Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Waymo is operating actual robotaxis in SF. They, like FSDb now with 11, also obey the actual law and stop at stop signs. Doesn't seem to be safety problem for them either.

Self-driving systems will obey all traffic laws. The sooner you and others accept that fact the better.
But waymo gets a pass in the Bay Area when obeying traffic laws .. i get a “I hate you Elon” look and a honk when I obey traffic laws with fsd

Yep. That one is totally different. Stopped at the stop sign.

Certainly not the exact same in Bull video, where stop sign was way before the stop. Truck it is.

I don't think it's the truck. We've never seen it stop for an irrelevant truck like that before. The truck wasn't even highlighted in blue. If anything, it may have first seen the stop sign and then misinterpreted the other red sign as the stop sign.

But waymo gets a pass in the Bay Area when obeying traffic laws .. i get a “I hate you Elon” look and a honk when I obey traffic laws with fsd
People are not liking L2 and want L4-L5 badly, but aren't prepared for the reality of obeying traffic laws. I predict there is going to be a lot of road rage in the near future as these companies release more cars into the wild.

People are not liking L2 and want L4-L5 badly, but aren't prepared for the reality of obeying traffic laws. I predict there is going to be a lot of road rage in the near future as these companies release more cars into the wild.

That's why the NHTSA's "recall" is so stupid. It's level 2; I am the decision maker. I don't want it to stop to 0mph at stop signs. I should be able to make that decision. I guess the NHTSA wants me to press the accelerator, which increases risk, as I may have pedal misapplication or missed something with my human eyesight.

Isn’t it Tesla’s recall?
Technically, yes. But Tesla did it only to prevent NHTSA from likely forcing a recall. (Tesla said that they didn't agree.)

On February 7, 2023, while not concurring with the agency’s analysis, Tesla decided to administer a voluntary recall out of an abundance of caution.

BTW Tesla has released a document on the recall remedy: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2023/RMISC-23V085-7352.pdf (Which is just the OTA Recall release notes in V11.3.1.)

I have 1 large roundabout I take every day and FSDb slows to 1 mph before proceeding even when there are no cars. And it doesn't matter where I enter the roundabout. One of these days it will get fixed :) .
FSD's ability to handle unprotected right turns (i.e. yields) is shaky at best. Sometimes it's flawless, other times it's dangerous. I haven't been able to predict which it will be for a given intersection but it's definitely something they need to work on.

Reactions: kriskros91
Sure, but all the 11.3.1 videos I've seen are still highlighting relevant cars in blue. Not sure if that was the case on 11.3.0
I don’t think this is true.

Vehicles are highlighted in blue, but there are many vehicles which are highlighted dark but not blue, which the vehicle clearly responds to. The exact conditions under which a vehicle is highlighted blue is not clear to me.

There are examples of the vehicle drawing stop lines and chevrons with a vehicle highlighted in black, and others with such vehicles highlighted blue.

So I don’t think the truck being highlighted dark but not blue says anything or rules out a response, which was my point.

It could have decided as you say that this might have been a junction and interpreted the no entry as a stop sign. Or it could have been a very late stop. Would have to see this route driven again with the same build a few times, with no truck present.

My observation is that the lead car is always darker in color (or lighter in color in night mode). Blue cars are showing cars that the AI is keeping an eye on, and might interact with the Tesla in some way. Basic grey cars are ones that AI is monitoring but not generally concerned about nor predicted to interact with the Tesla. To my knowledge the lead car is never highlighted in blue, always just dark.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Blue cars are showing cars that the AI is keeping an eye on, and might interact with the Tesla in some way.
Yes seems related to interacting with intended path. However, there are examples of vehicles which could interact with the intended path which are just highlighted dark and are not the lead vehicle. And the vehicle certainly responds to dark-highlighted vehicles.

I've watched 6-8 videos in the past 24 hours, so I don't remember which one showed it, but I did see one such situation posted. The car went from a 55 zone to a 35 zone as it entered a town, and it failed to slow down. The driver disengaged and hit the brakes, then reported it. In short, it behaved exactly like past versions. No improvement, no change.
Yeah, crazy. That's got to be a simple fix.

Yes seems related to interacting with intended path. However, there are examples of vehicles which could interact with the intended path which are just highlighted dark and are not the lead vehicle. And the vehicle certainly responds to dark-highlighted vehicles.
That must be new behavior and visualizations to have dark cars that are not the lead car. This could indicate new NN perception and planning beyond the previous scope.

I've watched 6-8 videos in the past 24 hours, so I don't remember which one showed it, but I did see one such situation posted. The car went from a 55 zone to a 35 zone as it entered a town, and it failed to slow down. The driver disengaged and hit the brakes, then reported it. In short, it behaved exactly like past versions. No improvement, no change.
Did the max speed on the screen change ? If Tesla doesn't think there is a change, its not going to slow down ...

BTW, Omar comments on some of these speed change behaviors in the video (with his father) - sometimes FSD reads truck speeds and slows down etc. Its also funny how both Omar & his dad keep talking about all the issues and posters here assert they are "shills".