Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Just watching MKBHD's review of FSD Beta now (link for those who haven't seen it, yet). It makes me realize that V11 may be safer than 10.69 just from a user-expectation/user-error perspective.

At several points during the video, he confuses FSD Beta and NOA; expecting his FSD settings to apply to NOA, and expecting NOA to recognize and avoid obstacles like FSD. As well-informed consumers, we know that FSD Beta switches over to NOA on highways, but the average user may not know that.

with the massive caveat that it was only available to people that hadn't updated their cars to 2022.40 yet
Looks like the current rollout of FSD Beta 10.69.3.3 is different from previous rollouts with seemingly new testers added at the same time that early access / pre-Safety-Score group got it. Notably so far TeslaFi shows about half of the updates to 2022.40.4.10 are not existing testers with at least 1 so far updating from 2022.40.4.1. Somewhat expected that this new version of FSD Beta will include people who updated their cars to 2022.40 for an even wider release.

a 2-part holiday update with v11 coming in part 2
At least so far those in FSD Beta group haven't gotten Holiday Update Part 1, and given the different rollout behavior of FSD Beta 10.69.3.3, maybe Tesla is intentionally testing something in preparation for a Part 2. This could include FSD Beta 11's single stack and eventually go to all those who already received Part 1 as well as those with FSD Beta basically combining the two software tracks for most of us.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
As well-informed consumers, we know that FSD Beta switches over to NOA on highways, but the average user may not know that
Yeah, the main indication right now is FSD Beta stack shows red lines for for curbs and road edges as well as yellow lines whereas NoA shows gray lines. Adding to the confusion is a situation like this where FSD Beta is still active during this onramp / merge:
mkbhd highway.jpg

But actually driving on this highway soon switched over to NoA which was "limited" / failed to take the exit due to construction, but single stack probably would have taken it just fine. This specific situation where he got honked at is also a good example of highway-prioritized changes being addressed with FSD Beta 11 where it's not as appropriate to just slow down:
  • Improved lane changes to allow higher jerk maneuvers if required to stay on-route or to move away from lane blockages.
  • Improved merging behavior by leveraging lane geometry and lane bounds, association with coarse map information and better gap selection algorithms, allowing for smoother and safer experience.

Time has just run out for the roll out of V11 before Christmas Eve
Looks like they're still aiming for potentially before Christmas Eve / Saturday December 24th / end of next week:

Unclear if that means FSD Beta 11 to early access or wider for Safety Score group or integrated into a production build for everyone that probably wouldn't explicitly be called "FSD Beta 11" anymore. And as most of us here probably know, this could turn out like many of the previous date predictions about FSD Beta 11.

Looks like they're still aiming for potentially before Christmas Eve / Saturday December 24th / end of next week:

Unclear if that means FSD Beta 11 to early access or wider for Safety Score group or integrated into a production build for everyone that probably wouldn't explicitly be called "FSD Beta 11" anymore. And as most of us here probably know, this could turn out like many of the previous date predictions about FSD Beta 11.
'Next week' is pretty much Elon's standard answer for everything.

yeah it's cool to set goals, but I'm going to go ahead and not put any faith in it at this point. So far for v11 we've heard 'Before Thanksgiving', then 'still on for Before thanksgiving' (said on the day before thanksgiving), then on dec 5 it was 'next week or so', now on dec 15 it's 'next week' again. We've been between 1 day and 1 week for ~5 weeks now. I'll gladly use it when it comes, but I'm not going to place any bets that I'll be using it by christmas, or even new years.

yeah it's cool to set goals, but I'm going to go ahead and not put any faith in it at this point. So far for v11 we've heard 'Before Thanksgiving', then 'still on for Before thanksgiving' (said on the day before thanksgiving), then on dec 5 it was 'next week or so', now on dec 15 it's 'next week' again. We've been between 1 day and 1 week for ~5 weeks now. I'll gladly use it when it comes, but I'm not going to place any bets that I'll be using it by christmas, or even new years.
Don't forget it ALREADY "rolled out " on 11/11 at 11PM. 🤣 🤣 Then I guess it was recalled.🤔🙃

Screenshot 2022-12-16 at 6.06.06 AM.png

Don't forget it ALREADY "rolled out " on 11/11 at 11PM. 🤣 🤣 Then I guess it was recalled.🤔🙃
In case you weren't sure, FSD Beta 11 did go out to some employee vehicles on 11/11 11:11pm pacific time:

It's an automated message when their service detects a new version. It shows no current vehicles as Tesla is more strictly enforcing their NDAs for this special release, and Teslascope allows its users to hide vehicle software status, which it seems like this vehicle enabled after the fact after being reminded about the NDA.

