Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Did the max speed on the screen change ? If Tesla doesn't think there is a change, its not going to slow down ...

BTW, Omar comments on some of these speed change behaviors in the video (with his father) - sometimes FSD reads truck speeds and slows down etc. Its also funny how both Omar & his dad keep talking about all the issues and posters here assert they are "shills".

Just reading a few of his tweets tells the story. He's got his nose so far up .....

• Disagree
Reactions: EVNow
Just reading a few of his tweets tells the story. He's got his nose so far up .....
But his videos are different ... I think he just wants (like so many others) a response or like from Musk on Twitter.

That doesn't make one a "shill" - just a fan. There is zero chance Tesla is paying Omar to push any kind of lies ...

Shills are those who take money under the table and act like the PR department while claiming to be neutral. None of the Tesla YT influencers fall in the category.

No way to know for sure of course but you’d expect a big change like that to be covered in the release notes. No guarantee of course.

The planner behavior looks pretty typical too, though I have not closely compared prior versions vs. 11.3 videos.

Reasonably sure that's something @verygreen would be able to see-- he's remarked in the past about what bits are still conventional C code vs NNs

Did the max speed on the screen change ? If Tesla doesn't think there is a change, its not going to slow down ...

BTW, Omar comments on some of these speed change behaviors in the video (with his father) - sometimes FSD reads truck speeds and slows down etc. Its also funny how both Omar & his dad keep talking about all the issues and posters here assert they are "shills".

For better or for worse, he's developed a reputation for being the "zero disengagement" drives guy. That is why he has the reputation of a shill. It's great to see him critique the software. He should be more balanced in all his videos.

Reactions: thewishmaster
For better or for worse, he's developed a reputation for being the "zero disengagement" drives guy. That is why he has the reputation of a shill. It's great to see him critique the software. He should be more balanced in all his videos.

We need people like him to push software though. There are plenty of videos out there of people disengaging for all sorts of preferential issues. It's annoying to see that. People want to see what the software is capable of.

I think he is balanced. When the software sucks, he'll say it. He's done it with many releases.

He's a software developer / programmer like me, and when we see what Tesla is doing with FSDb, we're very amazed. It's difficult to see what Tesla is doing with computer vision and not believe in the approach. To me (and probably him), Tesla has solved FSD, and it's just a matter of time. Perhaps that is a shill-like mindset.

We need people like him to push software though. There are plenty of videos out there of people disengaging for all sorts of preferential issues. It's annoying to see that. People want to see what the software is capable of.

I think he is balanced. When the software sucks, he'll say it. He's done it with many releases.

He's a software developer / programmer like me, and when we see what Tesla is doing with FSDb, we're very amazed. It's difficult to see what Tesla is doing with computer vision and not believe in the approach. To me (and probably him), Tesla has solved FSD, and it's just a matter of time. Perhaps that is a shill-like mindset.
Don't forget Omar and Elon were both in a lawsuit together a few years ago.
I can't remember the details, but they were sued together. I have seen videos with them together, so they are probably decent friends at least.

I agree with this in principle.

But he's done something so that he doesn't have to touch the wheel of his car. To me, he's glorifying the no-intervention aspect of driving. There's no need for this. Show videos of what we ALL have to go through. I also agree with a previous poster regarding his tweet history. I don't consider it balanced/tempered as I would expect from a software dev being analytical about the subject matter.

Anyway, I said "for better or for worse." Maybe we need "shills" to counter the "fudsters." Personally, I tune the extremes out.

To me, he's glorifying the no-intervention aspect of driving. There's no need for this. Show videos of what we ALL have to go through. I also agree with a previous poster regarding his tweet history. I don't consider it balanced/tempered as I would expect from a software dev being analytical about the subject matter.

Yes, in this respect, aidrvr is better, which is why he has more subscribers, but aidrvr will sometimes disengage for human etiquette reasons.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Don't forget Omar and Elon were both in a lawsuit together a few years ago.
I can't remember the details, but they were sued together. I have seen videos with them together, so they are probably decent friends at least.

I think they are acquaintances by circumstance but not friends. Omar was on the third row podcast, and so they did spend some time together for interviews and whatnot. I don't think they ever hung out or directly communicated casually.

• Informative
Yes, in this respect, aidrvr is better, which is why he has more subscribers, but aidrvr will sometimes disengage for human etiquette reasons.

Yep, AI DRIVR and DirtY Tesla were my goto FSD channels for a really long time.

These days, I just don't care anymore. The progress has been so slow and incremental for most of 10.x that I'll just get the release when I get it, and I'll eval it myself. But I will admit, I've been watching some vids of 11.3.x, cause I guess I'm still hopeful there can be a substantive jump in progress.... we'll see.

I think they are acquaintances by circumstance but not friends. Omar was on the third row podcast, and so they did spend some time together for interviews and whatnot. I don't think they ever hung out or directly communicated casually.
I watched a 2 hour video on 1 of Elon's properties where he had like 7 people there and his mom and brother. They talked around a table the whole time and acted like old friends. Who knows for sure. Either way, I have read some tweets from him taking some jabs at Elon. So I wouldn't classify him as 100% Shillified!

Reactions: powertoold
One last thought on Omar vids:

I've always disliked no-intervention vids from anyone because I don't learn anything about the release. Especially when most everyone were not getting zero intervention drives. Omar likely records every trip he goes on, and whenever one happens to be zero intervention, he posts that one. That is the opposite of balanced. Also @AlanSubie4Life will likely find at least 5 problems with that drive :D If I'm watching these vids to learn how a release really performs, Omar's vids seem like a sh*tty choice. I also don't like to label anyone as a "shill," but I completely understand why some people think Omar is one.

I agree with this in principle.

But he's done something so that he doesn't have to touch the wheel of his car. To me, he's glorifying the no-intervention aspect of driving. There's no need for this. Show videos of what we ALL have to go through. I also agree with a previous poster regarding his tweet history. I don't consider it balanced/tempered as I would expect from a software dev being analytical about the subject matter.

Anyway, I said "for better or for worse." Maybe we need "shills" to counter the "fudsters." Personally, I tune the extremes out.
He us using his left knee to rub the wheel for resistance. He raises it up occasionally.
He just did a video with his dad MS with a yoke. He had to actually torque the yoke for that video.

• Helpful
Reactions: RabidYak
There are plenty of videos out there of people disengaging for all sorts of preferential issues. It's annoying to see that. People want to see what the software is capable of.
In some of my videos I count some interventions in real time, without intervening. This seems like a good solution. That way you see what happens and you can also count interventions.

In posting my future videos (carefully designed to avoid going viral - speaking of which, now seems like a perfect time to release some 10.69.25.2 videos ), I will try harder to do this.

However, I feel it creates collision risk to do so, sometimes.