Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.69

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting, I had concluded the opposite, noting that his left leg didn't move much and jiggled freely while going over bumps. Can you point me to some timestamps where he's actively lifting his leg to ward off a potential nag? I just remember that on FSDb mode, the nags can come every 10 sec if there's no torque detected, which means he's using his leg every 10 sec. I def didn't see that.

Anyway, this is all very academic. It's quite stupid to cancel a nag with your leg when you could do the same with your hand, which is closer to what you're supposed to be doing anyway. Not much explanation except to showboat for the camera. I can't imagine many people using their leg to cancel nags from a purely practical perspective. It's like using your elbow to do the same. Look ma, no hands!
I won't have the time for timestamps, but just check the first few minutes of some of his newer videos. It is very obvious. Like Alan said, hands are just easier.
He is trying to be, or look cool like his version is special and different from ours.

haha, except when they don't like fog, heavy rain, etc. I would welcome the return of radar for so many non-perfect days (ie. outside of sunny fair weather places).
I agree. I don't want a self driving car that drives as well as I, I want a self driving car that does a better job than I. I think Tesla has based their self driving technology on a myth, that is we only use sight to drive. I would argue we use all our senses in combination with sight.

I agree. I don't want a self driving car that drives as well as I, I want a self driving car that does a better job than I. I think Tesla has based their self driving technology on a myth, that is we only use sight to drive. I would argue we use all our senses in combination with sight.
In addition, we use a lot more detail such the position of the front wheels on the other vehicles, the head position and eyes of the other drivers and even the physical condition of the other vehicles ( dents on all four corners).

Appears there is another release between 69.3.1 and V11

Reactions: old pilot
I would argue we use all our senses in combination with sight.

Yep, but we don’t come equipped with radar.

In addition, we use a lot more detail such the position of the front wheels on the other vehicles, the head position and eyes of the other drivers and even the physical condition of the other vehicles ( dents on all four corners).

Yep, radar will solve this problem.

I would welcome the return of radar for so many non-perfect days (ie. outside of sunny fair weather places).

The problem is it won’t solve any of the problems. It will certainly provide additional capabilities that humans do not possess, though.

An extremely capable and useful crutch.

Yep, but we don’t come equipped with radar.

Yep, radar will solve this problem.

The problem is it won’t solve any of the problems. It will certainly provide additional capabilities that humans do not possess, though.

An extremely capable and useful crutch.
I think I see where Alan is going, and I agree. Cameras are needed to drive, period. Without them, the car cannot drive on radar/lidar alone. If the cameras are obscured for any reason, the car cannot drive, even with radar. Radar will help in some cases, but if it's foggy, heavy rain and the cameras cannot see the traffic signal, or the speed limit sign, etc, then the car cannot drive. If you're expecting the car to drive in heavy fog and heavy rain with radar, how is it going to see the red light ahead? How is it going to see the lane markers to stay centered, or the road signs to keep the correct speed?

I think I see where Alan is going, and I agree. Cameras are needed to drive, period. Without them, the car cannot drive on radar/lidar alone. If the cameras are obscured for any reason, the car cannot drive, even with radar. Radar will help in some cases, but if it's foggy, heavy rain and the cameras cannot see the traffic signal, or the speed limit sign, etc, then the car cannot drive. If you're expecting the car to drive in heavy fog and heavy rain with radar, how is it going to see the red light ahead? How is it going to see the lane markers to stay centered, or the road signs to keep the correct speed?

I definitely think it would be wise to equip cars with radar, but my feeling is that the software engineers seem like they have a lot of other things to do as well.

And if the goal is to have the car drive itself it seems like it would be good to focus on those problems.

Can do both of course, with enough resources.

Anyway, a tired old conversation, unrelated to 10.69, unless they plan to turn the radar back on.

I don't even know why they removed radar in the first place. I've driven a Model Y with radar and now am driving one without radar. The one with radar felt more capable in traffic in terms of following and stopping. Vision based auto pilot tends to slam on the brakes more often and just feels unrefined. Seems like Tesla removed radar as a cost saving measure and is now realizing that they can't progress with radar. I wonder if this will have any impact on V11's release.