There might have been additional updates since this 2022.40.5 to this subset of stricter-NDA employees, but at least so far, we haven't had leaks of those. Potentially with all this secrecy, we won't hear anything else about the progress of FSD Beta 11 until it goes to wide release as part of Holiday Update Part 2.

It's possible that the current plan is to roll out FSD beta 11.x to all cars that are in, or requested, FSD beta and 10.69.3.3 to the rest of the FSD cars. This gives time for wide scale testing of FSDb 11.x before rolling out to the entire FSD fleet, yet still allows Tesla to achieve the goal of delivering FSDb to everyone by end of year.

This would require merging 10.69.3.3 into the holiday update. Hopefully, 11.x will as well so we all get caught up.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I am seeing a bunch of folks getting 40.4.10 (FSDb 69.3.3) and not to 40.5 (FSDb V11). Which makes me think that they think the FSDb needs more testing before the merge. I don't know why they would be doing that if the plan was to roll out V11 next week. But what do I know?

I am seeing a bunch of folks getting 40.4.10 (FSDb 69.3.3) and not to 40.5 (FSDb V11). Which makes me think that they think the FSDb needs more testing before the merge. I don't know why they would be doing that if the plan was to roll out V11 next week. But what do I know?
I just got my first taste of FSDb 2022.40.4.10. There still is work to be done before a wider release. Just my opinion.

I just got 40.4.10. Although it contains the 69.3.3 FSD Beta, I see none of the features promised for the holiday release, such as auto signal cancel after lane changes. Why this update, if the Christmas update or V11 is to come out next week. I am guessing the Christmas party is going to be late this year.

I just got 40.4.10. Although it contains the 69.3.3 FSD Beta, I see none of the features promised for the holiday release, such as auto signal cancel after lane changes. Why this update, if the Christmas update or V11 is to come out next week. I am guessing the Christmas party is going to be late this year.
The Xmas party looks to be three fold.
I got my present after 4 years 11 months FSDb (v10).
Some get the Xmas update without v11
Last and a little later is Xmas update with v11.
Everyone is different, which present will make you happy?

I
FSDb 11.x is not going to be released widely next week. There is not enough time to do a staged release. At best, 11.x may start a slow rollout, like what we've seen with 10.69.3.3, with employees getting it, followed by a limited public rollout followed by widespread rollout. Assuming that there are no major issues found in the early rollouts, 11.x might go to everyone just before New Years. But, more likely, there will be issue that require more work. I see this as a low probability.

FSDb 10.69.3.3 is likely to go out to all FSDb testers in the next day or two. If, as I expect, 11.x falls flat, then 10.69.3.3 will probably be rolled into something like 2022.44.25.3 and rolled out to all FSD cars.

This gives Tesla two shots at delivering FSDb to everyone by the end of the year.

Reactions: sleepydoc and Dewg
I assume that if I’m on 2022.40.200, I can’t update to 2022.40.4.10, and will likely have to wait until FSDb gets to at least 2022.44.X before I’ll be able to get on it? Are the .200, .300 etc builds ones that are only installed from the factory? Seems like very few people have these versions, and the numbering format seems a bit different than the normal version numbers everyone is talking about.

I assume that if I’m on 2022.40.200, I can’t update to 2022.40.4.10, and will likely have to wait until FSDb gets to at least 2022.44.X before I’ll be able to get on it? Are the .200, .300 etc builds ones that are only installed from the factory? Seems like very few people have these versions, and the numbering format seems a bit different than the normal version numbers everyone is talking about.
x.100's are factory installed and only on new cars. It can take from a few days to several weeks before you get your first update. When it is offered just make sure its is not a higher version number than Beta is at the time. Could be by then that they are the same but no one knows.