Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Funny enough, the US is so overly regulated and the people still suck at driving. I’ve been in Philippines for 7 days now and the driving here is a complete *sugar* show…. But the crazy part is…. It works. Legit. I have yet to see a single crash and it’s the most bizarre type of driving that pretty much daily violates most of the road rules in the US.

The rate of road crash fatalities per capita in the philipines is 12.3 per 100k
In the US? 11 per 100k

#anecdotesarenotdata

• Informative
Reactions: aronth5
Funny enough, the US is so overly regulated and the people still suck at driving. I’ve been in Philippines for 7 days now and the driving here is a complete *sugar* show…. But the crazy part is…. It works. Legit. I have yet to see a single crash and it’s the most bizarre type of driving that pretty much daily violates most of the road rules in the US.
I've been to Beijing and the driving there is also a "free for all," but it doesn't work... I've even seen a lifeless body at the side of the road, once...

The rate of road crash fatalities per capita in the philipines is 12.3 per 100k
In the US? 11 per 100k

#anecdotesarenotdata
Come watch this madness… 1 more per 100k is nothing when you see what goes on here. You’d expect it be quadruple the amount.

Considering all the regulations and everything else in the US, and we’re only able to save 1 person per 100k. US drivers are junk, just like FSDb.

That works best with demolition derby valued vehicles. Drive slow, bumper to bumper, and stick a nose in to claim a position unless someone else wants it more and/or has less to lose. And motorcycles trump all. Winning! :)

• Funny
Reactions: Ramphex
Imagine FSDb trying to drive in those conditions? 😅
Revenue generating "robotaxis' by 2020; buy FSD now before the price goes up to its true value of $100,000..."

It is amazing how many blindly follow The Great Charlatan and soak up all of his charlatan "spin". Truly amazing. Maybe someone can write a scientific, peer reviewed, paper on this mass psychosis phenomenon. 🤣

• Funny
Reactions: Genie and Ramphex
I am pretty disappointed in the way FSD "prioritizes" manual lane change commands by the stalks. Autopilot used to immediately try to make the lane change happen at the expense of slowing down significantly on the road which may inconvenience other traffic. This version tries to find a balance between safety, comfort, and navigation accuracy and sometimes doesn't get the balance right at all. It will just keep driving along skipping some gaps (sometimes they are narrow in traffic but humans may go for them) and then you have to disengage because it will just miss the exit. At those times I really get reminded that I'm a beta tester for a large company.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc and Ramphex
I am pretty disappointed in the way FSD "prioritizes" manual lane change commands by the stalks. Autopilot used to immediately try to make the lane change happen at the expense of slowing down significantly on the road which may inconvenience other traffic. This version tries to find a balance between safety, comfort, and navigation accuracy and sometimes doesn't get the balance right at all. It will just keep driving along skipping some gaps (sometimes they are narrow in traffic but humans may go for them) and then you have to disengage because it will just miss the exit. At those times I really get reminded that I'm a beta tester for a large company.
It reminds you that you’re…. a beta? 😏

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
Actually, it would be the fault of the tailgater. It's always the fault of the tailgater, unless your car in front acted to intentionally cause the accident. It is the trailing driver's responsibility to maintain safe following distance from the car ahead. That distance must account for unexpected braking, whether in response to a child running into the street from behind a parked car or the lead car having a failure that results in a rapid deceleration.

Sadly, most drivers get up close to the lead car so that other cars cannot cut in between them. They do so at their risk.
Legally you might be able to make that argument, but practically speaking, I could not blame a driver for not reacting in time to a totally unexpected sudden slowdown at speed with typical Boston following distances. It's why I disable FSD when anyone gets too close. I don't want to be rear-ended, their fault or otherwise!

• Informative
Reactions: Ramphex
Come watch this madness… 1 more per 100k is nothing when you see what goes on here. You’d expect it be quadruple the amount.

Considering all the regulations and everything else in the US, and we’re only able to save 1 person per 100k. US drivers are junk, just like FSDb.
Just wondering how accurate Philippine's traffic stats are compared to USA's. Be careful making assumptions.

• Funny
I literally just drove Preston 5 mins ago. Went from Plano past 121 down to Main Street in Frisco. Was pretty smooth for me. I’m in a 2023 M3LR using average profile.
I literally just drove Preston 5 mins ago. Went from Plano past 121 down to Main Street in Frisco. Was pretty smooth for me. I’m in a 2023 M3LR using average profile.
Were you also using minimal lane change? I seem to have more issues if I have that activated.

There is a method to the madness.

Not sure about Philippines, but in India the mad traffic is significantly slower. Its like driving in the parking lots here. Chaotic, slow and relatively few accidents given the chaos.

Imagine FSDb trying to drive in those conditions? 😅

Another reminder that half the people in the AP team are from countries with bad traffic. Not new to them ;)

This is Ashok's home town.

nak.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: jebinc and JHCCAZ

Little preview of normal daily driving taken by me from the sidewalk.
I'm not sure what the problem is here, yes there are a lot of cars/mopeds/etc. but it's still flowing well in an orderly fashion. I've seen some truly chaotic behavior in China around 2004, maybe it's gotten better since then. And as stated by others, I hear India is truly chaotic and supposedly the last frontier for self driving.

There is a method to the madness.

Not sure about Philippines, but in India the mad traffic is significantly slower. Its like driving in the parking lots here. Chaotic, slow and relatively few accidents given the chaos.

Another reminder that half the people in the AP team are from countries with bad traffic. Not new to them ;)

This is Ashok's home town.

nak.jpg
In Bangalore, I was scared to cross the street. You see old ladies walk right through the moving traffic and it just kind of flows around them.

I guess it works most of the time but you'd better not hesitate. The drivers are extrapolating the pedestrian path for planning, but they certainly aren't considering "multiple VRU futures" even though I sure was!

• Funny
In Bangalore, I was scared to cross the street. You see old ladies walk right through the moving traffic and it just kind of flows around them.

I guess it works most of the time but you'd better not hesitate. The drivers are extrapolating the pedestrian path for planning, but they certainly aren't considering "multiple VRU futures" even though I sure was!
In a similar situation for a work trip, I was told by the local employees to keep walking at the same speed and that if I stop or slow down, I'll die.

Reactions: Ramphex and JHCCAZ
In a similar situation for a work trip, I was told by the local employees to keep walking at the same speed and that if I stop or slow down, I'll die.
Exactly.

Did you notice that if you wait too long and look uncomfortable to cross the street, a helpful young man will materialize from nowhere? To guide you across and then insistently try to guide you into various shops where he can get you a good deal because he "knows" the owners...

• Funny
Reactions: Ramphex and mgs333