Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
I have a friend who works for Tesla and he’s still on 11.3.6. He checked to see if he could see 11.4.2 and it wasn’t available to him this evening.
Friend at Tesla??? Well that is awesome 👌.
I nominate you as the fact checker for all of our back and forth statements and
Theories! Put us in our place when your friend knows we are wrong and don't forget to let us know in the off chance we say something accurate!

2 surprising behaviors on my drive today. V11.3.6
  • Large puddle on my side of the road (unmarked). FSD went partway into the other lane to avoid the puddle.
  • Merged onto highways twice today. Both times FSD moved over well before the end of the merge lane.
Wait…an unmarked puddle? That’s clearly an edge case!

Well, I drove home from my cabin taking a different route (primarily 2 lane state highways, still about 150 miles over 2 hrs, 45 minutes) and FSD had some minor issues but managed the entire drive without any interventions or disengagements.
  • There were a couple times it started to take a turn lane rather than going straight. It realized the mistake, signaled and got over into the proper lane without issue. I’d rather it stay in the correct lane to begin with but at least it’s doing better…
  • back in Minneapolis it managed to take a cloverleaf exit and merge off of then cloverleaf by itself. It did have a ‘lead car’ to follow when exiting, so I don’t know if that helped it or not and it was a bit slow to accelerate coming off of the cloverleaf.
  • This route also had 3 separate roundabouts, all of which were handled perfectly. (One of them had a dedicated lane so it really wasn’t a true roundabout when it came to what FSD needed to do.)
1684723473070.png

The lane selection and reasons for lane change continue to be hilarious many times. Obviously the next big thing they have to keep working on to get better at.
At least one of my (previously) completely repeatable lane change errors stopped happening last week, and has not come back. This was where it always tried to move out of the leftmost lane about a half mile before a major double-lane left turn. I had to cancel the lane change, or proactively disengage, every single day for at least 2 months - then suddenly, no longer a problem.

A few other apparent, if less certain, changes/improvements. I'm quite convinced at this point that the map details download is having a significant effect, within the span of the same software release.

Last edited:
I think how you feel about FSDb is directly proportional to your normal style of driving. I’m more defensive so I get nervous at some of the aggressive maneuvers and disengage, whereas my sister in law is an aggressive driver and thinks it’s perfect as it mirrors what she would have done. It definitely does not react to no turn on red signs, it’ll turn right on red all day long, and I think it stops to early for stop signs, then does this creep up, jerky thing, while looking at traffic, infuriating those behind me.

I think how you feel about FSDb is directly proportional to your normal style of driving. I’m more defensive so I get nervous at some of the aggressive maneuvers and disengage, whereas my sister in law is an aggressive driver and thinks it’s perfect as it mirrors what she would have done. It definitely does not react to no turn on red signs, it’ll turn right on red all day long, and I think it stops to early for stop signs, then does this creep up, jerky thing, while looking at traffic, infuriating those behind me.
Get a grey wig and some old man glasses, and adjust your seat so that you're hunched over the wheel. Maybe an AARP bumpersticker. This will mitigate some of the annoyance from others, who are trying to understand what the h- - - you are doing.

It's easier for me, as I don't need the disguise at this point.

He never said rolled out to who. For all we know this was referring to employees but who really knows.
Actually that would/should be a statement like: "Employee testing starting this weekend and rollout soon after". When making a public announcement about a product employee testing is internal (the opposite of OUT) and rollOUT is out to consumers.

Last edited:
I have a friend who works for Tesla and he’s still on 11.3.6. He checked to see if he could see 11.4.2 and it wasn’t available to him this evening.

Friend at Tesla??? Well that is awesome 👌.
I nominate you as the fact checker for all of our back and forth statements and
Theories! Put us in our place when your friend knows we are wrong and don't forget to let us know in the off chance we say something accurate!
Cool! Also, my uncle totally works at Nintendo and says the Switch Pro is coming out this summer and is launching with a brand new Mario game with ultra-realistic graphics so Mario can look like Chris Pratt ;)

• Funny
Reactions: FSDtester#1