Vision based auto pilot tends to slam on the brakes more often and just feels unrefined.
If they can’t reliably stop and measure distances with the current vision and compute system, they have much much bigger problems than a lack of radar.

It seems like a trivial task with superhuman perception to measure distances and velocity and plan accordingly.

And if you rely on the radar crutch it will help in many situations but also not address many issues.

With limited resources, it makes sense to focus on the fundamental issues.

I think eventually they’ll end up with radar and Elon will say it is great, perhaps not a crutch.

Last edited:
Reactions: FSDtester#1
I went for a drive in light rain tonight and FSD worked well, but what really suprised me where two things. My automatic wipers also worked well in the dark and my auto highbeams dimmed for cars in a sensible, human like way. I had one false dimming for a bunch of reflective construction barrels, but otherwise my short 4 mile trip in the rainy dark went much better then I remember previous trips in the rain.
….sorry if this is old news, but I don't go out in the rain and dark if I can help it, and it had been a couple of versions back when I last tried this and wipers and higbeams where not that great.

Here is a good one that I get at a couple of intersections. FSD turns right and then wants to do a U-turn in the middle of the road. The correct route is to just turn left. I just disengage before I get to the intersections.
Here's one along those lines. I was going to the airport in Medford, OR to pick up visitors a few days ago. Here's a photo of the map and related step-by-step directions:
2022-12-07 15-03-08.jpg

I was heading north up Biddle Road, on the blue line coming up from the bottom of the display. Just after the road bends a little to the left, the airport entrance is a simple right turn. It's well marked (not that the car is reading signs), but even if it weren't all rational beings will simply turn right to enter the airport grounds. But nooooo. The car, including FSDß, wants to turn left onto Ohare, then make a clockwise loop around that sorta rectangle, get back onto Ohare going the other way, and finally cross Biddle to enter the airport. I have yet to figure out what it's thinking.

Here's one along those lines. I was going to the airport in Medford, OR to pick up visitors a few days ago. Here's a photo of the map and related step-by-step directions:
View attachment 882557
I was heading north up Biddle Road, on the blue line coming up from the bottom of the display. Just after the road bends a little to the left, the airport entrance is a simple right turn. It's well marked (not that the car is reading signs), but even if it weren't all rational beings will simply turn right to enter the airport grounds. But nooooo. The car, including FSDß, wants to turn left onto Ohare, then make a clockwise loop around that sorta rectangle, get back onto Ohare going the other way, and finally cross Biddle to enter the airport. I have yet to figure out what it's thinking.
Yep, I bet most of us experienced something similar.

Radar (and ultrasound and lidar) are good supplements to help with limitations of cameras and image processing. They can do some things far easier and better than a vision based system can you are right - ‘regular’ cameras are absolutely required.

If they can’t reliably stop and measure distances with the current vision and compute system, they have much much bigger problems than a lack of radar.

It seems like a trivial task with superhuman perception to measure distances and velocity and plan accordingly.

And if you rely on the radar crutch it will help in many situations but also not address many issues.

With limited resources, it makes sense to focus on the fundamental issues.

I think eventually they’ll end up with radar and Elon will say it is great, perhaps not a crutch.
The FSD team said (at first AI day?) that radar was too noisy/ too low res for proper fusion with vision. Imagine a passenger who yells at every other overpass " Brake! Hard! There's a car right in front of us!" There was too much disagreement between the sensors and as vision improved, radar became a distraction instead of a supplement. A better radar may help in low visibility scenarios to become superhuman. But to get on par, proper vision plus "memory" should do. They already have short term memory (occluded obstacles are remembered) and map data plays the role of long term memory. Only, it's often wrong. I believe they still use OSM (Open Street Map) for navigation. As it's open source, everyone can contribute, e.g. here.

• Informative
Reactions: PACEMD and kabin