2016/04/nvidia-drive-px-2-board-100654615-orig.jpg

If the GPU MXM boards are 82mm x 105mm (source: Mobile PCI Express Module - Wikipedia ).
Then that would mean the dev PX 2 is about 290mm x 153mm, pretty close to what you measured..

Did you measure the cooling fans? By looking at your measuring tape it seems like they are 80mm fan modules.
The fans are positioned differently (centered) than the GPU locations on the dev PX2, that would mean either the GPUs are positioned differently on the Tesla PX2 or they have some kind of cooling solution that made it practical with centered fans (heat sink/heat pipe solution??).

BTW, it also seems like there is some kind of ventilation channel behind the PX2 to circulate air inside the dashboard?
Were you able to take a look on the rear side (car forward facing part) of the Tesla PX2? I assume there would be some openings in the case there for air circulation together with the fans.

Yep, enclosure = 29,5 x 15,7 x 2,8 cm. is what I wrote down too :)

Didn't measure the two fans, sorry. (Getting a probe camera up there without touching the fins was hard enough (initially they were spinning!).

The ventilation channel you see in picture no 6, is actually the top of the big, HVAC blower motor assembly - i.e. part of the main ventilation unit between dash and frunk. On the opposite side of that vent (under the hood), is a duct to the HEPA filter assy. (Link to a photo of it in another thread.) So to me, it seems like parts of the "bio defense" intake air goes to the inside of the dash (cooling the PX2, and perhaps the CID and/or other warm'ish stuff), and parts of the air goes into the blower motor for A/C'ing the cabin!

Anyway, that vent should provide for some decent air flow for the PX2, which explains the reasoning behind the graphic card fans :)

I don' know about that MXM-stuff, perhaps someone else can help us speculate further :)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: enzo and Matias
Either way, it's likely got 2 SoCs and 2 GPUs using the same architecture as the reference board no matter what the board looks like.

I hope so too, but I am a bit sceptical. I am speculating that Tesla perhaps have a custom version with 2 SOCs and only 1 GPU. I am thinking this based on the small size of the heatsink/fan combo on the Tesla PX2 compared to the dev/reference unit. The Tesla unit seems to only have 2 x 80mm fans with one heat sink on top only. The bottom of the Tesla PX2 only have some indentations in the metal enclosure that can act as cooling for lower power electronics (#82 above).

The dev/reference PX2 board seems to be about the same size as the Tesla PX2, but the dev board has 2 GPUs on one side and the 2 SOCs on the other side. In lunitiks post #87 above we can also see some wires on the underside of the PX2 board, it looks like fans and fan cables to me (I've adjusted the exposure and shadows in Adobe LR):
0042061W2_0.jpg

I also found a picture from another angle here (unfortunately a bit to small to help much..):
NVidia-DrivePX-with-flir.jpg
Source:
Collect image data, train a neural network, and deploy on an embedded system

• Informative
Reactions: LargeHamCollider
How do you know that? We know that Tesla originally designed the board to house an EyeQ3 chip as well and they had to remove it, so who knows how it ended up.

They respun the board design. We can only do a tear down to know.

Their own ASIC is being prepped. Dollars to donuts they'll just sub out the current board for their own custom board and chipset.